Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i pull out of my driveway when i hear a loud pop, as im slowing down i hear a radaling noise coming from my center cap on my rim. so i pull over and pop open my center cap and out come 3 lug nuts.. the worst part is that all 3 snaped with the screws still in the lug nuts..just got towed today.. what a prodject

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
I posted a message for people to check their lug nut torque. I found one so tight, it snapped my 1/2" drive socket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got 22" on it... my brother has the 300 and i took them of his car and it fit perfectaly.. the guy at the dealer ship called me and said its not under warrenty and it gunna cost me close to 4 hundred to fix.. this day sux..

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Don't let the dealer do the work. Go to a tire store, a local store would be best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya im not gunna let the dealership do it. i no a guy who owns a shop and he said he can do it for so much cheaper. just a pain in the ass cause now i gotta get it towed from the dealer to the garage..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you put the 5x4.50" wheels on your 5x115mm vehicle? You're bad. The difference is .030" in diameter or .015" all the way around the bolt circle. This means that the lugs contact on one side of the lug hole. When you torque them down, they bend the studs putting side load on them. Studs are made to be stretched and not bent. Your lucky that it didn't happen at 70 MPH. If they are 5x115MM, than it's a mystery to me. Maybe you have the wrong lug style for the wheels.
Radshop

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
installing wheel studs is extremely easy to do, why take it to a shop?
the hardest part would probaly be to find the correct studs.

tap the old stud out with a punch, put some oil on the splines of the new stud, stick it in the hole, put a couple of washers on it, some oil on the threads and tighten a lug nut down till its seated.

its not the BEST way to installing, but not everyone has a press.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
installing wheel studs is extremely easy to do, why take it to a shop?
the hardest part would probaly be to find the correct studs.

tap the old stud out with a punch, put some oil on the splines of the new stud, stick it in the hole, put a couple of washers on it, some oil on the threads and tighten a lug nut down till its seated.

its not the BEST way to installing, but not everyone has a press.
That's a good way of doing it if you're careful. :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
That's a good way of doing it if you're careful. :)
for some reason i was having a problem with the lugs screwing up the thread on the studs on my Rams rear axle (i didnt have a problem tightening the lug nut down finger tight and i dont use an impact either), i had to do 6 of them like that.

now when i rebuilt the 1 ton axles on my K5 Blazer, those were easy to do on the press since they were just hubs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts