Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
10,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several people that have contacted us with the concern about the relatively recent discovery of the 3.6L Pentastar cylinder 2 misfire problem.

Apparently, after some research and discussions with internal engineers and ASE certified techs, it has been found that the #2 cylinder causes a misfire due to a machining irregularly in the valve guide area. The valve in the guide is loose. It is surmised that the tapered endmill used for the head in #2 cylinder valve guide internal or external was the wrong size.

As is known with robots, if the robot has a problem and it is repeatable, it will repeat the failure for the given time period. Be it 1 shift, 1 day, or one week, these problems will then end up in the field. Only early 3.6L Pentastar V6 engines seem to be affected.

Allpar reported on this as well, but didn't give the details for this issue.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/06/fix-coming-for-rare-pentastar-problem

If your 3.6L comes up with a misfire in cylinder 2 over and over, you probably have the issue. The new cylinder heads are going to be available soon. For now, the very few people that have the issue will be taken care of as the parts come available.

So far, my 2011 Grand Caravan R/T and my wife's 2011 Avenger Lux don't see to be exhibiting the issue in cylinder #2. Both engines were made on or after 5/2011. :bigthumb:

FYI

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I will hold back until the 8spd is available on HEMI's or a S/C V6.

On my two recent long trips(Eugene to Seattle and back) I hit as high as 28.5mpg on i5 at around 65mph. Not too bad if this trend continues.

·
Registered
281 Posts
xkm, pretty sure Dodge confirmed that the 8spd will be standard on the 2014 Hemis :)
Along with rumors of a supercharged 6.2L.

On topic:

Kinda sucks for the 3.6 owners, but glad that dodge was able to rectify the issue and new heads are on the way :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2012 Chrysler 300... today while driving in stop and go traffic the engine just died out. I dont think I have the problem but could this have been cause by transmission as I did take off fast and then slowed down pretty quickly... this was on and off of course. Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts