Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading a few posts on 300Cforums.com and I saw a few people say that after putting 24s on their car, their Check Engine Light came on. They had them on a 300C, and a Charger. Why would putting 24s on the car cause the CEL to come on?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I was reading a few posts on 300Cforums.com and I saw a few people say that after putting 24s on their car, their Check Engine Light came on. They had them on a 300C, and a Charger. Why would putting 24s on the car cause the CEL to come on?
I've had my 24" for ever and never got a light.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Cause your computer is seeing the wheel sensors moving at a greater velocity than the car should be moving for the speed it's doing and it is questioning whats going on, so it faults out. The PCM need to be plugged into a Star Scan and told what the wheel size is and the problem should go away.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the straight up answers guys. Instead of just blasting somebody for even thinking about putting 24s on their car.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
ive had 24"s for 6 months now and no check engine light

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
some 24's weight a lot more then other 24's so it might in fact be a weight/tranny issue and that is why some people with lighter 24's don't get that CEL and others with heavier 24's do.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
If it was a weight issue then we'd be getting CELs going up steep hills.

I'm thinking that whoever went with the big wheels probably went with staggered tire sizes that did not maintain an even front/rear ratio of 1:1 in terms of wheel speed. That means that for a steady road speed, the front and rear wheels are not going to be rotating at the same speed, and this will freak the car out into thinking it's in a ridiculous slipping situation... usually the fronts are smaller (unless you're weird) so that would result in a situation of the front wheels spinning faster than the rear ones... for a RWD car, that's kind of a crazy impossible situation. Hence the CEL.

Speed-wise, there's no issue as long as the overall tire height is identical. You could have huge huge huge tires on your car such that you'd actually be traveling at 100 mph while your speedo was showing 25 mph and the PCM wouldn't give a hoot.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
while you make 1000% sense, there really arent 24" staggered option for us; being that the 9" width is ideal, people use 9.5" and even 10". As far as tires, the 255/30 is alsmot 1" taller than the 275/25/24. and to use the 255/30 in the front a lot of trimming is required, very few people choose the255/30, especially cause the 9.5 and 10" widths.

this might not make much sense Im running on Mt Dew AMP'd trying to get this project done. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
this might not make much sense Im running on Mt Dew AMP'd trying to get this project done. :D
As a proud employee of Coca-Cola Ent. Im very disappointed to hear that. We just released RockStar: Punched (Fruit Punch and RockStar), Ill be expecting you to switch over, Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know exactly what youre talking about, Just thinking of putting 4's on mine caused my CEL to come on!! So I just lowered it and put 22's on.
You're car looks GREAT!! I've been thinking about getting the 22 STR8 rims for my car. Keep it looking clean. What springs did you choose when lowering your car?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ill try the fruit punch and report back.
LoL, you dont have to, I dont even drink that sh*t (although I hear its actually pretty good).

You're car looks GREAT!! I've been thinking about getting the 22 STR8 rims for my car. Keep it looking clean. What springs did you choose when lowering your car?
I used the Eibach ProKit, I considered using the Sportkit, but another member cut me a pretty good deal on the ProKit, so I went with it.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
LoL, you dont have to, I dont even drink that sh*t (although I hear its actually pretty good).

I went to the store and didnt see it. I would still like to try the fruit punch though, most enery drinks taste like ****, so when I find a decent one I stick with it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I went to the store and didnt see it. I would still like to try the fruit punch though, most enery drinks taste like ****, so when I find a decent one I stick with it.
Well we just started putting it in stores down here this week. So there's no telling when in will get to ILL. The only energy drinks I like are Full Throttle Blue Demon & Fury, and Mountain Dew Amp'd (dont tell anyone!)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts