Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi charger community! I am finally getting to upgrade my 2015 sxt to a r/t charger! Right now I'm looking at 2 options:
1. 2016 road and track with 43k miles and loaded AF
2. 2020 r/t with 18k miles, pretty much base model and $6k more expensive.

What would be a smarter choice in this case? I like the idea of having more features, but I would easily chose reliability and lower maintenance over bells and whistles. I'm also hopping not go car shopping after this purchase for next 5 - 8 years. From what I could find the 2017+ models have the active exhaust system and it seems that lots of people would automatically go 2017+ just because of that. What else would I miss out if I go the 2016 route? Or I wouldn't really miss anything critical and could save $6k? What are the insurance cost differences? I already checked the 2020 charger with my agent, my price is about to increase by $100.
Thanks everyone and I'd appreciate any input!

·
Registered
397 Posts
It really depends on the options on both cars. I think the R&T package comes with an LSD. That alone would seal the deal for me.
I hate that Dodge offers a RWD performance sedan with an open rear end.
On the other hand, the 2020 will have warranty(and a 3.09 LSD is a bolt in).
In the end, I would choose the newer car with warranty and add the LSD after the fact.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2020 for sure. For the looks, the warranty, the active exhaust, resale value a few years from now, etc... Like the post above mentioned - you can always add the LSD differential if that's important to you.

Reactions: mrtag

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It really depends on the options on both cars. I think the R&T package comes with an LSD. That alone would seal the deal for me.
I hate that Dodge offers a RWD performance sedan with an open rear end.
On the other hand, the 2020 will have warranty(and a 3.09 LSD is a bolt in).
In the end, I would choose the newer car with warranty and add the LSD after the fact.
The 2016 R/T R&T doesn't have an LSD... it did come with a 3.07 rear but it's not LSD. To your point much better to add a real LSD for about $1k and labor if you really want it.

The R&T package was really nice since it added the alcantara seats with ventilation and HIDs among other things. Suspension wise should be similar, I think they billed the 2016 as a "sport suspention" and since 2019+ R/T all came with super track pak which should be similar springs/shocks/struts as the 2015-2016 R/T R&T even though they are now called "performance suspension" with the Scat being "high-performance".

The active exhaust and performance fasica look is really hard to pass up even if it is $6k more... add in the fact that you also get apple car play and android auto and I'd lean to the 2020. Maybe keep looking around until you can find a 2019+ with the Plus group?

Reactions: Karl_1052 and mrtag

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,367 Posts
2020 ends down, just go compare the standard features on both years and you will see that the 2020 is a better equipped car in standard form. Features from 2016 are nice buy your U connect is older, no Car Play or Android Auto and no warranty at least from the factory. A 2020 is the move man.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Y'all are hurting my 2016 Road and Track :)

I will begrudgingly concede the following dis-advantages for any 2016 or older 5.7

The quiet sad stock exhaust with turndowns and the bumper tips. 17-19 Non Super track pack also got this setup but with the active exhaust and mostly 2.75 inch exhaust. The bumper tip cars got a 2.5 inch turndown welded to the rear muffler/resonator For the active exhaust R/T the cat back is 2.75 inch same as a Scat, but the end where the mid pipes attach are pinched down to 2.5" OD to fit the 5.7 mid pipes, same back to 2015

I swapped mine to a Scat pack cat back, changed the bumper diffuser to the Pursuit version The shop made a active exhaust delete as it was cut off for original owners Corsa system to retain the active on his scat. They also had to put 2.5 - 2.75 adapters on my stock mid pipes to fit the full 2.75 inch cat back.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Maserati

The 15-16 Uconnect has no car play/Android auto and uses 3G for the Uconnect communication and traffic updates for the factory Nav. My 3G still gets a signal, but that will be obsolete soon.

There was no 20x9 wheel option in 2016 that I know of, I upgraded to Hellcat 20x9.5 while the 2020 can be had with 20x9 wheels, and even 4 piston brembo options

The Road and Track package 29R is a great deal, listed below.. The "performance suspension" mine has SACHS shocks, similar to the Scat pack Billstiens but not yellow. Stiffer suspension vs an R/T but higher ride height vs a Scat

Facial expression Organism Font Rectangle Circle

Font Number Document Screenshot

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Exclude the 2019 from your list Folingo as in 2019 Super Track Pak and performance fascias was standard. My 2019 has the SACHS shocks too firmer but the Scat sits about 0.5 to 0.75 inches lower on the "high-performance" suspension on Scats or GT R/T with Performance Handling Group.

I think the Road and Track package was a hell of a bargain at $3,000... I wonder why they abandoned the 3.07 rear for the Super Track Pak cars in 2017-2018 and obviously 2019+. I thought it was like 0.1 second quicker to 60 but I've always seen magazines get the 2019 to 60 in 4.9 seconds so maybe it wasn't worth the gas consumption penalty (even though they rated it same MPG).

·
Registered
283 Posts
They made some type of oddball differential for the 3.07 open using the 230 mm housing , probably cheaper just to go back to the 2.62, Mine breaks traction pretty abruptly, with the TC off it doesn't move at all once you go too far launching. Some guy posted his non STP 2019 R/T a while ago, maybe it was a rental?? or a tall story dunno

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
They made some type of oddball differential for the 3.07 open using the 230 mm housing , probably cheaper just to go back to the 2.62, Mine breaks traction pretty abruptly, with the TC off it doesn't move at all once you go too far launching. Some guy posted his non STP 2019 R/T a while ago, maybe it was a rental?? or a tall story dunno
Even the rental R/Ts from 2019 are Super Track Pak cars with the performance fascias. I saw plenty of rental 2019s for sale when I was looking for my car. When you run the VIN thru the build site it shows Hertz delivery fleet car etc. Some of them were well equipped with Plus group even.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hi charger community! I am finally getting to upgrade my 2015 sxt to a r/t charger! Right now I'm looking at 2 options:
1. 2016 road and track with 43k miles and loaded AF
2. 2020 r/t with 18k miles, pretty much base model and $6k more expensive.

What would be a smarter choice in this case? I like the idea of having more features, but I would easily chose reliability and lower maintenance over bells and whistles. I'm also hopping not go car shopping after this purchase for next 5 - 8 years. From what I could find the 2017+ models have the active exhaust system and it seems that lots of people would automatically go 2017+ just because of that. What else would I miss out if I go the 2016 route? Or I wouldn't really miss anything critical and could save $6k? What are the insurance cost differences? I already checked the 2020 charger with my agent, my price is about to increase by $100.
Thanks everyone and I'd appreciate any input!
Go with the 2020. Period. You’ll like it more. Do maintenance according to manual and it will last a long time. Good luck! I’ve owned 9 chargers now I like the active exhaust and looks of newer ones but active exhaust was huge difference just by itself. Share links of cars if you can so we can look at them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts