Charger Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Cars with STP or pursuits or 2019+ R/Ts say "high speed engine controller" on the sticker means you aren't artificially capped below drag limit.
Agree and good point. Scat Packs should say the same thing and a tuner screenshot I saw said 186 mph, which in essence means no limiter since it is drag limited before it could get there.

I just checked the Michigan Police test and in 2020 the 5.7 RWD and AWD both hit 149 and the 3.6 hit 141 (RWD) and 140 (AWD). The weird thing is they have the 2021 preliminary tests up and all Chargers hit 140. I wonder what happened to that 9 mph? The Ford 3.0 turbo Explorer hits 148 mph we better find that 9!
Maybe a company decision to limit them now for 2021, have to check a new build sheet to see what it says.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
The cars are governed depending on the tires it came with, that is 100% of the reason. Look at the stock tires, H vs V vs Z that will tell you the top speed. The RTs come with different tires depending on the model, hence the 130/155/unlimited ratings.
Scat Packs are drag limited to ~180, that is theoretically as fast as the car can go if everything is perfect. The Hellcat as well at ~205, that is all it will do stock. Both have 210mph tires.

I've never heard of the SP widebody having a governed 165 mph top speed as posted earlier, my guess is that it's just the extra drag and weight of the aero kit, and wider tires slowing it down. I could easily believe that the car would lose 8% of its top speed adding all of that drag, rolling resistance, and weight.
Dodge claimed the narrow body Hellcat would do 204mph. The Wide Body Hellcat does "only" 196mph.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
158 Posts
Dodge claimed the narrow body Hellcat would do 204mph. The Wide Body Hellcat does "only" 196mph.
Only 196??? Pffft might as well just get a Civic 😂

But seriously anything Scat Pack and above is drag limited, except for the Demon. It's governed at 168 from the factory, again this is due to the stock tires speed rating.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
205 in a 65.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Note that the officer also wrote him for no motorcycle endorsement, basically driving without a license.
Depending on his attitude, I might have let that slide, as long as the rest of his OL was valid.
I recall a humorous moment in court one day. The prosecutor was reading off the list of traffic charges against a well known frequent flyer. The judge quipped, " It sounds like the only thing he didn't write you for, was having a parade without a parade permit!" 😂 😂 😂
The defendant was in a lighthearted mood, as he chuckled himself, along with most of the court room.

Don

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
158 Posts
Note that the officer also wrote him for no motorcycle endorsement, basically driving without a license.
Depending on his attitude, I might have let that slide, as long as the rest of his OL was valid.
I recall a humorous moment in court one day. The prosecutor was reading off the list of traffic charges against a well known frequent flyer. The judge quipped, " It sounds like the only thing he didn't write you for, was having a parade without a parade permit!" 😂 😂 😂
The defendant was in a lighthearted mood, as he chuckled himself, along with most of the court room.

Don
Is that a ticket for 205 in a 65 W/O motorcycle endorsement?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yep the top speed does look suspicious, but the max speed that the fixed wing patrol timed the guy at stuck to their work and wrote the ticket. Are cars the only vehicles that can be modified for performance? No.

As far as the speed fine goes, that was back in 04 according to the court date. Maybe it was $215 for speeding back then plus whatever else for the reckless charge.

It's interesting what you can dig up on the net, but it often turns into a DB Cooper affair getting to the bottom of it

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
158 Posts

Original article from the AP, they say the pilot had most likely misclocked the time...is misclocked a word, the world may never know.

If you want actual articles on it Google the guys name

Samuel Armstrong Tilley

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
For those who understand, possibly a "combining" error.
😂 😂 😂

Don

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
10-4 but a stock R/T won't do 158 so my point was you are drag limited around 145-150. People don't realize how much extra power you need to eek out another 5 or 10 mph once you get over 150. Cars with STP or pursuits or 2019+ R/Ts say "high speed engine controller" on the sticker means you aren't artificially capped below drag limit.

I just checked the Michigan Police test and in 2020 the 5.7 RWD and AWD both hit 149 and the 3.6 hit 141 (RWD) and 140 (AWD). The weird thing is they have the 2021 preliminary tests up and all Chargers hit 140. I wonder what happened to that 9 mph? The Ford 3.0 turbo Explorer hits 148 mph we better find that 9!
I looked at several 2021 5.7L Pursuits and only one had the High Speed Engine Controller on the build sheet so guess the others are limited to 140 now.

The 3.6L probably was drag limited to 140.

And the build sheet confirms the new Pursuit with the A8 will indeed have a column mounted shifter.

EDIT: I did see a 3.6L car and on the window sticker it said 130 MPH SPEED LIMITER so guess this is an option the PD can order.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts