Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2021 Scat Pack Wide body and it has 506 miles. I bought the car new and when I picked car up it had 24 miles on the car. When you are signing all the paper work you signed one of papers that the car had 24 miles. I know buying new cars this is standard procedures wheather the car has 24 miles or 1 mile. It didn't bother me at time but I called my salesman and she said that we get gas and only go to sunoco and the tech takes car out for a test ride ect...... I think its BS. If it was any other vehicle like a Caravan then who cares, but I been reading the break in period so that scared me a bit. I guess im just alittle paranoid since I don't know who drove the vehicle before I picked it up. I got the car and did exactly what the owners manual siad to do in the break in period.

My question about the oil changes is that I'd rather take it to the Toyota dealership where I work and have them do it instead of Dodge. Is that a problem not taking the car back for my first oil change? I have the receipt for the Dodge filter and also bought Penzoil 0/40 from walmart. Just down the road in case there is a problem they won't give me any problems. I was going to do my first oil change at 1000 miles where I work.

The car runs great and everything seems okay so should I not worry about the miles that was on the car when i picked it up from the dealer?

Been reading alot on this forum and its a great forum and plenty of good information.

Thanks again for your input!

Steve

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Take it wherever you want. Just keep the receipts.

24 miles seems like more than I'd expect for a "test drive" or "gas run", but it's not worth raising your blood pressure over. I think mine had 4 or 5 miles on it when I picked it up.

Best,

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you, just pisses me off that i didn't make a big deal when picking the car up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I hear you, just pisses me off that i didn't make a big deal when picking the car up.

Thanks!
And if you had, then what? Are you going to refuse to take the car because someone drove it for 20 minutes prior to you getting it?

Annoying? Sure. But have some perspective. Your "revenge" can be as simple as not returning to that dealer in the future for any service. That's really where they make their money.

Best,

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my Scat Oct 2020. When I went to dealer it had plastic all over it. I just came off the truck, the salesman didnt even know it was in the lot. The odometer had 22 and the paper had the same. The cars are in transport mode when they come off the truck.If the cpu is so smart, then it show what was done prior to you buying the car. They do drive the cars to lots from the factory, or train yard to get them here. I wouldnt worry about it. I would worry about getting the car wrapped in the front and protecting the front end, I got chips in the first 500 miles.

I take mine to the delare for the oil changes. Even my 2005 Magnum still goes there. Like somebody mentioned up top save your recipits, if done at different dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
1,122 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. I wouldn't even change the oil until the recommended 6/6K. Why??????????? You have a warranty so who cares? If you worry this much about 24 miles, you are going to HATE going to dealerships my friend!

·
Super Moderator
11,600 Posts
24 miles doesn't seem excessive to me but it's more than the last 3 Chargers I bought had on them.

Google the distance from your dealer to the Sunoco station and see if their story holds up for your own peace of mind. But really as said above what can be done about it? Nothing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine had almost 500kms on it when I got it. It was a dealer trade and the dealer wasn't going to pay to have the car shipped, and neither was I.
I look at it like this, I only had a 300km break in period. :D

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Possible it also went to the Upfitter depending on options and if it went to Bolton, they drive the car there and it's 11 miles away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And if you had, then what? Are you going to refuse to take the car because someone drove it for 20 minutes prior to you getting it?

Annoying? Sure. But have some perspective. Your "revenge" can be as simple as not returning to that dealer in the future for any service. That's really where they make their money.

Best,
Your right, its a mute point now. I will probaly take to get any service work to a dealer close to home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my Scat Oct 2020. When I went to dealer it had plastic all over it. I just came off the truck, the salesman didnt even know it was in the lot. The odometer had 22 and the paper had the same. The cars are in transport mode when they come off the truck.If the cpu is so smart, then it show what was done prior to you buying the car. They do drive the cars to lots from the factory, or train yard to get them here. I wouldnt worry about it. I would worry about getting the car wrapped in the front and protecting the front end, I got chips in the first 500 miles.

I take mine to the delare for the oil changes. Even my 2005 Magnum still goes there. Like somebody mentioned up top save your recipits, if done at different dealer.
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I now 506 miles on car and there is a very slight chip in front the hood scoop. They make a factory body wrap for the charger???

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
153 Posts
Has anyone here been given trouble by dealers for exceeding the “once every 6 months” oil change interval requirement on the 392 HEMI?

I believe the exact wording in the manual is something like “oil changes should not exceed 6000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first”.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
193 Posts
Has anyone here been given trouble by dealers for exceeding the “once every 6 months” oil change interval requirement on the 392 HEMI?

I believe the exact wording in the manual is something like “oil changes should not exceed 6000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first”.
I called my local dealers service advisor and asked about that. I told him I only drive about 6k a year and getting oil changes right now is kind of sketchy with the plague rolling around. He told me flat out don't go over mileage and you're fine. Not saying that would hold up on a warranty claim though, it's just my personal experience.

Reactions: Original Light

·
Registered
905 Posts
My question about the oil changes is that I'd rather take it to the Toyota dealership where I work and have them do it instead of Dodge. Is that a problem not taking the car back for my first oil change? I have the receipt for the Dodge filter and also bought Penzoil 0/40 from walmart. Just down the road in case there is a problem they won't give me any problems. I was going to do my first oil change at 1000 miles where I work.
Did you get the correct Pennzoil 0W40 from Walmart? I ask because the only Pennzoil 0W40 that I can find at stores by me is the version for European cars and does not meet the spec for Scat Packs.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

I called my local dealers service advisor and asked about that. I told him I only drive about 6k a year and getting oil changes right now is kind of sketchy with the plague rolling around. He told me flat out don't go over mileage and you're fine. Not saying that would hold up on a warranty claim though, it's just my personal experience.
Unfortunately, with a serious mechanical issue, dealers won't make the call, it will be FCA and they are absolutely firm and resolute on the 6-month rule. Low mileage is irrelevant, they will be looking for records and receipts showing an oil change every 6 months and if not, that will be their way out. There was a Hellcat guy that posted about his dilemma, he either put off his winter oil change or had no receipts and had his summer oil change done at the dealer. But when the engine blew the only thing showing was that one oil change per year and they denied his claim.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had my oil changed in the fall & really didn't go anywhere. Now driving it less because it's winter. The car is due for an oil change next month & it will have less than 1,000 miles since the last one. It does seem like a waste of oil but I want to keep the warranty intact so it will get changed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have 2021 Scat Pack Wide body and it has 506 miles. I bought the car new and when I picked car up it had 24 miles on the car. When you are signing all the paper work you signed one of papers that the car had 24 miles. I know buying new cars this is standard procedures wheather the car has 24 miles or 1 mile. It didn't bother me at time but I called my salesman and she said that we get gas and only go to sunoco and the tech takes car out for a test ride ect...... I think its BS. If it was any other vehicle like a Caravan then who cares, but I been reading the break in period so that scared me a bit. I guess im just alittle paranoid since I don't know who drove the vehicle before I picked it up. I got the car and did exactly what the owners manual siad to do in the break in period.

The car runs great and everything seems okay so should I not worry about the miles that was on the car when i picked it up from the dealer?

Been reading alot on this forum and its a great forum and plenty of good information.

Thanks again for your input!

Steve
If you keep all the receipts. Says proper routine maintenance. I changed my at 500. Read it on the forum forget who was recommending it but they made a valid point.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
193 Posts
Unfortunately, with a serious mechanical issue, dealers won't make the call, it will be FCA and they are absolutely firm and resolute on the 6-month rule. Low mileage is irrelevant, they will be looking for records and receipts showing an oil change every 6 months and if not, that will be their way out. There was a Hellcat guy that posted about his dilemma, he either put off his winter oil change or had no receipts and had his summer oil change done at the dealer. But when the engine blew the only thing showing was that one oil change per year and they denied his claim.

Using that logic all one has to do is go to NAPA every six months, buy the oil and a filter to get a receipt, immediately return it or sell it on EBAY, and say they did it themselves. There's nothing in a receipt that constitutes proof of work done, just materials purchased. This is not an attempt at an argument, just pointing out how loose their requirements are for them to be that firm on something.

Did you get the correct Pennzoil 0W40 from Walmart? I ask because the only Pennzoil 0W40 that I can find at stores by me is the version for European cars and does not meet the spec for Scat Packs.
What specification do you mean? The EURO oil is API SN certified, that is the only real spec I know of that would hold up in court. As long as it's the correct weight and synthetic based, I'd assume that would be a hard fight for an OEM. That being said I do use the "SRT" oil, it goes on sale at NAPA all the time pretty cheap. I usually buy enough for two oil changes and just have a local drive through chain do it so I don't have to mess with disposing of the old oil and filter, and sitting in a waiting room with soccer moms and their disease infested toddlers waiting on their Pacifica to get the wiper blades changed. <-- JK, but really those kids are like COVID bombs always sneezing and hacking on everything😂

1 - 20 of 63 Posts