Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased an 06 Charger R/T 5.7 Hemi mostly stock basic Cold Air intake, performance plugs/wires, all new freshly replaced Moog suspension all the way around, muffler delete and straight piped currently. Was on a bottle running a 75 shot of boost when i first inquired purchasing but bottle has sense been removed. I'm here for a bit of help, I won't lie I use to be a little ricer nerd then moved to a family suv the past 3 years or so, and now i figured it was time to give myself a bit of a boost in performance and snagged this car on a deal. So i'm fairly new with this hence coming for some help. My brother runs an 89 Stang with a 351 Windsor and recently put a set of drag radials on the rear...the performance and lock/launch he got from them caused me to bite the bullet and order the exact same tires he's running for the rear of my Charger. However now the night before i go to the shop and have them installed i'm stuck wondering and worrying they won't fit. Currently i'm running stock 18's with 225/60/18's on the rear. What i purchased for the rear are Nitto NT555R Extreme Drag Radial Tire 285/40R18's. I know and have seen 275/40/18's fit the rear of my car "like a glove" as many have put it, but can't find much truth as to whether the 285/40/18's will fit or not. I'm HOPING they will especially since i had a rear tire bubble on me this evening so it's either they fit tomorrow or i'm out more $ to buy another temp set of tires till i exchange the 285's. I have heard in a couple videos of other 06's running 275/40's that the shop that installed them said they fit perfect and they could stretch to a 285 if they wanted, but beyond that I haven't managed to find much input on whether or not these will fit the rear of my car or not. Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me tonight so i an rest easy till they're on the car tomorrow. included pic of car with current rims that these are going on (stock 18's as far as i know anyways). Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post. Just trying to post as much info in hopes of getting a solid answer!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I think your factory wheel size is 18x8.5. If that's the actual wheel size you have now I wouldn't attempt to install 285.

Edit; first post I see. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delayed response guys, and thanks for all the answers and responses. As well as the welcomes. To answer my question with absolute facts and anyone else that may have this same question. Let me just say YES YES HELL YES Nitto NT555R Extreme Drag Radial Tire 285/40R18's WILL in fact fit a stock rim like a glove. They actually went on the rim very smooth, only issue the guys at the shop had was getting the second one to bead up. First one was on rim, beaded, and aired in 2 minutes flat. Second one fought a little bit to get beaded. Ended up taking about 10 minutes to get it to bead and 3 people lol. As for fitting on the car clearance wise, absolute amazing fit. PLENTY of room all the way around with them on there. As for performance on the car.... I could stomp the throttle at a stop or slow roll in first and roast the all seasons i had on rear previously... These however, not gonna happen. I NEVER expected nothing more then a simple set of tires on the rear to cause a car to grip pavement and launch fast and hard but let me tell you something...If you are pondering the thought in sinking this kind of money into something like this but don't wanna spend that much...DO IT and drive the car 1 time and you will thank yourself! I have noticed alot of people on various forums have asked the same questions as me and only ever found 1 person to say they could fit this big of tire on stock rims but no pics of them on the car and everyone wanted pics...So i'll include a few angles of the tires on the car, as well as going on the rims for anyone that ever has this question or doubts fitting 285/45/18's on a stock 06 Charger R/T rim. Thanks again and don't mind the cars messiness in pics, decided to hit a couple back roads the night before installation lol.
105427238_2691070624462663_7338762356054398028_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I guess congratulations are in store, 10 minutes and 3 guys to bead a tire. Never thought it was possible. Those rims squeeze the tires like Lizzo in a corset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also as recommended by the guy you see installing them in the pictures (as he's a huge drag radial person hence going to him for this install), rear's are running about 28 psi and fronts are running about 30. Rides smooth as can be in town as well as highway. Anything on smooth pavement from 0-110 is a smooth ride. Made about a 80 mile round trip today all highway 70mph speed limit whole way, had cruise set on 80-85 and it was smooth as could be. HOWEVER, on the return trip home it had just had a nice downpour and road was soaked and random puddles all over highway...I will say anything over 65 with highly wet pavement these get a little slippery and tend to wanna move you around a bit. If you stomp it from a dead stop in first on soaked pavement i figured it would spin, nope slides care completely sideways and forwards, same in second from a rolling 20. Absolutely LOVEEEEEE these tires and very glad i sunk the grand into them now that I've drove it for almost 2 days with them on there. If i encounter any issues after a little more miles get put on them I'll update this post. Providing next weekend is dry on Sunday i'm gonna put this puppy on the track and see what it will do. Friend knows track owner and got me a private hour worth of time to play on track, film, ect. since they're closed (weather permitting) So i'll update my opinion on how they run on a quarter mile track once that happens. Thanks again for all the reply's, and hopefully this takes care of anyone elses curiosities if these would fit as well as requests for pictures on the car. (If those that wanted to see them on stock rims on the car have a specific angle i didn't post a picture of, just request and i'll gladly take one for you.) Also if you're interested in seeing how difficult it was to get them on the rim from start to finish, Guys at the shop was nice enough to let me record the entire installation of the second rear tire (didn't even think to on first one which went much smoother). Later tonight or tomorrow I'll be uploading that to youtube and posting as well as various social media, so if you'd like to see the installation hassles just let me know and once uploaded i'll throw you a link to video. Thanks again guys!

(This DOES however in my opinion NEED dropped now! Just debating on it due to my driveway being quite apt to drag if i go much lower, was considering air but have heard negative things on that. Any opinions on that is fully welcomes as well!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess congratulations are in store, 10 minutes and 3 guys to bead a tire. Never thought it was possible. Those rims squeeze the tires like Lizzo in a corset.
Thank you thank you! When i had the rear tires laying in the middle of the shop doorway about 5 different customers asked the guy working there what they were going on and he pointed at my car and they're like wtf that's stooooooopid! Needless to say, the shop boys had quite the audience watching them get those on the rims. First one went on and beaded smooth as could be though, just the second fought the bead. but they look and perform amazing!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think your factory wheel size is 18x8.5. If that's the actual wheel size you have now I wouldn't attempt to install 285.

Edit; first post I see. Welcome to the forums.
Worse....factory wheel size is 18x7.5

That looks terrible, and now not only are you not getting a full 285mm of contact patch from that much sidewall bulge, but they'll most likely wear prematurely because of it. I also imagine with the bead seating issue that if you take a corner too hard or slide a bit sideways it might debead itself for you lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worse....factory wheel size is 18x7.5

That looks terrible, and now not only are you not getting a full 285mm of contact patch from that much sidewall bulge, but they'll most likely wear prematurely because of it. I also imagine with the bead seating issue that if you take a corner too hard or slide a bit sideways it might debead itself for you lol.

View attachment 294107
You say that looks "terrible" My curiosity in response to that comment is what exactly about it looks terrible to YOU? Because I think it looks good, besides the fact it now needs lowered with those tires to "look" better. The past 2 days I've had them on the car, and 4-5 different counties I've driven in with them, I've got nothing but compliments from any car enthusiast that heard my exhaust and spotted the car. So i'm just curious as to why you think they look terrible? As for the sidewall bulge issue you speak of, there's not as much of a bulge as the pictures make it look now that i go back and look at a few pics of them. Pics I've quickly snapped thus far do them 0 justice compared to in front of you imo. As for the bead seating issue, the first tire that was put on went on and beaded right up smooth as could be in seconds with no issues at all. Was just the 1 that had bead seating issues, which watching the video of the one that had the issue seating, that was nothing more then technician mistake, as in the video you can see him realize why it's not beading and instantly fix it and bead it up with no help. (had to watch that after your post as well which is what got me to catch that). As for taking a corner hard, or sliding sideways and debeading....it's been sideways several times today as well as an accidental but quite amusing 2 circle drift around a round about completely sideways due to throttle play and wet pavement, haven't had a bit of issues so far, so i'm not too sure about that. You could be right, then again, could run just fine as it has so far.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
1. I'm a mechanic; this actually hurts my eyes to look at. There's a reason that there are minimum wheel widths to go with the various widths of tires.
2. Besides the inherent morbidly obese fat girl in a corset look, it looks clownish. Had you put wide enough 18's to go with them if would look good (like an old school musclecar deep dish look). Instead you took a tire wider than a regular SRT has and put it on the narrowest R/T rim you could find.
3. Don't mistake throttle induced oversteer with an actual sideways skid. Sidewall loading is very different between a spinning sidewall and one that rotation wise is stationary.
4. Based on this entire thread I would theorize that if you were able, you'd put splitter guards on your car.

I'm not gonna go back and forth with you anymore on this, I'm not trying to change your mind. It looks like ass and is likely mechanically unsafe; you enjoy your car lol.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I am surprised a tire place would even attempt to install that wide a tire on that skinny a rim...dangerous as hell... glad you don't live anywhere near me, I'd hate to have to pick up the pieces after you wreck that thing
Succinctly put.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last year my tires started to show dry wrinkles on the sidewall, and I decided that this is the time to replace them.
Very wanted to replace the 245 to 275, but my rims are 8.5" width (very strange, how special Mopar wheels have standard width), so as per all researches and asking mechanics in several places - i heard clear "this is will NOT fit"
They would install, but not recommended at all. Bought new 245.

For me, the OP's wheels look good, but I totally surprised, how mechanics made it fit and allowed the installation.....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You'd be surprised at how many places will install tires that aren't "proper".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like you might have ended up with 245 worth of tread hitting the pavement, might. That's a lot of tread that is now wrapped around the edge.

·
Registered
291 Posts
After other people replied, I've compared the avatar with old tires and new setup....Honestly, I like "before" more.
Reason - visually, the new wheels look somehow smaller, opening big gap under wheel arch. Maybe just personal view, but this is how I see it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Last year my tires started to show dry wrinkles on the sidewall, and I decided that this is the time to replace them.
Very wanted to replace the 245 to 275, but my rims are 8.5" width (very strange, how special Mopar wheels have standard width), so as per all researches and asking mechanics in several places - i heard clear "this is will NOT fit"
They would install, but not recommended at all. Bought new 245.

For me, the OP's wheels look good, but I totally surprised, how mechanics made it fit and allowed the installation.....
Should've gone with a 255/45, put them on all four under my Magnum...not much wider, but every little bit helps:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Should've gone with a 255/45, put them on all four under my Magnum...not much wider, but every little bit helps:
I very considered this option, and agree, they look very good and solid, but:
I think, you also have the 20" rim, so, the 255/45/R20 are half inch taller, than 245/45/20.
Now, when I saw how my front wheel sits, it was relatively close to that control arm(?) lug, and I was afraid, that with taller tires, the lug will start to touch the wheel in some circumstances. That's why went back to same 245/45/R20, even without "Z" rating - they look better and served long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts