Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
203 mph? I've gone 165 -170 mph on the German A6 Autobahn where people are used to going like a bat outt of hell and that was pretty scary. I've also done many laps around the Nurburgring hitting 130-140 mph before having to brake for a curve that...was fun!. But where in the US can you go to use that much power safely?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ok, here I am being a Negative Nancy.

First things first, car is awesome and I would absolutely love one. However, this body style is beyond played out. 7 model years now?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Don’t care, love it. I’d be happy if this platform stuck around forever. Just remember the next gen will be a bastardized euro trash box. Say bye bye to V8s at that point.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
118 Posts
It's starting to tread into Ford Crown Vic territory - it'll be going on a decade with those headlights, taillights and body molding unchanged.

With that being said, unless I were a millionaire, I would never spend the MSRP that car is going for until they did a true refresh. I don't know what's preventing them from changing a few more details. The 2015 refresh was seemingly done effortlessly, after the 2011-2014 model's very short 3-year-run. I'm not sure what's different now, or why they're milking this body style, especially with sales being very strong over the past 2 years.

Regardless, I admire the car's insane torque and horsepower. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride for those who can afford it.

Reactions: FlyersHockey

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If they did a refresh on the same chassis like they did in 2015 Id be happy. Or better yet what they did in 2011. But 7 model years of the jumbo-Dart when you compare to what else is out there, it makes it even worse.

Obviously if you're buying a Redeye in the first place you're most likely a wealthy individual. If you're buying a 392, why waste your money? If you finance the average 60-72 months, you'll still be paying on a car on an 11 year old body style.

Compared to a new GT500 or ZL1, or anything German, the 2015+ is ancient, and I would agree it's entering Crown Vic territory. Just my personal opinion. It's why I've decided to hang on to my 2013. It makes no financial sense to me to trade in for another 392 that's already on it's 7th year. I'm waiting to see what's next.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I suspect a full refresh will be the end of the availability of a large V8.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You think? I've read, and would also seem to agree that we will see probably the 5.7 run come to an end. It's been around since 2003 I believe? It's time. I mean it's a very nice motor, but in terms of performance it is subpar and turbo 4s and V6s outperform it with ease.

My guess is the 392 will stick around, we will get a turbo 4 or 6, and the Hellcat will remain.

I love Chargers, have owned two, but there is no incentive to me to buy a new one. I have my big burly V8. The 392 has been around since 2012. They can't keep going forever with the same old stuff. I like my Bee for it's simplicity, but take the Charger up against pretty much anything else even remotely comparable and it's lacking minus the motor.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I guess I'm from a different camp. Dodge has refined the car over the years, sure its on a similar chassis, but drive a first gen then second then third. You can feel the difference.
Why replace everything when it is not broke? Just because its new, does not mean it's better.
I prefer the refine it over time, get it right, and if it is not broke, don't replace it for the sake of replacing it.
Tech under the skin is lightyears ahead of when the car first came out.
All new is not necessarly all better.
Look at the drivelines we have today, and brakes, and pretty much everything, they were no where to be seen when the car was first released. Dodge refined, and updated it, kept it fresh and hit the nail on the head.

I always laugh when the commercials brag "All new for 20XX" Really, so you were selling us crap last year? Thats the message they are trying to send. I'll take refined over all new any day untill the "all new" gets the bugs out.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Charger Scat Pack
118 Posts
If you're talking about the large displacement, naturally aspirated V8's - you're probably right.

For the 2023+ model year (assuming we get a refresh in 2023), I suspect the following:

A small turbo-4 as a base offering (generating around 200-300 HP, replacing the 3.6 Pentestar), the rumored inline-6 as a mid-level offering (around 300-400 HP, effectively replacing the 5.7 V8), and a small (probably less than 4.4 liters) twin-turbo V8 (making around 500-600 HP, replacing the 392 HEMI) as the top tier SRT offering. The current Hellcat/Demon engine would see no spiritual successor or direct continuation.

I don't think they'll get rid of the V8 this decade entirely, but optimistically speaking, I suspect it to get cut down to one or two small V8's based on a new architecture.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Dodge guys, think like dodge!

Their Charger body style change happened in 2020 with the addition of those curtsy looking fender flares that greet you walking up to the car.

Here we are in a pandemic that caused all car sales to tank, combined with a merger that had dividend payout agreements made in December before the pandemic impacted car sales. FCA is bleeding so I dont think a redesign is on their forefront. I've been wrong plenty of times, so maybe they will make a mockery of me. But in any case even if a new design hit the market today I would defer beta testing to anyone wanting to shell out what Dodge is asking and be the Guinea pig for the first model year.

Reactions: Dysan911

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Regarding refreshes, be careful what you wish for. In my opinion, the 2011-2015 front end was dumb looking. Nothing like the aggressive overbite it replaced, and nothing like the sleek dagger that we currently have. This is subjective, but that's my point... every time there's a big change, that could spell the end of when you like a product.

One more year of a design that's good while being mechanically bad-ass is one more good year.

I wouldn't've been able to afford this when I got my HC, but man... I'm drooling.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I guess I'm from a different camp. Dodge has refined the car over the years, sure its on a similar chassis, but drive a first gen then second then third. You can feel the difference.
Why replace everything when it is not broke? Just because its new, does not mean it's better.
I prefer the refine it over time, get it right, and if it is not broke, don't replace it for the sake of replacing it.
Tech under the skin is lightyears ahead of when the car first came out.
All new is not necessarly all better.
Look at the drivelines we have today, and brakes, and pretty much everything, they were no where to be seen when the car was first released. Dodge refined, and updated it, kept it fresh and hit the nail on the head.

I always laugh when the commercials brag "All new for 20XX" Really, so you were selling us crap last year? Thats the message they are trying to send. I'll take refined over all new any day untill the "all new" gets the bugs out.
You have a very solid response, and I agree with a lot of it. Unfortunately people aren't going to be willing to spend $60k on a Scat Pack that is essentially a 7 year old body style. Why spend that when you can get a used one low miles for low $30s? If you're someone who likes to have what's new on the block, it certainly isn't anything from Dodge.

I agree with the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but us true Mopar enthusiasts are in the minority.

Take the 392 for example, when it first came out it outperformed pretty much anything. The Camaro SS, Mustang GT, and could hang with current M3s and C63's. 8 years later and where are we? The 392 will get it's doors blown off by anyone of those minus the SS.

A 5.7s performance is rivaled by the F150 EcoBoost 3.5 and lower tier Mustangs and Camaros.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts