Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've had my 2019 since February 1st and man what an upgrade from my trusty 2006 R/T. So glad I finally found one without a sunroof and was excited to get the 2019 model since they all have Super Track Pak and I love the seats (I had R&T package on my R/T).

One of my first safety mods was picking up a set of the old 2011 Challenger Rallye Wheels. Some sellers still have new old stock they arrived in Mopar boxes packaged with Chrysler center caps! Michelin XIce Xi3 is the tire (I had them on for 6 seasons in my 2006 very durable and sure footed in cold/wet/snow/ice). I didn't start out looking for these but was hoping for some newer take offs but these were a great price for brand new.

I haven't seen many pics of 18s on newer Chargers so here is what it looks like. I was going to order Mopar center caps but the Chrysler doesn't look too off!

I love using OEM wheels for the winter set and I'm surprised how much I like the Mopar Rallye wheels. I used two sets of black wheels on my 2006 so nice change of pace:

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Those look very nice ! I have a set of 18" for winter use too (Michelin 235x55x18), but I did not put them on this year, as winter never amounted to much here-- only had an inch of snow twice, and both times it melted the same day. We only had two cold days too, so I left my 245x45x20's Goodyear Eagle RSA-2's on it. The winter of 2018-19 was a different story - it was very cold for a long time and the RSA-2 tires were very "slippery" when it got too cold,

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look very nice ! I have a set of 18" for winter use too (Michelin 235x55x18), but I did not put them on this year, as winter never amounted to much here-- only had an inch of snow twice, and both times it melted the same day. We only had two cold days too, so I left my 245x45x20's Goodyear Eagle RSA-2's on it. The winter of 2018-19 was a different story - it was very cold for a long time and the RSA-2 tires were very "slippery" when it got too cold,
Nice looking cars! With no grass you look like you're in a desert surprised you have snow tires unless it's mountains.

I like to use 225/60/18 since that's closer to the stock diameter plus you have to get the old Latitude Xi2 in that size since they don't sell the Xi3 in that one. My 2006 was an R/T R&T so came stock with 235/55/18.

We had a bit of snow a couple weeks ago and the RSA-2s were sliding all over the place. It's just great to have the winter tires on for a daily driver and you can take on winter no problem.

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, X-Ice are kings!
They're great I bought a set in January 2014 and used them only for winter and sold my 2006 with those tires on the car. They would have lasted 6 winters, hard to find any winter tire with an actual treadwear warranty and these have 40k miles. Sure they weren't a good as the first 4-5 years but still very good with enough tread.

It was a no brainer when considering a new set for the new car.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
" Nice looking cars! With no grass you look like you're in a desert surprised you have snow tires unless it's mountains"

Albuquerque NM: our elevation is higher than Denver. Sandia Peak on the east side of town is just short of 11,000 ft high

·
Registered
182 Posts
You've been reading my mind! I have a set of these 2010 Challenger Rallye rims sitting in my garage gathering dust. I sold my Challenger but kept the rims. NOW, I'm wondering if these rims will fit my AWD Charger Pursuit. Anybody know? I know they will physically bolt up, but it's the offset that could be the problem.

Greg

·
Registered
707 Posts
I can't even find specs for that car, but an older look shows the Challenger were 15MM, and the AWD shows 45MM unless I messed up. That's 1.2", so you may need a 1 1/4" spacer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What did your 18" wheels come off of? I assume they are from an AWD car?

Greg

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've been reading my mind! I have a set of these 2010 Challenger Rallye rims sitting in my garage gathering dust. I sold my Challenger but kept the rims. NOW, I'm wondering if these rims will fit my AWD Charger Pursuit. Anybody know? I know they will physically bolt up, but it's the offset that could be the problem.

Greg
You'd have to go with the AWD police steelies I think they look great they are the ones with a ton of holes in them, that's the only 18 inch for AWD unless you go back to the 2006-2007 Charger Magnum which had an 18x7.5 with 55 offset AWD wheel.

I bet you can find some of the take off 19x7.5 wheels if you look those have 55 offset too for AWD.

My advice is go to hupcap haven and look at Charger wheels to get the specs and model numbers. Maybe you can find a set on ebay or Craigslist. Some of those mopar wheels are still available new in box from 8-10 years ago at good prices.

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
What did your 18" wheels come off of? I assume they are from an AWD car?

Greg
They came off a 2017 Challenger SXT RWD (18 x 7.5 x 24mm offset with 235x55x18 Michelins). A buddy at Pep Boys called and said he had a kid down there buying ugly 22"s and would sell the factory takeoffs for $50 each..they had about 100 miles on them IIRC (I've had them for a few years now).

·
Registered
422 Posts
OK, it's starting to get to that time of the year to be thinking about a winter tire solution for the Charger. I started out by going to the Tire Rack website to see what they had. I found a slightly different package from the last time I looked. They aren't offering the 18 inch steel wheels anymore, but now have an alloy wheel they call the "Sport Edition KV5". The tires are the Blizzak DM-V2 in a 235/55R18. After adding the TPMS the entire package, (including free shipping) came to just over sixteen hundred bucks. $1606.20. A tad more than last year as I recall. I think it was closer to fifteen hundred, but that was with the steel wheels. (Option 1)

Next I went over to the Discount Tire website. They don't have a "pre-built" package like TR, but I was able to put together a similar package there. The wheels were a bit cheaper, but they made up for it with the sensors. Their "deal" came to $1711.76, but it looks like I would have to have them shipped to a DT store about ~20 miles away and have them mounted there. (Probably for a fee?) I don't know if I would be able to just go pick them up and bring them home and mount them myself. If so I could save that mounting fee and the difference between those two vendors is over a hundred bucks. $105.56 (Option 2) (The wheel is a VOXXLAGO18 X8 5-115.00/120.00 20 SLGLXX Item #21940)

Then I remembered that Discount Tire is a forum sponsor here and occasionally has special deals available to forum members. Right? Or was I dreaming that?

Full disclosure, I am already a customer of Tire Rack. I bought a winter tire package for my other car years ago, as well as a set of summer tires for that same car. I have no complaints of their products or service. The local tire store that I use for my wife's car will give me a pretty good deal on the tires, but they don't do rims. I'd have to source them somewhere else. So here's what I'm thinking. I could purchase the rims only from DT ($721.22) and have them shipped to me or to my local tire store. (Square Tire) Then purchase the sensors from TR ($152.00) and have them shipped here to me. Bring everything over to my local tire store and have them mount their tires on the DT rims and use the TR sensors. The best part of this plan is having a local place to bring my car for free flat fixing and free tire rotation. (Option 3) And I would not have to mount them

I am leaning heavily toward option 3. I haven't got a price for the Blizzak tire from my local store this year, but they were able to come pretty close last year. And even if I have to pay a tad more per tire, the other benefits, I think, outweigh that. Unless I'm missing something not too obvious. Maybe like a used wheel? I would really rather have new wheels. One never knows about used, especially an alloy wheel. I would have to spend $732.98 on the tires in order to match the price of the TR package, and I would have to mount them when they arrived. I'm pretty sure I can get a better price than that at ST Wheels $721.22 + sensors $152.00 = 873.22. 1606.20 - 873.22 = $732.98

Maybe if I wait until October there will be a sale or something? What would you do? I'm trying to not be "penny wise and pound foolish".

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've gotten used tires from E-Bay MANY times w/o an issue. I got some brand new, Michelin summer tires for a STEAL on FB Marketplace. Secondly, I look on E-Bay or Amazon for take-out/return TPMS. AS far as wheels, I usually end up getting new, and have found some great deals on Discount Tire; like I just did for my summer tires/wheels.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I checked and the ebay seller still sells the 18s I put on my car for $399 a set shipped. I don't know if you like that style but hard to pass up OEM wheels at that price. The "Sport Edition" 18x8s have been around a long time and they look fine but they're not manufactured to the specs of OEM wheels.

They come with Chrysler center caps in the original Mopar boxes but you can get Mopar caps to replace if you like (or Dodge).

Michelin has a new XIce Snow tire, they retired the XIce Xi3 I bought in February. If they say it is better than the Xi3 that's the one I'd buy. They last really long and have a good speed rating so I prefer them over Blizzaks. I'm never in really deep snow but the longevity and ice performance is important to me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for that. I appreciate it. But I don't ebay or facebook. I think I'd rather pay a bit more than get involved in all that.

I've got a new set of Michelin all season tires on the wife's Mazda6 and she seems to do pretty well with them. I'll look into the XIce tires.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too bad I didn't buy my car in April, I could have gotten the new XIce Snow that replaced the Xi3! Well I got a good deal on the remaining Xi3 so no big deal I guess. I know they lasted me 5 seasons and with COVID I'll probably get 6 out of these (plus the partial February/March 2020).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts