Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I had a 2020 R/T that I was really dissatisfied with, terrible drivability and intermittent transmission issues after 4000 miles. I ended up finding the intake manifold was very loose (less than 30 in/lbs), and tightening helped some issues, but not all of my issues. While in for service in October, the dealership crashed the car, couldn't get parts to fix it after weeks, and since I already hated it, I traded it on a 2021 hoping for better results. The 21' also had a very loose intake manifold (also less than 30 in/lbs), which I tightened at 500 miles after some good heat cycling, and the overall drivability feels better than the 20'. I do have one common issue that drives me insane that started back up last night at 2100 miles. When accelerating with moderate throttle from a slow roll (turned out of a plaza onto the road, or making a u-turn) then increase throttle when wheel is straight), but NOT WOT, sometimes the car pulls strong, smooth, and linear through the whole range; smile inducing power. Other times, the EXACT same throttle input, sometime minutes later on the same drive, yields WAY less power, slight hesitation every few hundred RPM, then a sudden jolt of power around 4500 RPM until the next shift. Assuming the issue is the same as the last car, this occurs in NORMAL, SPORT, Auto, Manual, Traction in NORMAL, SPORT, or defeated entirely with 10 second hold. I had the last car to two different dealers a total of 7 times and had Chrysler corporate involved. Of course neither car showed any signs of trouble when new. I have read everything there is to read regarding owner reviews of the Charger R/T A8 combo and it is nothing but glowing positivity. Between this issue, and the abrupt stumble and hesitation under light throttle acceleration from a cruise coming out of MDS on BOTH cars, I cannot be alone. Is anyone out there experiencing this? I just want to know if I somehow got the only two 5.7 chargers that do this, or if it just doesn't bother anyone else. My other 3 HEMI's prior this (2, 5.7's and 1 6.4) always pulled strong and smooth no matter what, including my 203,000 mile 2007 Ram 1500 to this day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, on the last car, I had multiple trans quick learns, adaptive resets, throttle resets, TCM/PCM reflash, cam/crank sync, MDS phaser cleaning, etc... done, did a battery cable pull, fuse pull, and tried pedal commander. No luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fought this issue for 5,000 miles on the last car. Tried various stations, always top tier, using all 89, all 93, 50-50 blend, etc... didn't change a thing. It feels as though the VVT solenoid is not advancing timimg and the intake runner is staying short during the low end and its unable to make good power until high rpm when the short runner helps. This literally feels like a light switch is flipped when the power comes on. Again, only sometimes. Leaving work last night, made a u turn, gave it half throttle, and instantly had strong, smooth power right through 55 mph when it shifted to 3rd. Same drive home, u turned to go into a shopping plaza, hit the throttle, speed slowly crept up with hesitation until 4500 then BAM, power comes alive.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have a 2019 R/T and I'm sort of confused by your issue. Do you keep an eye on what gear you are in when this is happening? With part throttle it really makes a difference if you are in 3rd or 4th gear and if you depress enough to downshift or not etc.

I don't get the issue... if you go WOT all is fine right? At 50% throttle sometimes you feel like it surges?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds like you may have a lemon. Isn’t this car under warranty? Keep bringing it back for service until they have tor refund your money (depending on your state’s laws, of course).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2019 R/T and I'm sort of confused by your issue. Do you keep an eye on what gear you are in when this is happening? With part throttle it really makes a difference if you are in 3rd or 4th gear and if you depress enough to downshift or not etc.

I don't get the issue... if you go WOT all is fine right? At 50% throttle sometimes you feel like it surges?
1st or 2nd gear, I'm coming out of a plaza or making a u turn, so a slow roll of 5 mph when I hit the throttle. Even if it shifted to 2nd during turn, it downshifts back to 1st because of low speed. The lack of power is through first and second gear when accelerating from a slow roll. If you depress the throttle about 50%, it accelerates slowly through 1st and 2nd and has the spike of power when the rpms reach 4500. Sometimes the car pulls smooth and linear from down low, other times it feels like it has half its power until 4500.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you may have a lemon. Isn’t this car under warranty? Keep bringing it back for service until they have tor refund your money (depending on your state’s laws, of course).
This is now on 2 cars. The first car developed the issue around 4000 miles, this one started at 2100. There is not any actual problem according to dodge, so there is nothing to fix. I'm just trying to determine if it is happening to others.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
1st or 2nd gear, I'm coming out of a plaza or making a u turn, so a slow roll of 5 mph when I hit the throttle. Even if it shifted to 2nd during turn, it downshifts back to 1st because of low speed. The lack of power is through first and second gear when accelerating from a slow roll. If you depress the throttle about 50%, it accelerates slowly through 1st and 2nd and has the spike of power when the rpms reach 4500. Sometimes the car pulls smooth and linear from down low, other times it feels like it has half its power until 4500.
Did you have V8 Chargers before the 2020? What did you drive before an Avalon? ;)

Just trying to figure out your frame of reference... The 5.7 and the ZF 8 speed driveability is pretty good and smooth... any harshness is normally reserved for Sport mode unless you hammer the throttle.

• Haha
Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are my 4th and 5th Chrysler HEMI vehicles. There is no harshness. There is a tremendous lack of power during moderate acceleration in low gears with hesitation, followed by seat pinning power in the upper RPM range without changing pedal position or gear, as if a switch was flipped.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
I've never heard or read about anybody else ever having this issue.

I know you have the ZF8, which is a lot smoother than the old NAG1 which I have. The NAG1 is great in itself, but depending on how hard you press or don't press the throttle, and speed, it will occasionally get confused as if it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in.

Are you positive you're not just mixing up an awkward gear shift vs an actual problem.

I'm not discrediting you at all, but I haven't heard of this ever being an issue, and now for you to have it happen twice seems extraordinary.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am 100% sure I am not confusing it with anything. The issue also occurs in manual mode while I'm in control of the shifts. The best way to describe what is occurring: imagine accelerating out of a u-turn at half throttle in 1st and 2nd while hooked to an open parachute, RPM and speed increase, but lethargicly, then at 4500 rpm, the cord breaks and you take off. THAT is what happens on both of my cars, but only sometimes. The service manager at one of my local dealers experienced it on the last car, and with the information he got from Dodge, said it's part of the tune, nothing is wrong,
and it is what it is. I just cant believe no one else has experienced this. It's so abrupt, that my wife who doesn't notice ANYTHING unusual about vehicles asked my from the passenger seat, "what was that jerk?"

In the good news department, I ran a 5.3 0 to 60 today with a touch of wheelspin. 59 degree, dry day at sea level here in South Florida!

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,976 Posts
I fought this issue for 5,000 miles on the last car. Tried various stations, always top tier, using all 89, all 93, 50-50 blend, etc... didn't change a thing. It feels as though the VVT solenoid is not advancing timimg and the intake runner is staying short during the low end and its unable to make good power until high rpm when the short runner helps. This literally feels like a light switch is flipped when the power comes on. Again, only sometimes. Leaving work last night, made a u turn, gave it half throttle, and instantly had strong, smooth power right through 55 mph when it shifted to 3rd. Same drive home, u turned to go into a shopping plaza, hit the throttle, speed slowly crept up with hesitation until 4500 then BAM, power comes alive.
Just fyi, You do not have active runners. 5.7 is a long runner intake static. No SRV.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just fyi, You do not have active runners. 5.7 is a long runner intake static. No SRV.
Ahh got it, some dealer personnel mentioned that as a possible issue, but I see only the RAM 5.7 has the active runner. It made sense because it feels like a manifold pressure issue affecting the A/F and or timing. I had a 3.0 Nissan V6 that acted very similar when the MAF sensor was on the way out but not setting off a check light. I had 3 different shops try to diag that car who said there's 0% chance the MAF was the issue without a SES light, and I finally found a forum member with the same issue, swapped it myself and cured it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
So I had a 2020 R/T that I was really dissatisfied with, terrible drivability and intermittent transmission issues after 4000 miles. I ended up finding the intake manifold was very loose (less than 30 in/lbs), and tightening helped some issues, but not all of my issues. While in for service in October, the dealership crashed the car, couldn't get parts to fix it after weeks, and since I already hated it, I traded it on a 2021 hoping for better results. The 21' also had a very loose intake manifold (also less than 30 in/lbs), which I tightened at 500 miles after some good heat cycling, and the overall drivability feels better than the 20'. I do have one common issue that drives me insane that started back up last night at 2100 miles. When accelerating with moderate throttle from a slow roll (turned out of a plaza onto the road, or making a u-turn) then increase throttle when wheel is straight), but NOT WOT, sometimes the car pulls strong, smooth, and linear through the whole range; smile inducing power. Other times, the EXACT same throttle input, sometime minutes later on the same drive, yields WAY less power, slight hesitation every few hundred RPM, then a sudden jolt of power around 4500 RPM until the next shift. Assuming the issue is the same as the last car, this occurs in NORMAL, SPORT, Auto, Manual, Traction in NORMAL, SPORT, or defeated entirely with 10 second hold. I had the last car to two different dealers a total of 7 times and had Chrysler corporate involved. Of course neither car showed any signs of trouble when new. I have read everything there is to read regarding owner reviews of the Charger R/T A8 combo and it is nothing but glowing positivity. Between this issue, and the abrupt stumble and hesitation under light throttle acceleration from a cruise coming out of MDS on BOTH cars, I cannot be alone. Is anyone out there experiencing this? I just want to know if I somehow got the only two 5.7 chargers that do this, or if it just doesn't bother anyone else. My other 3 HEMI's prior this (2, 5.7's and 1 6.4) always pulled strong and smooth no matter what, including my 203,000 mile 2007 Ram 1500 to this day.
I have a 2021 with the same issues. Maybe i can explain it better. Imagine your at a stop light and you start accelerating forward, at first the car starts smooth, but after maybe 3-5 seconds during smooth fast acceleration the car momentarily feels like it stalls during acceleration. I have a feeling that there could be an issue with in the overdrive gear, almost like its about to grab and misses so the car switches back to its previous gear. Mine is a 2021 Charger RT daytona

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 2021 with the same issues. Maybe i can explain it better. Imagine your at a stop light and you start accelerating forward, at first the car starts smooth, but after maybe 3-5 seconds during smooth fast acceleration the car momentarily feels like it stalls during acceleration. I have a feeling that there could be an issue with in the overdrive gear, almost like its about to grab and misses so the car switches back to its previous gear. Mine is a 2021 Charger RT daytona
My issue is quite the opposite, I have lethargic acceleration until higher RPM then the power comes on like a light switch and takes off. Your issue sounds like maybe the TCC is going into lockup too early for efficiency while you are still demanding torque multiplication and that causes power to feel reduced.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,976 Posts
My issue is quite the opposite, I have lethargic acceleration until higher RPM then the power comes on like a light switch and takes off. Your issue sounds like maybe the TCC is going into lockup too early for efficiency while you are still demanding torque multiplication and that causes power to feel reduced.
Or MDS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MDS would not engage during acceleration. You can stay in MDS and accelerate very slowly if already engaged, but it wouldnt turn on while actively accelerating from a stop, especially not if accelerating quickly.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,976 Posts
MDS would not engage during acceleration. You can stay in MDS and accelerate very slowly if already engaged, but it wouldnt turn on while actively accelerating from a stop, especially not if accelerating quickly.
My 2011 would under normal, light acceleration would engage MDS. Although they never mentioned how fast or gear range they were in but when MDS kicked in it def was a change of power and kinda resembled what the last guy was saying.

So just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is now on 2 cars. The first car developed the issue around 4000 miles, this one started at 2100. There is not any actual problem according to dodge, so there is nothing to fix. I'm just trying to determine if it is happening to others.
I have a 2017 5.7 charger rt and it does the exact same thing. My car was bought used with 5000 miles on it so I thought this was normal until I read these quotes that have been posted. If anyone has the solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated. Like I said all along I thought this was normal it’s like it was set up to do this from the factory to keep from blowing up your engine.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts