Charger Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger RT
6 Posts
I have a 2021 RT and experience similar issues (1400 miles bought new). What I notice the most is under light acceleration the car seems to surge right around 1750RPM's and is fine past that point. Does it and any gear, and even in sport mode. It's way more noticable when the AC is on. I've also noticed a few times if I give it gas while moving it hangs for a second, accelerates slow then like you it just opens up and takes off. If you find out what the problem is please let us know. I also notice a slight tick that seems to be coming from below my vehicle when its warm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have a 2021 with the same issues. Maybe i can explain it better. Imagine your at a stop light and you start accelerating forward, at first the car starts smooth, but after maybe 3-5 seconds during smooth fast acceleration the car momentarily feels like it stalls during acceleration. I have a feeling that there could be an issue with in the overdrive gear, almost like its about to grab and misses so the car switches back to its previous gear. Mine is a 2021 Charger RT daytona
I highly suggest you send an email to Mike Macdonald at Dodge. When my dealer said nothing could be done, and dodge customer service said nothing could be done, I emailed Tim Kuniskis directly and Mr. Macdonald called me the next day from Michigan. I had high hopes for a resolution as he is the customer experience manager for all of Stellantis, but so far he has just offered "support" to bring it back to the dealer. When I provided supporting evidence that others are having this issue, and it's a Dodge tuning problem, he went quiet. Make your voice heard and help us all out.
[email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a 2021 RT and experience similar issues (1400 miles bought new). What I notice the most is under light acceleration the car seems to surge right around 1750RPM's and is fine past that point. Does it and any gear, and even in sport mode. It's way more noticable when the AC is on. I've also noticed a few times if I give it gas while moving it hangs for a second, accelerates slow then like you it just opens up and takes off. If you find out what the problem is please let us know. I also notice a slight tick that seems to be coming from below my vehicle when its warm.
I highly suggest you send an email to Mike Macdonald at Dodge. When my dealer said nothing could be done, and dodge customer service said nothing could be done, I emailed Tim Kuniskis directly and Mr. Macdonald called me the next day from Michigan. I had high hopes for a resolution as he is the customer experience manager for all of Stellantis, but so far he has just offered "support" to bring it back to the dealer. When I provided supporting evidence that others are having this issue, and it's a Dodge tuning problem, he went quiet. Make your voice heard and help us all out.
[email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have a 2017 5.7 charger rt and it does the exact same thing. My car was bought used with 5000 miles on it so I thought this was normal until I read these quotes that have been posted. If anyone has the solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said all along I thought this was normal it’s like it was set up to do this from the factory to keep from blowing up your engine.
[email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Look at the following screenshots of Durango and Ram 5.7 owners also dealing with this. It's incredibly unfair that this is so widespread and we are forced to just deal with it. It completely KILLS the driving enjoyment of the car for me.
Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Parallel

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Circle

Black Font Line Screenshot Terrestrial plant

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Parallel

Font Terrestrial plant Number Document Event

Font Book Terrestrial plant Document Event

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,959 Posts
Once again, still all sounds like MDS going from 4 cylinder to 8.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
On the way home today, twice I gave it roughly half throttle from approx 55 to 60 mph to make a pass. The car downshifted to 4th, began to accelerate poorly with hesitation, rpms climbed to close to 5000, then it smooths out and begins to pull. Similar to the 1st and 2nd gear issue but not as pronounced. This happens just as often. It's so unbelievable a new vehicle could run so poorly.

·
Registered
2021 Charger RT
6 Posts
My car was fine for a few days and now its doing it again. Same as you guys have mentioned. Surging acceleration, delayed power and the feel like you're towing something from behind and then it lets go and pulls fine. I also notice on the highway while after cruising if I floor it I hear a loud bang, downshift and irradic accleration. And again at other times from a stop it accelerates just fine. I do know that this is worse with the AC running. Do you all see this to?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My car was fine for a few days and now its doing it again. Same as you guys have mentioned. Surging acceleration, delayed power and the feel like you're towing something from behind and then it lets go and pulls fine. I also notice on the highway while after cruising if I floor it I hear a loud bang, downshift and irradic accleration. And again at other times from a stop it accelerates just fine. I do know that this is worse with the AC running. Do you all see this to?
Mine is also intermittent, the warmer the day and the warmer the car, the worse it gets. I also get the highway downshift issue you describe. Mine seems marginally worse with AC, but it's still intermittent.
How about if you try to accelerate quickly from a stop? Not WOT or even enough to break traction, just quickly. Mine bogs heavily, audibly gurgles as it rolls forward, then 1 to 1.5 seconds later it accelerates. I can't even brake boost out of that issue, SPORT doesnt help. The interesting thing is, if I cold start the car, let it idle down and come up to temp, the very FIRST acceleration from a stop has zero bog. Every one after that does until the next cold start. I know the car is good mechanically, especially since my 20' and now my 21' act the same way, it's a faulty tune/program. That is why I encourage you guys to contact Dodge directly to let them know its unacceptable. The dealers literally cant offer any help, they cannot alter the tune. I can make mine run great for a few days if I pull the battery cable, so it's an adaptive/fuel trim learning issue. I actually believe the TCC lockup strategy has alot to do with it, fighting to stay locked for efficiency. Alot of the odd drivability characteristics this car has feel like a beginner in a manual car that isn't good with the clutch. It also chugs/jerks when trying to slowly accelerate from a cruise speed, like trying to accelerate in too high of a gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee does the exact same thing. I'm looking at forums today trying to find answers. I was concerned that it might be a byproduct of installing a K&N CAI. Sounds like it's inherent to the tune. I was thinking the Mfr is trying to squeeze as much MPG or lower emissions by restricting power until it figures out you really DO want to go fast. For those mentioning MDS, it's easy to hear all 8 cylinders working, just soft acceleration until it flips

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I'm not singling the few of you out, but if this "problem" was so widespread, you'd know about it. i.e. the cam and lifter issue. To me it sounds like transmissions shifting different than what you're accustomed to coupled with MDS. Not only that, each of you are describing different issues at different times under different circumstances.

There's about 3 different threads on this over various forums relating to RAM, Dodge, Charger, and Challenger. So out of probably 500,000 5.7 liter Chargers/Challengers/RAMs sold in the past few years, 3 people having a similar issue doesn't seem like it's an actual issue.

·
Registered
2021 Charger RT
6 Posts
I'm not singling the few of you out, but if this "problem" was so widespread, you'd know about it. i.e. the cam and lifter issue. To me it sounds like transmissions shifting different than what you're accustomed to coupled with MDS. Not only that, each of you are describing different issues at different times under different circumstances.
I'd agree it was the MDS, however this happens in sport mode also when MDS is disabled. I've owned 22 cars/trucks before this and never have I had this issued before especially on a brand new vehicle. I do think that the transmission is at least partially involved with this issue. It's almost like the brakes are partially applied up to a certain RPM and then they are released. At times from a stop with light throttle the car hesitates for a second and then goes like the brakes are on and then released. Now if at a light I floor it, the car runs fine and takes off as it should.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I'd agree it was the MDS, however this happens in sport mode also when MDS is disabled. I've owned 22 cars/trucks before this and never have I had this issued before especially on a brand new vehicle. I do think that the transmission is at least partially involved with this issue. It's almost like the brakes are partially applied up to a certain RPM and then they are released. At times from a stop with light throttle the car hesitates for a second and then goes like the brakes are on and then released. Now if at a light I floor it, the car runs fine and takes off as it should.
My NAG1 for example has a few questionable areas in the power band. One is roughly around 35-40mph and usually happens if I'm mid-light throttle, say negotiating a left turn. If I floor it, it doesn't know if it wants to downshift to 2nd or stay in 3rd. You can literally have the pedal to the floor and it doesn't budge for a second until it decides what it wants to do. After 6+ years, I can tell when the circumstances are right and I'm in that no man's land spot. That's the most noticeable spot, but I've done it around 60mph too. To me, that's what I'm reading into this.

It'd be nice if anyone could post a video of it happening.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
It is absolutely NOTHING that I am mistaking anything for. It happens in both Sport and Manual in addition to normal and automatic. No MDS, no gear shifts. I am 100% aware of how the car CAN pull in any given gear/speed. The problem is how inconsistently it does so. We are describing the same thing. I have now found 9 different owners of either Ram 5.7, Durango 5.7, Charger 5.7, and Grand Cherokee 5.7, all ZF8 vehicles. Comparing this to cam/lifter is apple's to oranges. That is a mechanical failure that affects the actual use of the vehicle with an obvious mechanical fix and misfire codes. This is an intermittent programming issue that may not even bother some people if they dont drive hard, or think its just how it's supposed to be. The dealers ignore it because they cant do anything about it. My first car didnt start with the issue until after 4000 miles, this one started at 2100. Also, I can pull the battery cable off, and make it completely disappear for almost a week until it slowly creeps back in. It's also worse as a whole as it gets up to operating temp. When still "cold" if I accelerate with light throttle, normal mode, between 40 and 60 to make a slow pass, MDS disengages, and I can accelerate in top gear slowly and perfectly smooth. Once up to temp, doing the exact same thing, the car physically lugs/jerks/hesitates unless I manually downshift, or jump on the throttle.

I can have it in Sport, turn a corner, downshift manually to 2nd, give it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, and 30% of the time it accelerates normally, strong, smooth and linear. 70% of the time it accelerates as if it has half the power it normally has, hesitates, and right around 4500 rpm STILL manually in 2nd gear, the power comes alive like a rope has just been cut from the parachute I'm towing. This also happens to a lesser degree when trying to make a quick pass at highway speeds. Downshift, lethargic acceleration with hesitation for 1 to 2 seconds, then the car accelerates. Also, about half the time, accelerating quickly from a stop, after it bogs down and recovers (not from traction control, no slip, no light) 1st gear is lethargic through the 1-2 shift, then the lag continues through the rev range until the same 4500 rpm in 2nd until it actually pulls. One day it was running particularly awful, I tried a few 0 to 60 pulls back to back. No brake boost, no slip, just roll into WOT. 7.6 when accelerating poorly, 5.8 when it ran correctly. MINUTES APART. I've had it on 2 cars, there is 3 other people in this thread alone, and many on the ram and Durango forums. Read this screenshot again from a Ram 5.7 owner. THIS is what my car does. It is not subtle. Even my passengers can feel the abrupt change in acceleration force. This is not throttle delay or a quick lag, I can be in the pedal from a stop at 1/2 throttle for 7 to 8 seconds before it begins to accelerate normally. This is absolutely an 8 speed related tuning issue. I think the torque converter has alot to do with it. If I roll through a turn and accelerate mildly, when the TCC goes into lockup, the whole car surges/bucks back and forth like a just dumped the clutch in a manual car. Enough to bounce passenger heads off the headrest. I have owned, a 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7, 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 (still have, 210k miles, runs amazing) and a 2014 Ram 2500 6.4. All MDS engines, VVT on the 6.4 and all exhibit excellent, consistent, smooth, strong operation. No 8 speeds. This is quite literally the worst car I've ever operated from a shear drivability and refinement standpoint. It makes my wife's 9 speed cherokee feel like a Roll's. The problem is, it is the car I want. Its infuriating.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts