Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve been doing so much research and can’t find a forum on this. I found someone with a 2016 challenger with this same issue but won’t respond on what the result was.
I have a 2019 dodge charger5.7 with 38k miles on it, I got the windshield tinted and everything was fine. About 10 minutes later, i went to turn on the AC and it wouldn’t let me. When I click “TURN ON” it just doesn’t do anything for the climate control whether it’s AC or HEAT. The AC and Heated seats also will not turn on. The dome lights stopped working. The trunk lid won’t open unless I climb to the back to manually do it. The remote start stopped working. The parking assistance stopped working. The cigarette lighter stopped working. The car drives perfectly fine, it’s just all of a sudden these random things stopped working.

· Registered
2017 Scat Pack. Procharged 426. 850ish on pump 93
3,663 Posts
The tinter got water behind the dash and cooked your electronics. Not the first time it happened

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reading all those, they all get warning lights on dash and horn acting crazy. Mine is doing either of those

The tinter got water behind the dash and cooked your electronics. Not the first time it happened

· Registered
62 Posts
Reading all those articles, they get warning lights on dash and horn acting crazy. Mine is doing none of those
Water in the electrics won’t always cause the same symptoms in different vehicles even under similar circumstances. There is no way of knowing or predicting what circuits the water will infiltrate and short out because it will take the path of least resistance.

Incidentally this is why “flood cars” are to be avoided at all costs because there is know way of knowing how badly water has compromised various systems.

· Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
2,273 Posts
You would think tinters would be way more careful as this could turn into a lot of trouble for the shop. If every 100 cars 1 goes back like this, people would 1 stop going to that tinter, 2 people would spread the word for others not to go their so business would suffer and 3 having insurance claims, they would get into financial trouble quickly.

· Registered
7,566 Posts
There are a lot of tint shops that wont touch a front window bellow the AS1 Visor Strip line because they do know the risk associated with damaging cabin electronics as they squeegee the film as well as the law regarding restrictions such as clear film only if even that is allowed.

There are good tint shops can install front film and they will rope the lower cavity along the base of the windshield to act as an absorber. You'll pay more for the front and likely be asked to sign a waiver.

In my opinion the risk of damage isn't worth the benefit of front window tint so I park with the front end pointed away from the sun whenever possible and hope the dashboard doesn't absorb too much heat.

· Registered
2022 White Knuckle Scatpack Charger
206 Posts
Hundreds of people have gotten their windows tinted myself included with no issue all my electronics worked jsut fine after something deeper is at play here like most here are saying you should ask them upfront

· Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
1,121 Posts
Hundreds of people have gotten their windows tinted myself included with no issue all my electronics worked jsut fine after something deeper is at play here like most here are saying you should ask them upfront
Your tinted could’ve done it correctly too though and blocked off that area with microfibers ropes etc to block water and keep it from getting back there to destroy anything his might not have

· Registered
5,718 Posts
I don't think there is a deeper issue at play.

If the windshield tinting wasn't done correctly, all that water goes down behind the dash where there is nothing but electronics that are never meant to get wet. It's very plausible. It's one of the most common issues that go wrong when windshield tinting isn't done correctly.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As an update, my issues have all gone away. Now it’s flickering. It’s gotta be a ground connection somewhere. It comes on then comes off randomly now. I just don’t know where the grounds are to check

· Registered
3,663 Posts
Also car is showing at 16.9V through the dash. Anything over 16 is causing the noted symptoms above to not work.
I'm going to say this again. The tint people got water behind your dash. The BCM is right behind the glovebox and controls all of the issues you're having, including the charging system. Once the water hit it, it's game over. It's located where it is because there isn't supposed to be water on it/ in it.

I don't care if you didn't have "warning lights", it happened IMMEDIATELY after your tint job. That should have been your first clue.

You're not the first person to have it happen, and as long as people tint their windshields, you won't be the last.

· Registered
3,663 Posts
can I replace the bcm or does a dealer have to
You can replace it, but it will need to be flashed with your VIN and possibly a few items turned off or on. I THINK this can be done with alphaobd, but I'm not sure.

Honestly, if it was me, I'd bite the bullet and let a dealer do it...solely for the little bit of warranty with the work and part.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts