Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m looking for help determining what happened to my Charger, I was driving on the highway to go and get some food and as I was getting off at an exit I started slowing down and I felt the car downshift, shortly after that I felt a vibration in the rear almost felt like a wheel hop sensation, I heard a loud pop and I saw some black smoke behind my car and my RPM’s dropped to 500, I put the car immediately in neutral and pulled off to the shoulder to investigate. I saw a ton of oil leaking from the rear differential and upon further investigation I noticed a massive hole in the left side of the diff and the gears were showing. I have no idea how this happened because I wasn’t driving the car hard or doing anything crazy at all so I’m looking to see if someone has an idea.
0EB2C384-2693-436E-9CED-B3A1029D6F96.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
GB:
Welcome to the forum. That is one UGLY pic of a rear end. Something obviously let go, and in a big way. Being a '19, you are surely under warranty. I expect you had it towed to the dealer.

Don

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's possible it suffered a major housing crack at some previous burn out...? No matter...should be warranty....Good luck....

·
Registered
817 Posts
It looks like you had Jiffy Lube service the rear end. Sorry, couldn't resist. If the diff has never been serviced it either defective parts or lube, not filled at the factory all the way just enough to let her slowly wear,........... who knows but its tough luck for sure.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
This is a not uncommon problem on manual transmission Challengers, Chargers with the 392, and all Hellcats: If you do a lot of burnouts / hard starts there is too much torque applied for the aluminum housing to handle and they develop cracks, which eventually leads to explosive failure...google "Challenger-Charger differential brace" and read all about it and the solution (lots of cool videos of Demon differentials exploding on launch)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi I’m looking for help determining what happened to my Charger, I was driving on the highway to go and get some food and as I was getting off at an exit I started slowing down and I felt the car downshift, shortly after that I felt a vibration in the rear almost felt like a wheel hop sensation, I heard a loud pop and I saw some black smoke behind my car and my RPM’s dropped to 500, I put the car immediately in neutral and pulled off to the shoulder to investigate. I saw a ton of oil leaking from the rear differential and upon further investigation I noticed a massive hole in the left side of the diff and the gears were showing. I have no idea how this happened because I wasn’t driving the car hard or doing anything crazy at all so I’m looking to see if someone has an idea. View attachment 292320
GB:
Welcome to the forum. That is one UGLY pic of a rear end. Something obviously let go, and in a big way. Being a '19, you are surely under warranty. I expect you had it towed to the dealer.

Don
GB:

Don
That is an issue I am having with the dealership, I took it there for them to fix it but instead of fixing it they claimed I was “abusing and racing the car” because they found rubber in my wheel well. I called Chrysler and they said they will set me up with an agent to look into it but I don’t have much faith that it will change the dealerships mind. I’m not really sure what to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's possible it suffered a major housing crack at some previous burn out...? No matter...should be warranty....Good luck....
I thought it would be covered under warranty too but this dealership has been hassling me trying to get me to pay up front for the fix. They threatened me with if bringing in a engineer to look at my PCM to determine if I was abusing or racing the car and if I was doing those things it would void my warranty. But isn’t that what these cars are meant to do? I don’t baby my car but I also don’t redline it every single day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like you had Jiffy Lube service the rear end. Sorry, couldn't resist. If the diff has never been serviced it either defective parts or lube, not filled at the factory all the way just enough to let her slowly wear,........... who knows but its tough luck for sure.
I just don’t understand how it could have snapped like that during normal driving. I’ve seen this kinda thing happen a lot at drag strips, guys do a hard launch at 4,000+ RPM’s and it’s too much torque and power then either the diff gives out or the driveshaft goes flying into the stands. It’s just insane that this could happen with only 12,000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a not uncommon problem on manual transmission Challengers, Chargers with the 392, and all Hellcats: If you do a lot of burnouts / hard starts there is too much torque applied for the aluminum housing to handle and they develop cracks, which eventually leads to explosive failure...google "Challenger-Charger differential brace" and read all about it and the solution (lots of cool videos of Demon differentials exploding on launch)
The crazy part is I don’t even do that many burnouts, the most I do is put the car in manual mode and shift the gears myself but that’s about it. Also when I merge on the highway I kinda get a little excessive but that’s really about it. There’s also a launch control option in the car so that leads me to think that maybe they purposely put that stuff in there so they don’t have to pay for parts, so they can look at your computer and say “you were racing” then they can stay in business...they are lucky that I am a dodge fanatic...

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
GB:
Sorry to hear that they are taking this position. I think I would welcome their "engineer" to look it over. As stated, they SHOULD be able to know if this was abuse or not. If so, then that is another story. I imagine the repair would run a couple thousand if done out of warranty.
There was the dealer who denied warranty replacement of the $12K supercharger on a guy's Hellcat because he had installed a CAI. The SC issue was a known one with it's bearings. They eventually took care of him though.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello out there. I also own a 19 R/T with 3k on it.

I hear that you have not been beating the car, and I think Dosge should address your issue. That being said...

I think that performance cars, when driven hard require a great deal of maintenance and repairs. In my experience of 35 years of driving with enthusiasm, you expect bigger issues when you are pushing more torque and pushing the the vehicle. If you drive like the Dodge owners on You Tube, you should expect blown rear ends, transmissions, on top of blowing through tires and brakes as if money grew on trees. Race cars, drag cars get tons of love off the track. If you are doing burnouts, donuts and racing all the time your going to break stuff. Muscle cars always blew out rear ends, transmissions, and engines. At least that is my experience with the ones we were able to get our hands on in the 80s. A brand new Hemi back in the late 60’s had a 3 month warranty on it. That is brand new!!! Chrysler knew the deal back then. Hell, even Indy cars need constant upkeep.

My comments are not all pointed at normal use vehicles or the lifter issues on the 5.7 or anything like that. This is more of a reality check on capabilities. Even Army tanks and our most overly engineered fighter jets break down more in combat than in normal exercises and maneuvers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GB:
Sorry to hear that they are taking this position. I think I would welcome their "engineer" to look it over. As stated, they SHOULD be able to know if this was abuse or not. If so, then that is another story. I imagine the repair would run a couple thousand if done out of warranty.
There was the dealer who denied warranty replacement of the $12K supercharger on a guy's Hellcat because he had installed a CAI. The SC issue was a known one with it's bearings. They eventually took care of him though.

Don
I have read the limited power train warranty that comes with the car up and down front to back and it states that if you modified the part then it will not be covered under warranty, also if you race, misuse, or abuse the car. I haven't touched anything to make the car have that much more horsepower to make the rear end snap like that. The only things done to the car are a cold air intake and a mid muffler delete but neither of those things would be responsible for wreaking this kind of havoc on the rear end. So seeing as the car has so few miles and it is still almost brand new I am led to believe that it is a defective part from the factory. These cars are muscle cars so they are meant to be pushed hard and driven like a maniac, dodge knows that because they advertise it in their commercials all the time. I have seen differentials and drive shafts snap because of hard launches but that usually happens to higher performance drag racing cars that are pushing 1,200+ WHP and are on slicks. That isn't the case on my car, most of the modifications done are cosmetic, it just frustrates me that this dealership is handling this so poorly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello out there. I also own a 19 R/T with 3k on it.

I hear that you have not been beating the car, and I think Dosge should address your issue. That being said...

I think that performance cars, when driven hard require a great deal of maintenance and repairs. In my experience of 35 years of driving with enthusiasm, you expect bigger issues when you are pushing more torque and pushing the the vehicle. If you drive like the Dodge owners on You Tube, you should expect blown rear ends, transmissions, on top of blowing through tires and brakes as if money grew on trees. Race cars, drag cars get tons of love off the track. If you are doing burnouts, donuts and racing all the time your going to break stuff. Muscle cars always blew out rear ends, transmissions, and engines. At least that is my experience with the ones we were able to get our hands on in the 80s. A brand new Hemi back in the late 60’s had a 3 month warranty on it. That is brand new!!! Chrysler knew the deal back then. Hell, even Indy cars need constant upkeep.

My comments are not all pointed at normal use vehicles or the lifter issues on the 5.7 or anything like that. This is more of a reality check on capabilities. Even Army tanks and our most overly engineered fighter jets break down more in combat than in normal exercises and maneuvers.
I am well aware that pushing the car hard constantly will eventually cause catastrophic failures in the parts even if it's brand new. The fact of the matter is that under the circumstances that this happened in it's ridiculous that the dealership is giving me such a hard time for this because when this happened I was driving the car like a normal person going the speed limit and all since I had just got off work and I was exhausted, I was in no mood to be going fast. Then out of nowhere it just snaps and gives out! I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and say that I baby the car and it is garage kept, but I make sure it is well maintained, I put synthetic motor oil in the car, nothing but premium gas, and I always make sure the fluids are good. I am not a famous you tuber going out on weekends and taking it to the drag strip or street racing my car. I bought a muscle car because I fell in love with them ever since I saw the first F&F movie with Don's black 70's Charger and I wanted to love the car that I have and enjoy driving everywhere. Now the dealership is hassling me and blaming me for something that I didn't do with no concrete evidence other than "We found some rubber in the wheel well that's an indicator of burnouts." I just want this issue resolved and I want my baby back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Squeaky wheel gets the grease. You’re going to need to keep after them until they give in.
That's the same exact thing that everyone around me is saying. I got in contact with some friends that are mechanics and they stand behind be, if need be I'll get them involved. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have read the limited power train warranty that comes with the car up and down front to back and it states that if you modified the part then it will not be covered under warranty, also if you race, misuse, or abuse the car. I haven't touched anything to make the car have that much more horsepower to make the rear end snap like that. The only things done to the car are a cold air intake and a mid muffler delete but neither of those things would be responsible for wreaking this kind of havoc on the rear end. So seeing as the car has so few miles and it is still almost brand new I am led to believe that it is a defective part from the factory. These cars are muscle cars so they are meant to be pushed hard and driven like a maniac, dodge knows that because they advertise it in their commercials all the time. I have seen differentials and drive shafts snap because of hard launches but that usually happens to higher performance drag racing cars that are pushing 1,200+ WHP and are on slicks. That isn't the case on my car, most of the modifications done are cosmetic, it just frustrates me that this dealership is handling this so poorly.
Yeah, you can drive them like a maniac, if you want to pay for the repairs. 1968 Chargers had like a three month warranty. It was clear that the owner paid to repair them. No car driven like a maniac is going to be willingly covered. Not a Vette, a Mustang, or a Lamborghini. I don’t think engineers can actually build parts that never fail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, you can drive them like a maniac, if you want to pay for the repairs. 1968 Chargers had like a three month warranty. It was clear that the owner paid to repair them. No car driven like a maniac is going to be willingly covered. Not a Vette, a Mustang, or a Lamborghini. I don’t think engineers can actually build parts that never fail.
I completely agree with you, which is why I'm baffled that this happened when I was driving it normally. When I merge onto highways I'll give it some gas but nothing excessive or reckless. It is expected for a car's components to eventually
over time become degraded and fail and need replacing but under these conditions it was not expected.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts