Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently purchased a 2020 Scat Pack?

Most of the dealers I’ve talked to (both in and out of CA) have seemed firm on MSRP, stating that limited inventory has driven up demand. While I don’t doubt inventory is limited, and see that most of the cars are still “in transit,” I have a tough time believing the demand for brand new muscle cars is very high with everything that’s going on.

I wanted to see if other folks are experiencing the same thing? I’d love to take advantage of the power days rebate since it’s 10%+ off sticker price right off the bat, but if that means I need to pay full sticker I’m a bit less inclined to try and buy right now.

Before the power days rebate, were folks paying anything close to sticker on these? I’ve heard a few dealers extending their employee discount (4% below invoice) on new vehicle orders, but by the time these come in, the rebate may be expired.

I’m in no rush to buy, other than the fact that I don’t want to miss out on saving $5k. However, if getting this type of discount on scat packs isn’t common (whether through power days or not), I might need to act sooner rather than later.

Also, does have any sense of whether the power days rebate will be extended beyond the end of this month? My gut tells me it’s likely since most dealers don’t have much stock to sell right now since everything is in transit or hasn’t been built yet, but if anyone has more info, I’d appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Chargers (including scatpacks) have been selling below MSRP for ages. Hell, I ordered mine and still got (trying to remember) about 15% off MSRP without any real effort to haggle. What you're probably seeing is just a temporary constriction of supply while the factories were closed due to COVID.

Best,

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Has anyone recently purchased a 2020 Scat Pack?

Most of the dealers I’ve talked to (both in and out of CA) have seemed firm on MSRP, stating that limited inventory has driven up demand. While I don’t doubt inventory is limited, and see that most of the cars are still “in transit,” I have a tough time believing the demand for brand new muscle cars is very high with everything that’s going on.
I can see that happening. Most dealers have almost no inventory right now so why give it away? They'll try to get top dollar for it as would anyone.

Probably better to order right now. Don't think they call it Power Dollars any more but it's still the same money. Whether it's locked in or not on a sold order like Power Dollars was I don't know but they'll probably extend this program anyway.

If you can't find a good place to order from, try Dave Smith Dodge in Idaho. They will make you a good deal and even pay your airfare to go get it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback so far.

I did some additional research and it looks like folks have been getting upwards of $8-10k off msrp pre-COVID, and I assume that was before the Dodge Power Dollars promo as well.

However, based on my research is looks like the invoice price on a base scat pack is about $38.5k, with another $1,500 or so in dealer holdback. So, at $8-10k off msrp (very low $30k), it seems like they’d be losing money here. Obviously, they don’t, so does Dodge always run some kind of promo that lets dealers still make money at those prices? In other words, it looks like there must always be some rebate or another that allows dealers to take off $4-5k off invoice and still make money? Or, are these always pure volume plays where they’ll take a loss on an individual car to make manufacturer quotas to make their bonuses?

I did speak to someone at Dave Smith Dodge and they said the best they could do on new orders was 2% below invoice, which would only bring a base scat pack to about $37.7k. If the Power Dollars promo still applied when it arrived, then it’d be what I’d consider a decent price. Maybe I’ll call them back and see if they can’t do better, but I believe even employee pricing is only 4% below invoice, right? For those that have placed orders, do you agree on the 2-4% below invoice pricing up front, and just hope for the best with the manufacturer promos at the time of delivery?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If you can't find a dealer that isn't still giving discounts then I would look elsewhere. Especially if the dealership is marking up cars. There is no justification for that on a Dodge.

I know I am in a different geographic area but searching out the max 150 mile radius from where I live there are 10 new 2020 Dodge CP for sale. One dealership in N Fort Worth has 5 of them.

And every dealer with a Scat Pack is still offering the $4850 discount plus other $3500 in assorted eligible discounts not including dealership specific discounts.

·
Registered
Dodge Charger
1 Posts
Dodge officially launches its 2020 Charger SRT Hellcat Widebody on Thursday, calling it the “most powerful and fastest mass-produced sedan in the world.” Dodge says its latest muscle car can hit 60 in just 3.6 seconds and top out at 196 mph.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Those are sweet performance stats by any measure. Especially for a 4 door family sedan.

But I personally have a hard time in the absence of an unlimited speed limit between New York and California justifying the price for the 4 or 5 miles per hour in top speed the HC has over the mass-produced Corvette C8, that hits 60 in less time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I've found a local dealer who is willing to order a new car for 4% below invoice. I'm still waiting on responses from dealers out of state to see if they can do better - if so, it might be worth the cost of having the car shipped in order to get some additional savings.

The catch is that they aren't able to "lock in" the $4,850 rebate since I won't be taking delivery of the car before the end of the month. So, I'd be at the mercy of whatever rebates Dodge has going on at the time of delivery - likely early-mid August. Anyone know what Dodge has historically done around that time of year? I'm thinking it could be as good or possibly better than the Power Dollars since the 2021 models are going to be arriving in the Fall, and dealers will be looking to liquidate their 2020 inventory.

Also, does anyone where I can find invoice pricing on options? I'm seeing pricing on Costco's website, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
They should be able to lock in the rebate, many have posted that was the case for them.

On the prices, get them to print out your POC and have them write the price on it and sign it.

·
Registered
2020 Charger SXT Plus AWD - Frostbite/Black
22 Posts
Is saving another $400 or whatever really that important when you're spending $45K on a car? And am I the only one who believes that everybody's gotta make a living? The salesman, the dealership owner, etc., aren't they allowed to make some money when they sell a car? Does squeezing the last nickel out of the deal really matter to you? I am self-employed so maybe I sympathize more with the business owner. Would you like your employer to negotiate your salary downward to see how low you'd be willing to go?
I was very happy to get my 2020 Charger at invoice (which was the salesman's offer), minus the Power Dollars, and let the dealership and its employees make a buck too. Call me crazy, I guess.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I recently started to walk out of the finance office over a $249 optional fee for theft deterrence the dealer insisted I pay. You know those acid etch numbers on the glass and stickers on the doors, hood and trunk. And the tracking device dealers install for lot theft recovery. They reluctantly removed the fee and the tracking device but left the windows etched and stickers on the panels.

So yes, I would chase after $400.

And yes they are entitled to a living. There are 24 hours in a day and if that doesn't hack it they can work nights. A good dealer that gives the best discounts and rebates earns business and will most likely get return customers and revenue in their service department.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I'm one of those people who walks in and says I'm paying X. If you want to sell me a car for X, I'll talk to you. If not, that's fine, and I leave. I don't want a song and dance, don't want to talk to your finance people, acid etch, paint sealant, extended warranty people. I agree to buy a vehicle for X dollars and that's the extent of our business dealings. I'm kinda tired of the smarmy bullshit sales tactics at traditional dealers and found it refreshing that I could login to a web site, pick a car, choose my payment method, and then get a delivery date on the car in single digit minutes when I bought the Tesla. When I picked it up, nobody tried to sell me anything else and I was out of there in 20-30 minutes tops. Why people agree to allow some sales critter to waste their time and potentially spend hours to buy an appliance with wheels astounds me. This is the new reality. Younger buyers aren't going to entertain the old sales model. The sooner other manufacturers see the light, the better.

Best,

·
Registered
75 Posts
1 or 2% below invoice is Employee friends and family, and 4-5% below invoice is Employee pricing. They still make money.

Many dealers that have any inventory at all including used have been holding firm. Some of the "online" interactions I have had have been downright strange. I think a lot of people did run out and buy other hi volume cars thinking they were getting a deal and had free $2k stimulus money.

Economy is still shaky. Oldest just got hit with a 20% paycut. People still losing their jobs and more bankruptcies to come with the extended lockdowns and another COVID spike coming in July.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
When the rebates are good, I'm happy with Invoice plus half the Holdback on an ordered car. That gives me a good deal and dealer still makes his money.

On this Scat Pack the MSRP is $49,470 and the Invoice is $46,668. The Holdback is $1,454 so half that is $727, so I'm telling the dealer I will will pay him $45,941 and then subtract the FCA rebate of $4,850 and that leaves a final price of $41,091.

That gives you a good deal on the car you want and the dealer makes over $700 for doing not much except taking your money and placing the order.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
So, I've found a local dealer who is willing to order a new car for 4% below invoice. I'm still waiting on responses from dealers out of state to see if they can do better - if so, it might be worth the cost of having the car shipped in order to get some additional savings.

The catch is that they aren't able to "lock in" the $4,850 rebate since I won't be taking delivery of the car before the end of the month. So, I'd be at the mercy of whatever rebates Dodge has going on at the time of delivery - likely early-mid August. Anyone know what Dodge has historically done around that time of year? I'm thinking it could be as good or possibly better than the Power Dollars since the 2021 models are going to be arriving in the Fall, and dealers will be looking to liquidate their 2020 inventory.

Also, does anyone where I can find invoice pricing on options? I'm seeing pricing on Costco's website, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I curious too...as to what discounts are next from Corporate...You are right...closer it gets to encroach on the 2021 models...better the leftover pricing...Question is...With the pandemic, when is the new model year calendar ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I curious too...as to what discounts are next from Corporate...You are right...closer it gets to encroach on the 2021 models...better the leftover pricing...Question is...With the pandemic, when is the new model year calendar ?
There's not much left over for Scat Packs now and not sure what capacity they are running at. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a quarter of what it used to be.

Someone on the line is positive and you have disruption

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
2021 a long way off, order banks open Oct 6 and production begins Nov 9. Won't see a 2021 in person probably til Christmas.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Having two friends in the car business, you're going to pay dearly for a 2020. Remember, they just started building cars a month or so ago. Thought of a new 2019; unless you must have the wide body?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts