Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home from work on the highway it was raining/snowing out going around 60 mph in line with traffic when i heard my car start beeping, electric stability control disabled. I tried to accelerate but the car wouldn’t go, my rpms dropped to 0 and my speed was slowly dropping with tons of other cars in front of and behind me. My steering wheel wasn’t fully locked but it was harder to steer. When I got to the side of the road i put my car in park and turned it off. (on my phone it said electronic throttle control needed to be serviced) I called a tow to take it to the dealer thinking it would be under warranty. The tow had me try to start it to get in neutral and I got knocking. Had to drag it too :( It’s been at the dealer for 2 weeks before they diagnosed a valve spring broke on the right cylinder head. They are concerned about the head being damaged as well so they want to replace that, the parts won’t be in until next week. I’m very concerned for my car, I bought it brand new july of this year and havnt experienced any problems until then. I have taken care of my car properly, I have changed the oil, kept 93 in it and I don’t allow the tank to go below a half. I’m hoping the engine doesn’t have permanent damage like that, im very unsure of what to do. How much more concerned should I be? or is this normal for a 2022 with 8,000 miles

· Registered
8,285 Posts
I feel for you. On my 2017 Scatpack, the water pump seized up tight at just over 20k miles and about 3 years old. That's when I knew it was time to unload the damn thing after I'd dealt with the peeling door panels a few months prior to that. Let's just say that quality isn't Dodge's strong suit.

Good luck!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel for you. On my 2017 Scatpack, the water pump seized up tight at just over 20k miles and about 3 years old. That's when I knew it was time to unload the damn thing after I'd dealt with the peeling door panels a few months prior to that. Let's just say that quality isn't Dodge's strong suit.

Good luck!
Damn thats not good to hear, this is my first dodge not a good start. Sorry to hear about urs, I didn’t have any other problems leading up to this I loved the car

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no problems at all leading up to the issue, I drove it 25 minutes to work in the morning and made it about 15 home before it broke down in the afternoon, what could have caused this? or is this factory? I’m scared after reading about lemons and all is that something to look into? I’ve been in contact with dodge and the dealership and dodge will reimburse the tow and hopefully the problem as well, as far as the longevity how concerned should I be

· Registered
2017 Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
3,671 Posts
I had no problems at all leading up to the issue, I drove it 25 minutes to work in the morning and made it about 15 home before it broke down in the afternoon, what could have caused this? or is this factory? I’m scared after reading about lemons and all is that something to look into? I’ve been in contact with dodge and the dealership and dodge will reimburse the tow and hopefully the problem as well, as far as the longevity how concerned should I be
It sounds like it very well could be just one of those rare things that happen. It's not a common occurrence.

I'm not trying to dismiss the issue because I know it's worrying the devil out of you, same as it would me if my car did it.

You're under warranty and the chances of it happening again are slim to none.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Get your oil change documentation ready.

Funny the tow truck driver didn't know about the emergency park release, did he really drag the car on the wrecker?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2022 White Knuckle Scatpack Charger
206 Posts
I was on my way home from work on the highway it was raining/snowing out going around 60 mph in line with traffic when i heard my car start beeping, electric stability control disabled. I tried to accelerate but the car wouldn’t go, my rpms dropped to 0 and my speed was slowly dropping with tons of other cars in front of and behind me. My steering wheel wasn’t fully locked but it was harder to steer. When I got to the side of the road i put my car in park and turned it off. (on my phone it said electronic throttle control needed to be serviced) I called a tow to take it to the dealer thinking it would be under warranty. The tow had me try to start it to get in neutral and I got knocking. Had to drag it too :( It’s been at the dealer for 2 weeks before they diagnosed a valve spring broke on the right cylinder head. They are concerned about the head being damaged as well so they want to replace that, the parts won’t be in until next week. I’m very concerned for my car, I bought it brand new july of this year and havnt experienced any problems until then. I have taken care of my car properly, I have changed the oil, kept 93 in it and I don’t allow the tank to go below a half. I’m hoping the engine doesn’t have permanent damage like that, im very unsure of what to do. How much more concerned should I be? or is this normal for a 2022 with 8,000 miles
Have a 22 scat aswell and at 16059 miles driven pretty hard mines is going strong no issues at all it really is a freak occurence once in a while with some peoples cars

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Funny the tow truck driver didn't know about the emergency park release, did he really drag the car on the wrecker?

Tbh I didn’t know there was a way until I got home later that day, YES i had to turn away for him to do it smh

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I waited until around 5,000 miles for my first oil, a little late but still got done, was planning on getting it done the following Monday at 8,000 miles but this happened on Friday. Could that be the problem?

· Registered
233 Posts
A broken valve spring is not due to oil, it is due to a defective valve spring. But not a bad idea to have proof of changes, even if not a "perfect" record.

If you have been racing the car and redlining the tach as often as you could, that could certainly contribute to a broken valve spring... But I doubt you would have gone 8,000 miles without totaling the car if this was the case.

I think I would try and relax, and give the dealer a chance to fix the car under warranty. Crap happens, it has happened to me in the past, and it seems to have happened to you.

· Registered
2022 White Knuckle Scatpack Charger
206 Posts
I waited until around 5,000 miles for my first oil, a little late but still got done, was planning on getting it done the following Monday at 8,000 miles but this happened on Friday. Could that be the problem?
I got my first oil change at 5,986 miles lol I don't think you did anything wrong its prob the factory's fault or faulty parts or a freak occurrence I assume you have warranty?

· Registered
4,296 Posts
If it is a major engine problem they will look at your oil change history and the change minimum every 6 months is the one that can get you, basically you need an oil change with documentation every 6 months from when the car was first purchased new.

And that is ridiculous on the tow driver. That was the free tow from Dodge?

· Registered
5,726 Posts
I hope that's not normal for 2022s, lol.

I'd imagine it'll be fixed under warranty and you'll be good to go. Just a freak thing to have happen.

Reactions: askiii392

· Registered
7,577 Posts
Guess I can add my 2019 scat ditched at 42,000 miles for persistent issues with suspension, UConnect. Yada yada yada. And it was not abused or raced.

However . . . . .just suggestion if you drive it hard. Reset the evic of any max speed, best 0-60 times etc before the dealership gets curious.

· Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Being a '22 with 8000 miles, there isn't much oil change history to worry about. As mentioned, as long as your oil change was within the 6 month/6000 mile time frame, there should not be any issue there.
You have a really nice Charger, with plenty of warranty left. Remember the powertrain warranty is 5/60.
Maybe you'll get lucky, and they'll want that engine back to perform an "autopsy" on it, and drop a brand new 0 mile 6.4 in there.

Don

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it is a major engine problem they will look at your oil change history and the change minimum every 6 months is the one that can get you, basically you need an oil change with documentation every 6 months from when the car was first purchased new.

And that is ridiculous on the tow driver. That was the free tow from Dodge?

The car fax shows 4500 and the incident happened within 6 months of ownership. I have warranty and all, I tried to use roadside assistance for a tow and was told it would be hours before someone would be able to get me, a safety patrol truck pulled over and called me a tow that I had to pay out of pocket to take me to the dealership. Dodge said they will reimburse me for that and it’s all under warranty.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guess I can add my 2019 scat ditched at 42,000 miles for persistent issues with suspension, UConnect. Yada yada yada. And it was not abused or raced.

However . . . . .just suggestion if you drive it hard. Reset the evic of any max speed, best 0-60 times etc before the dealership gets curious.
How worried should I be about that I didn’t get to reset before. I don’t race it but ik my top speed shows as well as the 0-60 and all.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
How worried should I be about that I didn’t get to reset before. I don’t race it but ik my top speed shows as well as the 0-60 and all.
I wouldn't worry about it.

· Registered
2,568 Posts
I had this happen to me in the Buick in busy highway traffic. Luckily was able to coast over a couple of lanes to the breakdown lane and stopped. Very little power pressing the accelerator pedal.

Called the wife and Waited a few minutes. Car restarted with button and seemed normal. Drove in the breakdown lane fpr a bit and then continued onto my destination with no repeat fail.

Took it to the dealer and they replaced a “defective” Throttle Body under warranty.

Sounds like yours ended up with a valve hitting the piston after restarting. I would definitely have them scope the the chamber for piston/wall/valve damage and debris, if they haven’t already pulled the intake and the affected head.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts