Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, but in reviewing many of the Diablo Predator threads, I find that answers are very scattered, and not clear if the same results and or set up are for V6's or V8's. If there is already an existing thread to where I can find these answers, can someone point me in the right direction? Below are a few questions...I have an 06 3.5L V6 with 75K miles. Rather than trading in at this point, I've decided to save some money and keep her for at least another couple years. So, I'd like to compensate for any power loss over the years by getting a predator. My only performance mods so far is a K & N intake, and Exhaust Depot dual.

-right now i'm on 89 octane w/out the pred. I see that there are different octane tunes for the Pred. Would switching to the higest ocatne, and tuning the Pred to high octane mean better performance the higher I go?

-What exactly does "firmer shift points" mean? The distance between the shifts, or the actual shift itself?

-Does firmer shift points apply to when the car is in auto, or just auto-stik only?

-I've also been considering a ported throttle body. Would this boost the performance with a pred even more?

-Does the pred come with any pre-set tunes depending on octane to provide the best settings performance wise? Or does everything have to be customized by the user? For instance, my car is my daily driver, but of course I would want the best and fastest tune...all the time. Would that make sense for a daily driver?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm not too savvy on the tuning aspect of these cars. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Answered below:

-right now i'm on 89 octane w/out the pred. I see that there are different octane tunes for the Pred. Would switching to the higest ocatne, and tuning the Pred to high octane mean better performance the higher I go?

In short, yes. If you're going to use the 93 octane tune, make sure you fill up once with 93, rrun it dry and fill up again to get rid the old gas 100%.

-What exactly does "firmer shift points" mean? The distance between the shifts, or the actual shift itself?

The actual shift. When you are accelerating at a good pace and it shifts, you feel it a lot more. You can set the shift points as well (in some cases) but that's different.

-Does firmer shift points apply to when the car is in auto, or just auto-stik only?

Either one.

-I've also been considering a ported throttle body. Would this boost the performance with a pred even more?

Not by itself. The more you do to get more air into the engine, the better performance you can get by adding more fuel in a custom tune.

-Does the pred come with any pre-set tunes depending on octane to provide the best settings performance wise? Or does everything have to be customized by the user? For instance, my car is my daily driver, but of course I would want the best and fastest tune...all the time. Would that make sense for a daily driver?

Generally speaking, the tunes that come with it (89, 91, 93 - we call them the 'canned' tunes) will be really good for daily driving. You don't have to custom configure anything. You can play around with custom tunes if you want but unless you start doing mods like headers it's not necessary.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow - thanks for explaining!

You mentioned that (in some cases), the shift points can be changed. I do sometimes feel when accelerating rapidly that there's an aweful lot of time in between shifts. Would decreasing the time in between shifts equal faster acceleration? And if so, would that be a "canned" option?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Wow - thanks for explaining!

You mentioned that (in some cases), the shift points can be changed. I do sometimes feel when accelerating rapidly that there's an aweful lot of time in between shifts. Would decreasing the time in between shifts equal faster acceleration? And if so, would that be a "canned" option?
No, that's something you make a custom tune for. To be honest I've never played with it.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Rali- I get the best power AND the best fuel mileage (with normal highway cruising) with the "canned" 93 Oct. Tune and 93 Oct. fuel! :banana:

Set the Shift Firmness to Increased and you'll be happy with it. ;)
Actually, I'm not sure with the V6 if we can change the shift points, but I have not needed to anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Actually, I'm not sure with the V6 if we can change the shift points, but I have not needed to anyway. :)
Oh, good point. That might be HEMI-only.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet. it sounds like if I just increase my octane level, ans stay with the canned tune i should be in good shape. I was hoping that there wasnt too much personal customization involved.
Ron- when you say the best power at highway cruising, do you mean better performance at high end? say 40 or 60 +, or would it increase acceleration from a stop as well? I do tons of city driving as well...and in NYC, beating the taxi to the next lane from a red light is gold! lol.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Most of the increase is higher in the power band, but the increased throttle response off the line and low-end torque will be noticeable.

Shameless plug: I have one for sale here! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the increase is higher in the power band, but the increased throttle response off the line and low-end torque will be noticeable.

Shameless plug: I have one for sale here! :bigthumb:
I asked this before-but i just want to be clear. The increased throttle response you mentioned would be even more noticeable if I were to switch to a MM or CNC ported TB?

PLUG - lol. It's actually already purchased (a gift from my wife). She got it from autoanything.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I asked this before-but i just want to be clear. The increased throttle response you mentioned would be even more noticeable if I were to switch to a MM or CNC ported TB?
In theory, correct. I don't have any actual hard data or personal experience with the combination. Also going to depend heavily on the porting job.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well i myself just run 89 octane and use the 89 tune with my Predator. 93 Ocane might give you a little more but i don't think it's that much. As for ported tb well worth it, any mod that increases flow is usually good.
A lower ported intake and headers would also be beneficial. Currently i have the Predator, True Duals, Ported & Polished TB and JBA coated headers and it's peppy, my top end is still much better however. A few weeks ago on an open road with nobody around of course i got my car up to 180 and it felt like i still could have went further. Oh and as for the Predator it comes with 3 different tunes which all take into consideration bolt on mods like cai, exhaust, headers and so on but the more mods you add it would be better to get a custom tune

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
In theory, correct. I don't have any actual hard data or personal experience with the combination. Also going to depend heavily on the porting job.
Hey TOX, how are you....to the OP, ChargerSXT of Hampton, Va did testing of the Modern Muscle of Martinsville, Va's P/T throttle body and got great results, He runs the Ported T/B and 93 tune...firmer shifts and raised the shift points, and he is registered with that fuel website and got 3 mpg more overall, He now is getting a custom tune later....But his car is pretty quick now off the line...

Ralph

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see that it's very important to save the vehicles stock tune before installing the custom or canned one. Does it come with instructions on how to do this?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I see that it's very important to save the vehicles stock tune before installing the custom or canned one. Does it come with instructions on how to do this?
Yes. In fact, the Predator forces you to back up the original tune before installing one of theirs. If your car's under warranty, you WILL want and need to restore the factory tune before taking it in for service!

Exact instructions on the whole process are included with the Predator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts