Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I've been going back and forth between putting 20" or 22" SRT wheels on my new r/t. I keep hearing that with 22's, I'll get much worse gas mileage than with 20's. How true is this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I average 14.5-15.5mpg with 24's. I have gotten a best of 16.5 completly babying the car. This is ALL city, btw.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea the bigger the rim, the worse gas mileage, and acceleration you'll have. and your brakes will wear out faster

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
when i had my 22's on i was geting 250 a take!! city and highway!!!but now that i picked up some 18" R/T wheels for 200 bucks i got 310 miles a for a full tank but that is my first tank on the 18's so hopefully i do better on my second tank????i hope i do more than 310 per tank.....:D but im always getting lead food so i dont know:D

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Couple things. First of all, putting a bigger wheel on there does hurt, but only a little bit. It depends how you drive for the most part. But I think its been made pretty clear on these forums that a larger/heavier wheel hurts acceleration, so the car has to work a bit harder to keep up with your driving habits. But really, I want to stress how minimal this is. Also, you have to remember that when you up the wheel size to 22s, chances are (depending on tire size) that you are running a wheel that overall stands taller than your stock one. Unless you make the car's computer aware of this, you are actually going a bit farther than your car thinks you are. Here's an example of this on a more drastic scale: I used to have a jeep wrangler with huge off road tires on it and when i was on the highway, my speedo would say I was only doing about 68 when I was really doing about 80 or so. This also translates to the odometer. Again, the size difference is minimal and nowhere near the extent to what it was like on my jeep, but the difference can be made a bit more clear when driving through a whole tank of gas. Correct me if im wrong, but I believe this plays a role.

-Pat

·
Registered
581 Posts
I Just Did A Vegas Trip And Averaged About 15mpg With My 22's

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you want to save on gas, DO NOT get 22's.

thats no crap...

i get terrible gas mileage.. if i get on it.... it drinks gas like beer......
I do think the predator help a little bit on gas thou..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go with the 22s, you bought a Hemi, right? Obviously you weren't really concerned about gas milleage then. besides 22s look really nice on Chargers, I'm stuck on a black set I saw on a sublime the other day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Go with the 22s, you bought a Hemi, right? Obviously you weren't really concerned about gas milleage then. besides 22s look really nice on Chargers, I'm stuck on a black set I saw on a sublime the other day.
Exactly!! You already bought a Hemi and it sucks up gas with the 18"s on there. It's not like not getting the 22s will make the car a Hybrid. In Houston the gas is 2.79/gallon. I probably spend close to $50 per week. But I drive my car to and from work and it's about a 45 min ride to and from. And that's with 22s.

·
Registered
268 Posts
2.79 a gallon!

In the San Francisco Bay area its now about 3.50 a gallon!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Couple things. First of all, putting a bigger wheel on there does hurt, but only a little bit. It depends how you drive for the most part. But I think its been made pretty clear on these forums that a larger/heavier wheel hurts acceleration, so the car has to work a bit harder to keep up with your driving habits. But really, I want to stress how minimal this is. Also, you have to remember that when you up the wheel size to 22s, chances are (depending on tire size) that you are running a wheel that overall stands taller than your stock one. Unless you make the car's computer aware of this, you are actually going a bit farther than your car thinks you are. Here's an example of this on a more drastic scale: I used to have a jeep wrangler with huge off road tires on it and when i was on the highway, my speedo would say I was only doing about 68 when I was really doing about 80 or so. This also translates to the odometer. Again, the size difference is minimal and nowhere near the extent to what it was like on my jeep, but the difference can be made a bit more clear when driving through a whole tank of gas. Correct me if im wrong, but I believe this plays a role.

-Pat
I agree with this. If your travling farther than the computer and odometer thinks you are, the calculation will be wrong and it will "appear" you are getting worse gas mileage over a tank of gas than you really are. This is due to how it is calculated. Miles driven/gallons of gas = mileage. The EVIC does the same based on how many miles the computer thought you drove. BUT, you actually traveled farther than the car and you know. So who knows, it may even get better mileage if you could figure out how many miles you actually drove on that tank of gas.......hmmmmm i wonder.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i've had 18's 20's 22's, its all been the same to me maybe 1mpg more with the 20 and 22. all in the city driving.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
i've had 18's 20's 22's, its all been the same to me maybe 1mpg more with the 20 and 22. all in the city driving.
when i first got my SE 3.5 it had the hub cap rims......then about 2 days later thats when i got my 22's so i dont know what the mpg for the stocks would have been???but with my 22's it sucked big time.......at the most 250-255 a tank serious.......:dead: :smoke: but since i put some 18s from an R/T i just rolled over 310 mles on a tank....so i was stoked on the 310 roll over.....:grin:hopefully it gets better???:smoke:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts