Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new, completely stock 2019 Charger Police model that was left-over on the dealer's lot.

My vehicle is equipped with the police "Mini Console" which is a cheap plastic trim piece secured to the transmission tunnel by one nut.

I would like to remove the Mini Console plate, and replace it with a full OEM console which I obtained from another Charger. This is a fairly common modification, but I would like the cup holder LED lighting, rear USB ports, and interior media hub to work. I am not interested in modifying the police column/dash shifter... I am keeping that on the dash where it should be, and I have a "Street Appearance" plate to cover up the empty area on the console where the shifter would ordinarily be.

So basically, I would like to swap out the Mini Console, with the "Street Appearance" console.

My problem is this: the wiring harness of the full console is completely different from the wiring harness of the Mini Console. This is not a 'plug and play' conversion, and it looks like the wiring harness would need to be extensively spliced to by-pass the incompatible connectors.

I took the car to two different police upfitters, in addition to a radio shop familiar with police equipment installations. All three shops refused the job, and told me that they would not be willing to jury-rig the wiring harnesses, and that they only install/wire aftermarket consoles, not OEM consoles.

Also, I thought about just installing the full console without modifying the wiring (at least for now).
I can see the bolt holes and match them up to the bottom of the console, but the console will not fit flush against the transmission tunnel...there is a 1-2 inch gap, because the ride stability yaw control module is bolted to the transmission tunnel. This would need to be relocated, and I'm not sure if that is possible without adversely affecting the traction control.

Also, the VSIM module under the dash is preventing me from connecting the air conditioner duct from the console to the main duct under the dash (the connection should be possible because there is a rectangular hole there of the proper size, blocked only by a removable styrofoam plug).

Has anyone installed a full OEM console in a new-model police car so that the console features have electrical power?
If so, how?
Where should the electronic modules be relocated to (if at all)?

Is there a pig-tail kit that will work on the OEM console to make this a 'Plug and Play' project? (Nenno Products wiring harnesses will NOT work for this modification, I already called them).

I saw various videos on-line about people doing this modification in older models, but there is very little information pertaining to the newer vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
2019 Charger Police Mini Console.jpg
2019 Charger Police Under Console wiring.jpg
2019 Police Wiring.jpg
Full Console.jpg
Full Console Harness.jpg

·
Registered
2014 dodge charger pursuit
13 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with my 2014. I got an oem console from a 15 - 19. It fits if you remove the bracket holding the vsim and relocate it. With mine at least, I'm buying the oem civilian wires for the 12v and aux port.
68155494aa

68232705aa

I'll let you know how it goes whenever they arrive in the mail.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ah... I feel your pain. Well, I can't get you 100% of what you want, but, I can get you to around 75%. I also have a 2019 Charger Pursuit and I have installed a civilian console. The easy way. Didn't get everything, but I got MOST of the important features. This is what I've got.

console_4.png

1. The item on the left is the tray that goes with the civilian console. Looks like you don't have it. It closes the space from under the dash to the area where the floor shifter would go. Notice it has an accessory outlet.

2. The item in the middle is the USB and AUX outlet that you currently already have in your Pursuit. You do NOT need to buy another one.

3. The item on the right is a Micro USB male to female extension cable. You will need to buy one off of Amazon or some other place. They are cheap.

4. Take the civilian center console, turn it upside down, disconnect ALL of the wires and throw them away. You don't need them.

console_11.jpg

5. Remove the dual USB port assembly from the civilian console, make a small filler plate out of plastic, paint it black and glue it in.

6. Forget about making the rear A/C vents functional. Leave them in place.

7. Remove the accessory port and any other USB port from inside civilian console. You don't need them. You now have a stripped out civilian console.

8. Your Pursuit has two accessory outlets and one USB port under the heater controls. Since you've already removed the Police center console, that's OK.

9. Select either one of the accessory outlets, clip the wires (should be two) and extend them with more wire. About 15 inches.

10. Once you get the tray for the civilian console, remove the outlet that it comes with and replace it with the Pursuit outlet that has NOT been extended. The wires are long enough as is.

11. The outlet with the extended wires, place it into the inside of the glove box in the civilian console. It will fit fine

12. Insert the Pursuit USB and Aux port module into the left over open space in the civilian console glove box. Fish the wires under and inside. It will fit. You WILL need to use the USB Micro extension cable to reach the original fitting in the Pursuit harness. The Aux cable will fit with no modifications.

13. Bolt the whole shootin' match to the tunnel. The module you've mentioned will fit with ample clearance.

Done. No workable vents. Only one USB port. Two power outlets. That's what I got. The accessory outlet inside the glove box is what I use to power my Sirius XM unit. The Aux port I use for my Ipod. It can be controlled from the steering wheel.
Charger_console1.jpg

Works for me.

Greg

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
9 Posts
I literally did this two weeks ago (I knew I should have taken photos). I simply used the hot that fed the police console 12v sockets and a switched hot from the big trunk of wires to feed the 12v inside the console. You’re only dealing with a couple hot wires so for my needs I didn’t want to track down or buy the harness. One difference might be I didn’t want to use the USB or Aux inside the console.

I now have 4 12v sockets and placed 2 of them in my blank plate along with Aux and USB. Admittedly, I couldn’t find a good 5 V feed for the USBs in the rear, but since this is a solo ride 99.9% of the time I’ll figure out a different way to charge up the kids tablets if they are ever in it that long.

I did have to splice the LED feeds for the cupholders and the little cubby into the switched hots.

Regarding the yaw sensor as you call it, you might want to double check that’s what’s actually preventing it from fully seating. I thought that would be the case as well but mine is still mounted to the tunnel and it seems like everything is seated fully. The only thing impeding it was the wiring connectors.

I pulled the VSIM. I really don’t see any use for it. It was fully functional and front and rear wigwags worked just fine when 12v was applied to the right leads, but I couldn’t figure out any practical application for that. As you noticed once you pull it out the rear vent duct should meet up just fine. It does take a little finesse maneuvering it under there but I think you’ll figure it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the information.

I was actually able to get the rear console vents functional, and they now blow A/C. It requires Part 68244776AA which is the duct that runs along the bottom of the console, lengthwise. This duct connects to the main duct underneath the dash board. There is a rectangular cut-out in the duct under the dash, and that cut-out is plugged with a styrofoam block. I reached in with my fingers and removed the styrofoam plug, and was able to push the duct into place.

The console/duct assembly was not fitting flush on the transmission tunnel for three reasons (that I know of so far). I realized this when I saw two indentations on the vinyl flooring as I was attempting to force the console assembly downward into place (luckily nothing broke).

On the bottom side of the A/C console duct, there is a white snap connector which snaps into a hole in the floor underneath the vinyl flooring (but there is no hole in the vinyl itself). So I used a screw driver to make a hole where the indentation was (circled in red), and the duct snapped into the floor.

Also, there is a hard plastic "nib" on the bottom of the console that fits into a corresponding hole in the floor. Again, there was no hole in the vinyl to accommodate this, so I cut one with a razor.

In addition, some of the wiring was "bunching up" against the sensor modules. I tucked the wires away as best as I could, and I ended up not needing to move any of the modules.

The console fits "sort-of" flat on the transmission tunnel now... not quite the way I want it, but better than it was (maybe a 3/4 inch gap now instead of 2 inches. I will re-visit this later and buy the extended the mini-USB cable. The floor console tray is on order, but has not arrived yet... I noticed it has a blue 12 volt power outlet instead of a green one like the others... is this significant?

I connected the police wiring connector to the 12 volt outlet inside the console and it appears to work, although I can't tell if the LED ring around the outlet illuminates... any thoughts on that?

Thanks again

Nib.jpg
Rubber floor.jpg
Console Duct.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tucson,
I'm curious how you wired electricity into the LED cupholders, and the "cool white light" in the console tray... can you describe this...what hot wire did you tap into?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the connector on the harness that plugs into the socket at the bottom of the console for the LED cupholder lights...the wires are colored White, Pink, Orange, and Gray.
Can you describe the procedure to get the LED cupholder lights to work?
Did you cut this assembly off the harness and wire it into a hot wire?
Where was the hot wire in the main harness that you used?
Is there a risk of overloading the LED ring in the cupholders?
Thanks for the information!
Cup holder wiring.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the delay. When you look at the connector, you will see 4 wires for the cup holder feed, not sure what two of them do, but you will see two come out to the LED. I actually cut into the feed and used light gauge wire to splice into the console positive and negative. I did the same with the cubby LED, tying it into the 12v socket on the dash. I briefly thought about if it could somehow damage the LEDs, but decided to just roll the dice and hook it up - no issues as of yet for either the cup holder LEDs or the cubby LED.

I pretty much made a very simple wiring harness using a hybrid of the console wiring and my own Siamese red/black 18 ga to wire everything up.

I know, this thread sucks without pictures. If I ever have it off I will get photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone tried to tap into the existing wiring for the courtesy lights...maybe the interior door handle lights?
Then connect that current to the LED lights in the console cup holders and the tray/lighter assembly?
That way the lights would dim with the rest of the courtesy lights...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Made a little headway on my conversion. I was looking up a stereo wire harness for a ford focus at work and saw a pic of a Metra 71-5520-1 in the list of possible ones. It looks just like the female version of the oem plug on my 2015-19 console. If I can find the find the male versions of the plugs that come from my 2014's harness. I can make a simple adapter.
The plug on my new console

The plug I just found

The plugs I need the male versions to.

·
Registered
178 Posts
charger_plugs1.jpg

You jogged a memory in my brain. I got my 2019 Pursuit last year and it was nearly new. In the trunk was a plastic bag with these three connectors. I just put them on the shelf in my garage since I didn't have a need for them when I installed my console. Are these what you're looking for?

Greg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
I have the same bag w/ the jumper wire sets that plug into the mystery plugs in the wiring harness. I believe they are for wig-wag systems, and other police equip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the left one on the way. The right one (I think) is for the civilian shifter. Im not sure on the center one. I got the 2014 R/T harness for the 12v sockets and aux port. Anyone have a wire schematic for the aux? Thats most of my point in all of this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts