Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That really sucks. I would have never bought a 3.5 without the 5 speed. What is dodge thinking? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
That really sucks. I would have never bought a 3.5 without the 5 speed. What is dodge thinking? Any thoughts?
no clue but i just picked up the 2008 brochure this week as well. noticed that the 4 speed is the v6's and the manumatics are the hemis...

they changed a few of the options as well. like the SXT doesnt get 6 speakers unless is the AWD if i read the colums right... theres a few things the SXT's NOW do NOT get as options.

theres ALOT of changes....

i had an 08 (2.7 though) a few weeks back as a service car while mine was in the shop.

theres no longer a solid metal key that sticks out the key FOB anymore either:lol:

the key is still there, but its tucked into the bottom end of the FOB piece... the plastic "plug" piece goes into the ignition part of the dash, and you can give the key to another person. so basically its two keys in one... but you still need the FOB part to start the car....

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
Looks like the SXT/AWD still has the 5-spd. :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Dodge is saving money. I think that bump everyone feels at the red light or at a stop was that transmission. it has problems

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
BTW how do you like yours? i know it has to handle great, but performance wise driving overall?
Hey ST, it handles great! I haven't really "pushed the envelope" on cornering yet... kinda keeping an eye out for upcoming autocross events. :D I know it's "only" the V6, so I'm not looking for great finish times, I just want to wring this out on a track and see what it will really do in the corners! I did take it through a hard turn-around in a parking lot once, actually got some tire-screech out of it! I did a 90 deg. corner to the right, then a 270 turn to the left, rolling on the gas the whole way... my buddy in the passenger seat had to peel his face off the window! LOL I didn't sense much body-roll from inside the car, and it straightened up and kept going perfectly! (anyone know where I can get an "oh-sh**" handle?")

We also have a good "cloverleaf" exit off the highway I take every day, coming home from work... my Baja could take it at 45 or so with a little complaining, I've already hit 50 in this car with NO noise from the tires! I haven't had the ramp all to myself yet... I'm looking for the point where the AWD meets the ESP. (Yes, there is plenty of shoulder to run off into there!) :grin: I think just because it's so much wider and a little heavier than the Subaru, it corners better.

I am SO impatiently waiting for our first good snowfall!! :devil: :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Read the fine print guys! The `08's may have a 4 speed BUT they also have 3.64 rear gears! The stock gears on the `07 3.5/ 5 speed was 2.87.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That bumb you get when you go to stop in the trans engaging first gear all chrysler transmissions do this. One way they can get rid of this is to tell the trans to hold 2nd gear till the car completely stops then engage 1st gear. THe new key was taken from mercedes design and technology. Hopefully in the 2009 or 2010 they will get the keys resized to be smaller. The key reminds me of when Mercedes had smart keys on their 1999 models they were very big.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Amen! The 5-speed is a Mercedes tranny, and after the divorce from Benz, the krauts wanted to charge Chrysler an arm and a leg for the trannies. To save a nickel, Mopar put the 4-speed in behind the 3.5L. The 4-speed is not strong enough for the Hemi, so they have to keep buying the German ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Amen! The 5-speed is a Mercedes tranny, and after the divorce from Benz, the krauts wanted to charge Chrysler an arm and a leg for the trannies. To save a nickel, Mopar put the 4-speed in behind the 3.5L. The 4-speed is not strong enough for the Hemi, so they have to keep buying the German ones.

Even when the 5 speed was with the 3.5 it was limited you could select the gear your want when you want it. Good example you select three but the car starts out in 1, then 2, then 3 and HOLD. VS the hemi where you say 2nd it starts in second you say 3rd its in 3rd. I think chrysler should add a small switch on these trans to emulate a Comfort / Sport mode. For those of you with 5 speed trans you can engage 2nd reverse gear by starting your vehicle and right away selected R on your gear selecter. If you do it right you would be able to go in R with out using brake due to lack of power (2nd Reverse gear) So everything is there we just need a lil switch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
...For those of you with 5 speed trans you can engage 2nd reverse gear by starting your vehicle and right away selected R on your gear selecter. If you do it right you would be able to go in R with out using brake due to lack of power (2nd Reverse gear) So everything is there we just need a lil switch.
I dont quite understand.... Are you saying we've got 2 reverse gears?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Even when the 5 speed was with the 3.5 it was limited you could select the gear your want when you want it. Good example you select three but the car starts out in 1, then 2, then 3 and HOLD. VS the hemi where you say 2nd it starts in second you say 3rd its in 3rd. I think chrysler should add a small switch on these trans to emulate a Comfort / Sport mode. For those of you with 5 speed trans you can engage 2nd reverse gear by starting your vehicle and right away selected R on your gear selecter. If you do it right you would be able to go in R with out using brake due to lack of power (2nd Reverse gear) So everything is there we just need a lil switch.
The R/T will drop to 1 or 2 when you have it in 3 at a stop.
You are right the R/T will start in 2 if you have it at 2 but that's the only difference compared to the V6.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk25 View Post
...For those of you with 5 speed trans you can engage 2nd reverse gear by starting your vehicle and right away selected R on your gear selecter. If you do it right you would be able to go in R with out using brake due to lack of power (2nd Reverse gear) So everything is there we just need a lil switch.

Page 209 of the manual shows the switch to shift without pressing the brake.

Page 220 states that starting out in 2nd gear is helpful in snow/ice but I notice that section is right after the 5.7L auto stick information. I have not tried it yet but does that mean our v6's w/ the 5 speed will NOT start out in 2nd from a complete stop?

-GB

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk25 View Post

Page 209 of the manual shows the switch to shift without pressing the brake.

Page 220 states that starting out in 2nd gear is helpful in snow/ice but I notice that section is right after the 5.7L auto stick information. I have not tried it yet but does that mean our v6's w/ the 5 speed will NOT start out in 2nd from a complete stop?

-GB
I have put mine in 2nd and gone wot until th 45 is mark where it shifted, so id surell will not start in anyother gear than 1st. I have an 06 3.5L

·
Registered
78 Posts
LIke others have said, it's that money thing. I'm a dedicated Mopar guy, and I hate having those Benz-designed gearboxes in my vehicle - BUT, I'm far more disgusted with the 4-speed. I never liked the way that trans felt in my Intrepid - even after the "overhaul" the famous "bump stop" reared its ugly head.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The 4 speed trans in my Trep had to be rebuilt while under factory warranty. They also flashed the system to get rid of that bump but it was still rough especially when you got on it then let off the accelerator. It would bang back down.

I hope the 5 speed does not do the same thing. So far so good.

-GB

Just went up town to auto store. I was able to start from a complete stop in 2nd gear. This is good for the winter, I think.

-GB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts