Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching through forums and google and haven't found an answer, or maybe there is no answer, so I was hoping someone that knows more about brakes/calipers can help. I do tend to drive around like I'm Danica Patrick, I mean we have sports cars for a reason right, so more stopping power would be safer too, but I'm mostly looking to upgrade my calipers for aesthetics. I have caliper covers on now and they were always meant to be placeholders because I personally think they look kind of cheap. All that being said, I was wondering if there is a way to get the [insert whatever color you prefer] calipers that won't break the bank. I'm not a huge fan of the powerstop calipers. I feel like I might as well paint the OEM calipers if that's the route you want to go if for aesthetics. It would be awesome to not have to replace the spindles/knuckles. Not to mention, I've looked around and can't find any take-offs so I would have to add another significant chunk of change for new ones. Does anyone know if there are any calipers that still look great but don't require the SRT spindles/knuckles? I've been googling a ton and just can't figure it out. Will 4-piston calipers do the trick? Brake systems are definitely not my area of expertise. I need to replace my brake pads and rotors so a kit isn't out of the question if there are any that won't put me out 4 grand. From what I have found, I believe I have dual pistons up front and single in the back if that helps. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
A good upgrade is to the police pursuit BR9 brakes. The problem is gathering the parts you have to be resourceful. New parts are not available unless you can find a MOPAR Big Brake Kit and that is fronts only.
The pit falls are sellers not listing accurately.
No knuckle changes required but you would need all four calipers and Rotors, front rotor dust shields and BR9 front brake lines and of coarse the pads.
Knowing what I know now if I had to do it currently I would hit a salvaged 2015 & up pursuit for all the calipers and front sheilds and rebuild them. Its easy. Then shop for Rotors, pads, and lines.

There is a large thread HERE on the BR9 upgrade. I will tell you its one of my most favorite and enjoyed mods. And when searching vendors look under 2015 and up to make sure you get the BR9 rear calipers. Some 2014's only have the front BR9 from factory. If you are seriouse read the whole thread, a little everyday if needed.

As for caliper painting its easy for existing, just clean them up, tape things off and spray them. Lots of that mentioned on this forum.
Or take them off, remove the pistons and seals and have a powder coat shop do them for about $25.00 each.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good upgrade is to the police pursuit BR9 brakes. The problem is gathering the parts you have to be resourceful. New parts are not available unless you can find a MOPAR Big Brake Kit and that is fronts only.
The pit falls are sellers not listing accurately.
No knuckle changes required but you would need all four calipers and Rotors, front rotor dust shields and BR9 front brake lines and of coarse the pads.
Knowing what I know now if I had to do it currently I would hit a salvaged 2015 & up pursuit for all the calipers and front sheilds and rebuild them. Its easy. Then shop for Rotors, pads, and lines.

There is a large thread HERE on the BR9 upgrade. I will tell you its one of my most favorite and enjoyed mods. And when searching vendors look under 2015 and up to make sure you get the BR9 rear calipers. Some 2014's only have the front BR9 from factory. If you are seriouse read the whole thread, a little everyday if needed.

As for caliper painting its easy for existing, just clean them up, tape things off and spray them. Lots of that mentioned on this forum.
Or take them off, remove the pistons and seals and have a powder coat shop do them for about $25.00 each.

View attachment 296065

Thanks georgiapai! I saw mentions of BR5 and BR9, but just wasn't sure. I will check that thread out and definitely will read the whole thing. I thought about hitting up a salvage shop too, I'm fine without new parts as long as the parts are in good shape.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Good luck with the search. Took me about a yr to find all the parts for the pursuit BR9 setup.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Good luck with the search. Took me about a yr to find all the parts for the pursuit BR9 setup.
That's why I would go with salvage for the calipers and put new seals and rings in them.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you are going to keep the car its so worth it.
The rotors are huge, so are the calipers and are cast iron vs. aluminum. To get the maximum run Semi-metallic pads. Yes a little dust but not too bad.

VERY Brake Fade resistant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if I understand correctly, there really isn’t a way to get the actual performance calipers that have a similar look to brembo or baer without doing the spindles/knuckles. Is that right?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Wilwood and Baer brakes will use STOCK spindles.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Yea they have ones that fit the 5.7 stand by for link

·
Registered
2,696 Posts

Pretty sure the spindles haven’t changed from 16 to 17.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks so much! It might still be a little out of my price range, but I could potentially swing it. I will keep on with the research into these options.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Yes they’re pricey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still have been doing a bunch of research and I've come across a few shops that have basically made custom fitments. I probably will hold off this time around and save up, but thought yall might want to know, at least for future reference! I've included a link below. They are a little less costly than the others I've seen. I reached out to them to confirm that spindles/knuckles aren't needed and they said they are not, everything needed comes with the kit.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Still have been doing a bunch of research and I've come across a few shops that have basically made custom fitments. I probably will hold off this time around and save up, but thought yall might want to know, at least for future reference! I've included a link below. They are a little less costly than the others I've seen. I reached out to them to confirm that spindles/knuckles aren't needed and they said they are not, everything needed comes with the kit.

Why not get this from Cleveland Power and Performance: 2015-2020 Charger Challenger R/T SRT OEM Black Brembo Brake Upgrade Front & Rear Complete w/ Spindles Rotors & Calipers - Cleveland Power & Performance

I bought a set of take off 2010 SRT Challenger Springs/Shocks/Struts from them for my 2006 about 7-8 years ago.

If you are paying someone to install anyway this won't be too much more and the parts are way cheaper. If you can handle it yourself even better!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why not get this from Cleveland Power and Performance: 2015-2020 Charger Challenger R/T SRT OEM Black Brembo Brake Upgrade Front & Rear Complete w/ Spindles Rotors & Calipers - Cleveland Power & Performance

I bought a set of take off 2010 SRT Challenger Springs/Shocks/Struts from them for my 2006 about 7-8 years ago.

If you are paying someone to install anyway this won't be too much more and the parts are way cheaper. If you can handle it yourself even better!
That's a great option! I'll keep an eye on when they get more in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@BigM06R/TAWT well I decided to email them to ask when they get more and they had some in stock. After much debate, I decided to pull the trigger! Thanks for contributing to the thread. I think I came across the site at one point but didn't see what I needed at the time, so glad you referred me back to them. Super excited to get these bad boys on and putting the stopping power to the test!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts