Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed now that every few thousand KM i am down about .5L of oil, is this normal for the 3.5? Mind you, i have been driving it like a rental a lot since i bought it, trying things out, and did notice that it was about a litre low a few weeks after i picked it up from the dealer....which prompted me to do the very first oil change.

Should this be a concern? or anyone know with regular driving if the oil consumption will go down... i have no leaks that i can find so it has to be going someplace.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Get a catch can and see how much oil your are sucking in through your PCV. My 3.5L doesn't burn that much oil. Just had my oil changed for the second time since owning it and it wasn't even 1/2 qt low after 4500 miles. Not sure what the difference is between a qt and a L for comparisons.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That's not that much oil loss. Even if you were under warranty they wouldn't try to fix it because Dodge or any other manufacturer would say it is within the normal tolerance.

·
Vendor
10,369 Posts
Get a catch can and see how much oil your are sucking in through your PCV. My 3.5L doesn't burn that much oil. Just had my oil changed for the second time since owning it and it wasn't even 1/2 qt low after 4500 miles. Not sure what the difference is between a qt and a L for comparisons.
Brian,

a quart is .946 ml (1000 ml = 1 liter) So he is down basically a pint. Mopar sais it is normal to lose up to 1 qt (.946 ml) per 1000 miles (1600 km)

However, with an appropriate oil with a much higher vapor point than either dino oil or store bought synthetic, we could blend an oil for him that would stop the usage of oil because it would be stable under much higher temperatures.

QuantumBlue 12.5w35. I blended it for my 300m 3.5L HO.

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040:bigthumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think i found my oil!!! when i had the intake off i felt around in the throtle body, kind of black and oily back there....have the catch can ordered, and am waiting for Brian to open up an outlet close to me so the cost of "importing" the oil is cheaper. :)

·
Vendor
10,369 Posts
Think i found my oil!!! when i had the intake off i felt around in the throtle body, kind of black and oily back there....have the catch can ordered, and am waiting for Brian to open up an outlet close to me so the cost of "importing" the oil is cheaper. :)
Yea, the GST sucks....at least this month we have a 10% discount that would help to get it over the border.

Let me know.

Thanks
Brian
440-821-9040 :bigthumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts