Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
This was my solution

IAfter hearing that god awful price quote I decided to find alternative solutions to this rip off.

I took her to the dealer for an oil change and threw Mobil 1 synthetic in. After that I bought a can of Sea Foam threw it in the Tank and drove her hard in order to get my engine nice and hot, had a little funky exhaust and a poof of white smoke and that was it.

I have a K&N air filter, and as a result of this I bought my 10.00 recharge kit and cleaned her up nicely.

The dealer checked my tranny fluid and it was clean. It wasn't dirty or burnt. and it was within normal levels I believe this was a rip off.
I need to get my 30,000 service on my daytona charger
I also need my transmission flushed.
New air filter, etc.
How much should this cost?

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you got a HEMI, your spark plugs are due too. . .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What price were you quoted?
I have no desire to spend all day tryng to get the back spark pluggs out.

IAfter hearing that god awful price quote I decided to find alternative solutions to this rip off.

I took her to the dealer for an oil change and threw Mobil 1 synthetic in. After that I bought a can of Sea Foam threw it in the Tank and drove her hard in order to get my engine nice and hot, had a little funky exhaust and a poof of white smoke and that was it.

I have a K&N air filter, and as a result of this I bought my 10.00 recharge kit and cleaned her up nicely.

The dealer checked my tranny fluid and it was clean. It wasn't dirty or burnt. and it was within normal levels I believe this was a rip off.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
When I took my HEMI for 30,000 mile service it cost me about $500
It was worth EVERY PENNY :lol:
Changed the oil ,All 16 Spark Plugs, Flushed the tranny an put new tranny fluid, an some other services cant remember all of it.
Runnin strong

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I dont consider DIY cheap.

2/3 of that price is probably Labor. If youre fully competent,why give your money away. If you have a money tree in your back yard, let me have a branch!

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I thought the tranny oil was good for 100K?
Heh...maybe if you only want your transmission to last 100K. I'd change it every 25-30K miles. I'm not going to bother with a full flush, just dump the fluid, change the filter, and refill. I'm going to have to get around to buying that special diagnostic tool that only the dealer has for our transmission. Most cars come with a transmission dipstick, but apparently trans fluid levels are top secret dealer info these days.

Best,

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I dont consider DIY cheap.

2/3 of that price is probably Labor. If youre fully competent,why give your money away. If you have a money tree in your back yard, let me have a branch!
I probably will DIY except for the transmission as it is just too messy. When I get into the new house and I've got my own lift again, perhaps I'll re-evaluate that. It's just a supreme PITA to drop the trans pan on ramps laying on a creeper.

Best,

·
Registered
523 Posts

I hope you changed your oil again after adding Seafoam. It's great stuff but is supposed to be added "before" you do an oil change. I would not recommend running that in your engine for another 3K miles.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I hope you changed your oil again after adding Seafoam. It's great stuff but is supposed to be added "before" you do an oil change. I would not recommend running that in your engine for another 3K miles.
Seafoam is just a solvent. It's mostly alcohol and naptha. Putting it in your gas is probably harmless, but likely serves no real purpose. In the olden days, it might have soaked up water in your tank (but since most of us have 10% ethanol in our gas right from the pump now, that benefit is moot) and in higher concentrations might have removed a little gum/varnish from your injectors. If you REALLY want to have a chance at cleaning those injectors, dump a gallon or two of Toluene into a tank of gas. You can buy it by the gallon at most paint stores and it also makes a nice octane booster (it's 114 octane). That will clean out your injectors pronto with a minimum of fuss.

Best,

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I probably will DIY except for the transmission as it is just too messy. When I get into the new house and I've got my own lift again, perhaps I'll re-evaluate that. It's just a supreme PITA to drop the trans pan on ramps laying on a creeper.

Best,
I agree 100% on that one, and was thinking about it, but failed to mention it. I was in a rush earlier. In any even the rest of the service is a few $$ in parts and time, Ill definatly let them do the fluid change, and still come out well ahead. :)

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
I agree 100% on that one, and was thinking about it, but failed to mention it. I was in a rush earlier. In any even the rest of the service is a few $$ in parts and time, Ill definatly let them do the fluid change, and still come out well ahead. :)
Yep. The plugs are only a minor hassle. Well within the capabilities of your average DIY person. The filter is a 2 minute job. If I was a struggling student or something I'd tough out the trans pan/filter, but it just isn't worth the hassle at this jucture. :)

Best,

·
Registered
87 Posts
Say what you want but a good buddy of mine works at the dealership and my car is fine. So if you want to cough up 500.00 in unnecessary maintenance that you could perform your self that's on you.
yeah do not buy a car like ours then be cheap on the service run the proper stuff to begin with....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Apparently you didnt comprehend me

I added the Seafoam prior to switching my oil over to MObil 1 Synthetic. The key word here is "PRIOR"

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Say what you want but a good buddy of mine works at the dealership and my car is fine. So if you want to cough up 500.00 in unnecessary maintenance that you could perform your self that's on you.
Define unnecessary maintenance. Is an oil change unnecessary? Air filters? Wiper blades? Battery terminals clean? Wash or Wax? Change Tranny fluid?

Dodge and all manufactures recommend maintenance.

Treat your car right and she will treat you well. If you elect to do your own maintenance, keep all receipts and make sure that you use factory approved or OEM parts for warranty claims.

Since I get a loaner car, the dealership is where I have mine serviced. Very easy fast and competitively priced.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.