Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a junk yard and I found a 8.4 for a 2017 I was wondering if I could rig it up in my 2015 I have the crappy 4.3 touch screen and was looking for an semi cheap upgrade

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You should be able to go from a RB5 8.4 to a UAG head unit, but it's not a walk in the park.

First, you have to get the right head unit to match your features, like satellite. And you'd lose advanced features toggled through the head unit, including but not limited to heated/cooled seats and sport mode. You might be able to use a UAS/UAQ instead. These guys offer those units as a direct upgrade for 2015/2016 Chargers, but I suspect they might be tweaked for your application in ways that a junkyard unit wouldn't be.

You'll need to switch out the Media Hub (USB ports) in the console, and have a dealer (or someone who's got advanced skills with some other high-end diagnostic tool, maybe AlfaOBD) reprogram your BCM for the newer Media Hub so Android Auto or CarPlay will work. And you will definitely need that same dealer or tech on standby with diagnostics in case any other systems refuse to work after the radio swap.

But to go from an RHA or whatever 4.3 Uconnect unit you've got now...I've never seen that done.

Reactions: max1kev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be able to go from a RB5 8.4 to a UAG head unit, but it's not a walk in the park.

First, you have to get the right head unit to match your features, like satellite. And you'd lose advanced features toggled through the head unit, including but not limited to heated/cooled seats and sport mode. You might be able to use a UAS/UAQ instead. These guys offer those units as a direct upgrade for 2015/2016 Chargers, but I suspect they might be tweaked for your application in ways that a junkyard unit wouldn't be.

You'll need to switch out the Media Hub (USB ports) in the console, and have a dealer (or someone who's got advanced skills with some other high-end diagnostic tool, maybe AlfaOBD) reprogram your BCM for the newer Media Hub so Android Auto or CarPlay will work. And you will definitely that same dealer or tech on standby with diagnostics in case any other systems refuse to work after the radio swap.

But to go from an RHA or whatever 4.3 Uconnect unit you've got now...I've never seen that done.
Yeah I've asked around and I didn't really get a straight answer. I think my plans are to just buy another charger because in the long run it will infact be a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Many people on the Facebook groups swear it's plug and play, those radios pop up on Ebay and the forums, that's a good price if it's a NAV unit and you get the antenna, rearview mirror with the 911 button and the backup camera stuff with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is plug and play. The only thing that's having a bit of trouble is the climate controls aren't showing up on the screen properly, but they work fine if I use the buttons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts