Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of srt8 headers and midpipes. To makes things easier and not upset the emissions nazis around here I have decided to buy an aftermarket srt8 cat back since it will mate right up to the mids with no mods needed (they do a visual). Will this be too much flow for a near stock (predator, 180 thermo, CAI) 5.7? I also plan on doing a stage 2 cam (either spartan max or sparrow) and heads soon down the line, so will this be a benefit to a head/cammed 5.7?

·
Registered
2020 Sinamon Stick Charger Scatpack
233 Posts
I am doing the same thing. I will install mine at the same time I do heads & cam to make it easier. The SRT manifolds are similar in performance to the JBA shorties and the midpipes are 2 3/4". It is a nice improvement over the stock 2 1/4" stuff but not too big IMO. The catback is up to you which brand but a 3" catback should not hurt you. They will definitely make more power out of a heads & cam car.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Looking at quite a few exhaust system websites indicates that 2.5" is about the max for a stock 5.7L. The issue is exhaust gas velocity in the pipes and keeping the temps up in the pipes. When a larger pipe is used without the corresponding flow, the velocity goes down causing torque curve shifts. If you are going to install the SRT system when you do the heads & cam work then it will probably work out good since the heads should flow better along with a higher lift cam. You just need to make sure the intake side and fuel injectors are up to the task as well.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
a 3" catback WILL hurt your car with your listed mods..........you will loose low end torque

A friend of mine has the SRT headers / mids on his Daytona and had a 3" magnaflow SRT catback.......he lost power.........put the stock SRT catback on and gained it back

I have the SRT headers / mids ready to be installed and ill be using a stock SRT catback as well

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
With the3" you'll lose to much backpressure and lose alot of bottomend power. Don't do it. If you build the motor, increase comp.ratio, bigger cam,worked heads then you might benifit from the 3".

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. looks like i'll just get a stock srt8 cat back and then add the mufflers and tips of my choice. Hey Sublimeon22's where did you score those 4" tips from? How long are they?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have 3 1/2" inch pipes and my car has been running fine.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
when i was shopping for exhaust, all of the exhaust shops said the same thing - anything over 2.5" will rob you of power. but you definatley want at least 3" tips - for a deeper sound. they compared the tip size to treble and bass - the larger diameter tip is like adding bass to the sound of your exhaust.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i was shopping for exhaust, all of the exhaust shops said the same thing - anything over 2.5" will rob you of power. but you definatley want at least 3" tips - for a deeper sound. they compared the tip size to treble and bass - the larger diameter tip is like adding bass to the sound of your exhaust.
I have a Borla 125 exhaust on my car now. After getting the full srt8 exhaust installed i'm tempted to hack the tips from my Borla cat back and have them welded on, but the thought of ruining an 800 plus exhaust doesnt sit right LOL. I love the 5 inch tips but I think 4 inch tips will look better though, sublimeon22s tips look really nice...

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
I have a Borla 125 exhaust on my car now. After getting the full srt8 exhaust installed i'm tempted to hack the tips from my Borla cat back and have them welded on, but the thought of ruining an 800 plus exhaust doesnt sit right LOL. I love the 5 inch tips but I think 4 inch tips will look better though, sublimeon22s tips look really nice...
yea i think they look pretty good too. i would like to see a close up pic - or a link to one.

here are my three inch - i wouldn't mind going to a 4 inch, but i would be worried that 5 inch might be a bit goofy looking.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Thanks guys..........Mine are 18" long x 4", 2.5" inlet (Magnaflow part # 35117).........I had them powdercoated black with a polished edge to match my rims

Heres a side profile shot so you can see how they look running underneath

Heres a closer shot

Heres a back shot when they were all stainless

1 - 12 of 12 Posts