Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Charger used with 31,000 miles on it. I recently found out from the dealer that a tune up is every 30,000. Is there any way i can find out if a tune up was done? My car rides good and doesnt have any problems with the engine. If i do it myself will that have any affect on warranty status?

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
"Tune ups" on modern engines are generally little more than maintenance items. Take a look in the owner's manual and see what applies. Only the items in the owner's manual are required to keep your warranty status. Probably nothing more than replacing the spark plugs, oil and filter, air cleaner, and for your AWD changing the transfer case fluid. Most of this can be done in a couple hours in your garage. Any more than what is in the owner's manual is either "feel good" for you or an upsell by the dealership.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Spark plugs are advisable if not done. Ask the dealer - they should know... if not, you're going to have to see if it's acting weird (such as rough idle or abnormally low MPG) and change them yourself. Other than that and the air filter, you don't have much to worry about.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I purchased my Charger used with 31,000 miles on it. I recently found out from the dealer that a tune up is every 30,000. Is there any way i can find out if a tune up was done? My car rides good and doesnt have any problems with the engine. If i do it myself will that have any affect on warranty status?
Front differential fluid should be changed, rear differential fluid should be changed as well as the transfer case lubricant.

Also look at the Electro-Hydraulic Steering Fluid to be changed. The pump/module assembly is $1060.00 to replace and there is not much fluid to activate it.

We can provide the best versions of all these fluids for you that will really protect your 2011!:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If you'd Charger needs the plugs changed... you can do it yourself with basic hand tools. Most of the posts indicate the dealerships charge $500+ :bangin:. I changed them myself 3 separate times in my 07, in just over an hour, taking my time. Just don't forget the dielectric grease and anti seize. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Trans fluid isnt on the list?

·
Registered
6 Posts
32,000 Miles (52,000 km) or 24 Months Maintenance Service
Schedule
❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
❏ Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before
32,000 miles (52 000 km).
❏ Replace the engine air cleaner filter.
❏ Replace the air conditioning filter.
❏ Replace the spark plugs (5.7L Engine).
❏ Adjust parking brake on vehicles equipped with four-wheel disc brakes.
❏ Inspect the brake linings, replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for
damage, wear, improper looseness or end play; replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the transfer case fluid — All Wheel Drive (AWD).

You can download your manual here:

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why do we need to change the plugs so soon. Is this just at the first 30k or will plugs need to be changed very 30k?

thanks in advance

32,000 Miles (52,000 km) or 24 Months Maintenance Service
Schedule
❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
❏ Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before
32,000 miles (52 000 km).
❏ Replace the engine air cleaner filter.
❏ Replace the air conditioning filter.
❏ Replace the spark plugs (5.7L Engine).
❏ Adjust parking brake on vehicles equipped with four-wheel disc brakes.
❏ Inspect the brake linings, replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for
damage, wear, improper looseness or end play; replace if necessary.
❏ Inspect the transfer case fluid — All Wheel Drive (AWD).

You can download your manual here:

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why do we need to change the plugs so soon. Is this just at the first 30k or will plugs need to be changed very 30k?

thanks in advance
Copper plugs conduct electricity better, but don't last as long as platinum or iridium. Apparently Chrysler decided that for the hemi they needed the better conduction. The V6 goes 100,000 miles before needing new plugs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Copper plugs conduct electricity better, but don't last as long as platinum or iridium. Apparently Chrysler decided that for the hemi they needed the better conduction. The V6 goes 100,000 miles before needing new plugs.

And has less plugs :)

-Mitch
2014 SXT Plus AWD w/ Sport Appearance Package

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Spark plugs are advisable if not done. Ask the dealer - they should know... if not, you're going to have to see if it's acting weird (such as rough idle or abnormally low MPG) and change them yourself. Other than that and the air filter, you don't have much to worry about.
I wouldn't ask the dealer, they go by their own set of rules hence always trying to get you to change your oil every three thousand miles. If you need to figure out what you need to do check out your car manual. :beerchug:

·
Registered
200 Posts
As I approach 30K on my R/T, I was wondering about the plugs as well. I plan to do it myself, but am considering platinum tipped plugs. Aside from the additional cost, is there any reason why I shouldn't use them? Every car I've owned for the last 15 years has come with platinum tipped plugs and IIRC, police Chargers have them.

·
Registered
575 Posts

thanks in advance
It's a Hemi.

I wouldn't ask the dealer, they go by their own set of rules hence always trying to get you to change your oil every three thousand miles. If you need to figure out what you need to do check out your car manual. :beerchug:
Good advice. Some dealers will make up their own list.
I remember taking my Taurus into the Ford dealer in the 90s. Guy had a list a mile long and would require a second mortgage on the car to pay for.
All BS. All profit.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
It's a Hemi.

I remember taking my Taurus into the Ford dealer in the 90s. Guy had a list a mile long and would require a second mortgage on the car to pay for.
All BS. All profit.
If I had listened to everything the dealership told me to do I'd be broke and probably have to sell my car lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a Hemi.

All BS. All profit.
My 2007 6.1L Charger was a Hemi too, I didnt change those plugs at 30K that's why I was curious.

How about Iridium plugs? They made a world of difference in my GM.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Everything I've ever read about 5.7 HEMI's has pointed towards copper plugs being what the engine should have, not the manufacturer simply trying to save some money. It's a job to do every 2-3 years depending on how much you drive and how you drive, and not an expensive one as long as you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My 2007 6.1L Charger was a Hemi too, I didnt change those plugs at 30K that's why I was curious.

How about Iridium plugs? They made a world of difference in my GM.
6.1 hemi plugs good for 100k miles

5.7 hemi plugs good for 30k miles

1 - 20 of 20 Posts