Charger Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2021 Charger RT
11 Posts
I love the car but the way it behaves is not acceptable. I'm not sure I can deal with this problem indefinitely. I was extremely excited to get this car especially because it was new but it has been a big disappointment between the drivability and poor paint quality on the vehicle. I just can't justify the payments for something that is not operating as it should.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I am with you 100%. I wanted to own one of these for so many years, and finally pulling the trigger on a new one was one of the most exciting things I've ever done....only to be endlessly disappointed. What baffles me is the reviews! Both professional and consumer are always just glowing with how great the drivability is. I have now owned 2 of them, and seeing that yours and many others behave this way, I'm shocked so many people are happy with them. Maybe one day I'll test my luck with a scat pack, but I'll be on to another brand here soon. Good luck with yours.

· Registered
2021 Charger RT
11 Posts
I am with you 100%. I wanted to own one of these for so many years, and finally pulling the trigger on a new one was one of the most exciting things I've ever done....only to be endlessly disappointed. What baffles me is the reviews! Both professional and consumer are always just glowing with how great the drivability is. I have now owned 2 of them, and seeing that yours and many others behave this way, I'm shocked so many people are happy with them. Maybe one day I'll test my luck with a scat pack, but I'll be on to another brand here soon. Good luck with yours.
Any updates on the car? I was considering trading it in but with rates going up like crazy I think I'll be forced to keep it. If I do I'm buying the extended warranty.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Exact same scenario for me. I went to go trade in a few weeks ago and the best rate I qualified for was double what I have on the car now. It's a tough call since I really do not enjoy driving this car, but I would hate to go get less car for more money per month because of interest. I was also hoping I would see a drop in certified pre-owned values on other cars, which is happening, figuring the charger will still hold a bit better residual than others and I could step into a nice sleep-priced CPO vehicle. I am holding out for a little while longer it seems.

· Registered
2021 Charger RT
11 Posts
I'm going to give it until November when I put the snow tires on it. Once that happens I'm not going to look until spring. I really love the car its so damn frustrating the way it acts. And yes, I financed this at 2.59% for 84 months though my credit union. Now that same term for a used vehicle would be 5.5%. I just can't justify that. The only way I would swap now is if I found something used for much cheaper that made sense.

· Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2021 Charger Daytona Edition. The acceleration you are having I am also struggling to figure out. I live on the east side of florida near daytona and none of the dealers can explain what is going on. The car accelerates better at half throttle vs full throttle, and when full throttle is pressed its almost like the feeling you get when your clutch slips.

· Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2018 Daytona 5.7 with the EXACT issues described by OP. The did it when I bought it (used)....I've since added intake, Fastman TB, midmufflers replaced with dynomax mini race bullets, Unlocked PCM with email tunes (for TCM as well) and it STILL DOES IT. I even turned off MDS in the tune....still does it. Just adding my experience in support.

· Registered
2021 Charger RT
11 Posts
Well guys after 5 months of dealing with this I said enough and traded the car in. It's too bad because it was good in so many other ways. Anyway I hope you guys get this figured out and the dealer can fix the issues you are having. It was fun while it lasted!

· Registered
5,682 Posts
HELLOOO….. “echo”” can anyone shed some light on my problem with my 2019 charger??? I really like the car..
Unfortunately while it does seem a few people have had the issue, with forums in general kind of dwindling there really isn't too much info on the issue being discussed here. I've been involved in the Charger/Dodge community for a while and I've never heard of anyone with this problem. I have seen it mentioned on the Durango forums, but have yet to see a solution.

Reactions: RACHemi

· Registered
2022 Dodge Challenger R/T, Manual 6 speed
2 Posts
New Guy here, but not new to forums or performance. I have a 2022 Dodge Challenger R/T (5.7 with no MDS) with a manual 6 speed trans, and I have a similar issue. I bought the car used with 2700 miles on it - and it now has 5K on it. I've been using premium fuel the entire time I have owned it.

I have noticed that the car leaves hard from a stop light, then acts like it's pulling timing as it gets higher in the revs, above 3K or so. The engine probably looses 20-30 HP - and it doesn't matter what gear I'm in as I go through them - it still pulls like the engine is laboring. The interesting thing that I have noticed is that it never does this when the car is not warmed up all the way, ie, BEFORE the computer is in closed loop. Once it gets warmed up and the computer goes into closed loop, this behavior starts - and it's only under WOT. What's even weirder is, the issue seems to not show up even when the computer is in closed loop, when the throttle is almost at WOT - maybe the accelerator pedal is 1/4 from the floor.

This is not the first post I have seen about this issue - but it seems like most folks with the issue have an automatic trans. I'm beginning to wonder if this is Dodge with an over-conservative tune?

I guess one way to find out is to trick the computer into staying in open loop and letting it get hot and doing several 0-60mph pulls from a standstill.

Is anyone here familiar on how to log data from the computer? It would be nice to get a timing graph and A/F through the RPM range to see what is actually happening in closed loop and in open loop.

· Registered
28 Posts
New Guy here, but not new to forums or performance. I have a 2022 Dodge Challenger R/T (5.7 with no MDS) with a manual 6 speed trans, and I have a similar issue. I bought the car used with 2700 miles on it - and it now has 5K on it. I've been using premium fuel the entire time I have owned it.

I have noticed that the car leaves hard from a stop light, then acts like it's pulling timing as it gets higher in the revs, above 3K or so. The engine probably looses 20-30 HP - and it doesn't matter what gear I'm in as I go through them - it still pulls like the engine is laboring. The interesting thing that I have noticed is that it never does this when the car is not warmed up all the way, ie, BEFORE the computer is in closed loop. Once it gets warmed up and the computer goes into closed loop, this behavior starts - and it's only under WOT. What's even weirder is, the issue seems to not show up even when the computer is in closed loop, when the throttle is almost at WOT - maybe the accelerator pedal is 1/4 from the floor.

This is not the first post I have seen about this issue - but it seems like most folks with the issue have an automatic trans. I'm beginning to wonder if this is Dodge with an over-conservative tune?

I guess one way to find out is to trick the computer into staying in open loop and letting it get hot and doing several 0-60mph pulls from a standstill.

Is anyone here familiar on how to log data from the computer? It would be nice to get a timing graph and A/F through the RPM range to see what is actually happening in closed loop and in open loop.

To add....I am tuned (TCM and PCM)....still happens. It happened before the tune, on the canned Diablosport tunes, and now on the email tunes I got from a guy who tunes Dodge and knows the hemi.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Very interesting that you are having the issue with the M6 car. My car is also two entirely different animals in open loop vs closed loop. Runs PERFECT in open loop. Absolutely infuriating. I still can't convince myself to trade it in with rates and prices through the roof.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
So I had a 2020 R/T that I was really dissatisfied with, terrible drivability and intermittent transmission issues after 4000 miles. I ended up finding the intake manifold was very loose (less than 30 in/lbs), and tightening helped some issues, but not all of my issues. While in for service in October, the dealership crashed the car, couldn't get parts to fix it after weeks, and since I already hated it, I traded it on a 2021 hoping for better results. The 21' also had a very loose intake manifold (also less than 30 in/lbs), which I tightened at 500 miles after some good heat cycling, and the overall drivability feels better than the 20'. I do have one common issue that drives me insane that started back up last night at 2100 miles. When accelerating with moderate throttle from a slow roll (turned out of a plaza onto the road, or making a u-turn) then increase throttle when wheel is straight), but NOT WOT, sometimes the car pulls strong, smooth, and linear through the whole range; smile inducing power. Other times, the EXACT same throttle input, sometime minutes later on the same drive, yields WAY less power, slight hesitation every few hundred RPM, then a sudden jolt of power around 4500 RPM until the next shift. Assuming the issue is the same as the last car, this occurs in NORMAL, SPORT, Auto, Manual, Traction in NORMAL, SPORT, or defeated entirely with 10 second hold. I had the last car to two different dealers a total of 7 times and had Chrysler corporate involved. Of course neither car showed any signs of trouble when new. I have read everything there is to read regarding owner reviews of the Charger R/T A8 combo and it is nothing but glowing positivity. Between this issue, and the abrupt stumble and hesitation under light throttle acceleration from a cruise coming out of MDS on BOTH cars, I cannot be alone. Is anyone out there experiencing this? I just want to know if I somehow got the only two 5.7 chargers that do this, or if it just doesn't bother anyone else. My other 3 HEMI's prior this (2, 5.7's and 1 6.4) always pulled strong and smooth no matter what, including my 203,000 mile 2007 Ram 1500 to this day.
I have a 2022 Charger RT with less than 5000 miles on it. I bought it brand new and while not exactly sure if its the same issue but I definitely noticed that sometimes the car drives like ass and its very frustrating. Mine usually happens when I am driving and come up to a complete stop more often than not I have to wait for a few seconds before getting on the gas again because of the rubber band effect. The MDS system alone is the worst feature in this vehicle, it makes driving this car a chore at times and the noises it produces makes any sane person wanna jump out of the car. It drones and sounds like a 4 banger with the worst exhaust available. Sport mode takes care of the MDS but is pretty bad itself because it seems like the car doesn't know when or what gear to shift to. I am hoping that the car just needs to be broken in more but I will say that when this car runs the way its supposed to it is a joy to drive.

· Registered
28 Posts
Worth mentioning - I finally had it on the dyno last week.....noticed a dip around 2400-2500 RPMs on the graph, which coincides with my actual feel in the vehicle of a delay in power....tuner told me the car was pulling 2-3 degrees of timing which is likely what I was feeling. Just thought I'd follow up, as this is the only thing that makes sense so far.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts