Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at up and coming cars boasting large number outputs from their V6 engines, and people seemingly 'surprised' responses, I thought I might just point out that many of those numbers are coming from turbo-charged equipment. The SHO and Genesis, I believe, both dote 300+ HP from a V6 for this reason.

The exception might be the V6 (DOHC VVT) Camaro, which suggests 304HP without any apparent forced induction.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wrong, it takes only a minute to research all the facts. Here's the list of cars with 300HP+ naturally aspirated engines.

Hyundai Genesis = 3.8L 306HP N/A
Nissan 370Z = 3.7L 332HP N/A
Infiniti G37 = 3.7L 330HP N/A
Camaro LS/LT = 3.6L 304HP N/A
Cadillac CTS = 3.6L 304HP N/A

And turbocharged V6's.

Ford Taurus SHO = 3.5L 365HP TT
BMW 135/335 = 3.0L 300HP TT

Getting 300HP out of a V6 isn't that challenging anymore, it just takes some cutting edge tech, but at least 3 companies are doing it already.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Getting 300HP out of a V6 isn't that challenging anymore, it just takes some cutting edge tech, but at least 3 companies are doing it already.
Yeah, not that challenging at all. We were getting 300+hp from 2.7L twin turbo Audi V6's back in 2000 with only a mild chip tune. With a few grand in mods, that engine was putting out 400+hp and I've driven 2 S4's with heavy mods that were over 500hp on pump gas with the stock internals.

Best,

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
and then thers cars like the aforementioned 335 that are only like 305 from the factory that are so detuned, stupid numbers can be attained by merely changing the tune. (via a dynin sp? chip)

the problem is,
cars like the 350/370z and G35/37 were built as performance vehicles, with performance engines.
they are the top of the line in their area of cars by that manufacturer.
they are costly, and very well built.

the dodge v6 in the charger/challenger was not built/designed to be teh fastest of that group of cars.

dodge could build a wicked v6, but if they wanted a performance v6, they would not put it in a 4200 lb+ car, just like all of the above listed MFG's didnt (well except the camaro)

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Getting 300 from a V6 is child's play these days.

and the G37 is 350 hp here. not 332. Our requirements are less strict. So there you have a V6 coupe that will decimate an RT.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Getting 300 from a V6 is child's play these days.

and the G37 is 350 hp here. not 332. Our requirements are less strict. So there you have a V6 coupe that will decimate an RT.
a stock R/T :)

they have the weight that really kills us tho,

look at the pricetag and theyre far more costly as well.

all in all, theyd be a great car to own, but expensive to modify

·
Registered
2020 Sinamon Stick Charger Scatpack
233 Posts
The G37 only has 270lbft of torque. They weigh over 3600lbs too. I don't see a G37 smoking a stock RT. Horsepower is nice but torque is king.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The G37 only has 270lbft of torque. They weigh over 3600lbs too. I don't see a G37 smoking a stock RT. Horsepower is nice but torque is king.

As far as smoking---no, beating closely---yes. I took a quick minute to check the specs as tested at Motor Trend.

09 370z 09 Charger R/T

0-60 4.7sec 0-60 5.1sec
1/4mile 13.3 @ 105.7 1/4mile 13.6 @ 104.7

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
a stock R/T :)

they have the weight that really kills us tho,

look at the pricetag and theyre far more costly as well.

all in all, theyd be a great car to own, but expensive to modify
LOL. trust me, I meant a stock RT. Aint no G37 smoking me or many RTs on here.

MOre costly, yes, but they are (supposedly) a "Luxury coupe" I test drove one and it is fooking cramped.

But a 370Z would weigh a bit less, and comes with a 6 speed manual... There are guys with TT setups on these cars doing 450+ whp in stock motors. Thats not a little.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, PPP has a 5.7 Challenger throwing down over 500 rwhp with bolt ons and a blower. I don't see why a Charger couldn't do the same. The G37 is a nice car though.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
This is just my personal opinion, but the charger RT (not SRT) has a POS stock engine that threw a rod for me around 375 whp. I applaud PPP for being able to pull that off (Ive bought a few grand in parts from them after all,) but I'd never do that.

The G37 has the "big brother" of the G35's engine. one of the top 10 engines in the world almost 10 years running. My brother has an fx35, it is really a well built car in every way.

But like I also said earlier, the charger and the infiniti brand arent in the same category. a 300c might be able to be compared to the G37 or M45 sedans. maybe. but a challenger and G37 are 2 very different cars for 2 very different minded people.

My brother would by the G37, cause he wants to drive up to a "talk of the town" night club and impress the girls who just turned 19, I'd buy the Chally cause I wanna scare the crap out of *******s driving 911s on the highway. lol.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
This is just my personal opinion, but the charger RT (not SRT) has a POS stock engine that threw a rod for me around 375 whp. I applaud PPP for being able to pull that off (Ive bought a few grand in parts from them after all,) but I'd never do that.

The G37 has the "big brother" of the G35's engine. one of the top 10 engines in the world almost 10 years running. My brother has an fx35, it is really a well built car in every way.

But like I also said earlier, the charger and the infiniti brand arent in the same category. a 300c might be able to be compared to the G37 or M45 sedans. maybe. but a challenger and G37 are 2 very different cars for 2 very different minded people.

My brother would by the G37, cause he wants to drive up to a "talk of the town" night club and impress the girls who just turned 19, I'd buy the Chally cause I wanna scare the crap out of *******s driving 911s on the highway. lol.

hehehe...I like your thinkin!!!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
233 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x2!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, PPP has a 5.7 Challenger throwing down over 500 rwhp with bolt ons and a blower. I don't see why a Charger couldn't do the same. The G37 is a nice car though.

The original post was about stock v-6. But, if you follow this link http://www.injectedblog.com/category/dyno-sessions/ you'll see a 650hp 350z & a few 400 + hp with the 3.5liter motor not the 3.7. Give credit where it's due. Nissan/Infiniti has built a great car. I worked on them for years & the newer stuff is far better than what they used to produce. When we got our Charger it was a toss up between a G35 Sedan & the R/T. We chose the R/t due to size & riding comfort.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No doubt Nissan makes one of the best 6 banger engines out there. I've been in two Maximas before my Charger, with the VQ30 (1997) and the VQ30-K (2000) engines ... they're extremely admirable performers (remember Maximas are FWD) but most importantly, I've had 0 issues with both at over 110k (along with the rest of the car). From what I've read, the modern descendants (VQ35) are even better.

If future Chargers suck, look bad, or don't exist, I would not hesitate one moment to jump right back into a Maxima or G35.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
When we got our Charger it was a toss up between a G35 Sedan & the R/T. We chose the R/t due to size & riding comfort.
Yeah, I was in the same boat. I was considering the G35x to replace my A6 when I literally stumbled on the local Dodge dealer. The RT that I drive now was sitting in their showroom. I ultimately picked the RT because it was more comfortable and it had substantially more back seat and trunk space (for hauling kids and their gear). I'm kinda digging the new G37 sedan though.

Best,

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
No doubt Nissan makes one of the best 6 banger engines out there. I've been in two Maximas before my Charger, with the VQ30 (1997) and the VQ30-K (2000) engines ... they're extremely admirable performers (remember Maximas are FWD) but most importantly, I've had 0 issues with both at over 110k (along with the rest of the car). From what I've read, the modern descendants (VQ35) are even better.

If future Chargers suck, look bad, or don't exist, I would not hesitate one moment to jump right back into a Maxima or G35.
hehe, have you been in a G?
the 3.5L in the G is not the same motor, whether it be from tuning, compression, or wahtever, that is in the maxima. the maxima is crazy detuned.

Yeah, I was in the same boat. I was considering the G35x to replace my A6 when I literally stumbled on the local Dodge dealer. The RT that I drive now was sitting in their showroom. I ultimately picked the RT because it was more comfortable and it had substantially more back seat and trunk space (for hauling kids and their gear). I'm kinda digging the new G37 sedan though.

Best,
while i respect the G37 for what it is... i think they put too much of a femenine look into it.
i was really looking forward to it until i saw it in person. its just too curvaceous for me. i really love the G35 styling and wished they kept it a little bit more similar.

at least i can tell them apart quickly tho haha.

the 350z and 370z just dont do it for me either. they both look too boy-racer (and im only 22!)

i have a lot of respect for the cars tho, or at least i did when i was closer to stock ;)

·
Registered
856 Posts
As far as smoking---no, beating closely---yes. I took a quick minute to check the specs as tested at Motor Trend.

09 370z 09 Charger R/T

0-60 4.7sec 0-60 5.1sec
1/4mile 13.3 @ 105.7 1/4mile 13.6 @ 104.7
which motor trend did you get 5.1 for a new charger RT the lowest i have seen in any magazine is around 5.4 at the lowest and that included motor trend. and i have ridden in one and it doesnt seem any faster than an 06-08. .3 seconds in the quarter is about 3 or 4 car lengths i believe. i dont like the G37 but give it its dues.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i stil dont understand people who care about 0-60 times.
its all about the tire.
you could change the tires on a new R/T and pick up a couple tenths in the 0-60 easily

granted the same applies to any sort of timed racing, but i think the 0-60 times dont tell half the story for most cars.

as you can see, the 370 has a .4 better 0-60 but only a .3 better 1/4.

--

btw your reading stats for an 09 R/T? thats a whole different animal than what 95% of the owners on here drive. ive seen them dyno at 345 rwhp bone stock, where we dyno at 280 bone stock.

so you go run your 08 and earlier stock R/T on a 370 and watch him walk you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Guys what about the best stock Nissan on the road that's V6 turbo power called Godzilla........... GTR. 3.3 in the 0-60. This car stock would crush the vast majority of modified LX cars. Point being is that a v6 is able to push massive HP.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts