Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the inconsistent performance (especially with the recent OTA update) of this uConnect radio, and factoring in that 2016 owners were LIED to per the press announcement from January of 2016 that stated CarPlay would be included in later 2016 models, I am ready to throw this head unit out. Simple question: I have conflicting information if this can be done or not. I fully realize I will need an interface (Idatalink Maestro) - it appears that all should work, but has anyone done it? I would have liked to avoid this, and it really burns me up that I spent $36k on a car (that is otherwise outstanding) to have such an incredibly disappointing audio system. My 2006 Charger with the BA 7 speaker system blew this current system away.

I have the 8.4 non-nav radio formerly equipped with Alpine speakers. I have a nicely appointed interior (headed/cooled seats, etc). Although I am not crazy about doing this (and about having to deal with trim rings and a smaller screen), iPhone integration with consistent and reliable performance is a HUGE deal for me...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd look into getting a uaq/uas radio. These are the newest generation of uconnect radio with both Apple and Android car options. There are a few companies selling them online and you might be able to work out a deal to swap yours as partial payment. Now getting it into your car is another story. Either you'll need to have it programmed by the dealer to your car or these same companies will do it.

Check out www.infotainment.com

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
^ As good as that information is unless you want to spend $1,000+ going that route I suggest getting a unit from a totaled 2017+ model that has the 8.4" uconnect with nav. You'll save hundreds of $$. I plan on doing this if I buy this 2016 R/T when my lease is up which should also be right when the warranty ends for non-power train items. I'm pretty upset like you are that my 2016 nav unit is basically a useless unit going forward with no carplay for you and more map updates for all of us (the map thing pisses me off to no end).

·
Registered
533 Posts
^ As good as that information is unless you want to spend $1,000+ going that route I suggest getting a unit from a totaled 2017+ model that has the 8.4" uconnect with nav. You'll save hundreds of $$. I plan on doing this if I buy this 2016 R/T when my lease is up which should also be right when the warranty ends for non-power train items. I'm pretty upset like you are that my 2016 nav unit is basically a useless unit going forward with no carplay for you and more map updates for all of us (the map thing pisses me off to no end).
What's the best way to find late model totaled cars? Like... just go to pull a part or what? Is there a good website that sells stuff like that? I would like to find one and make that swap. Car play would be great. I was so disappointed that the 2016's didn't come with it.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
What's the best way to find late model totaled cars? Like... just go to pull a part or what? Is there a good website that sells stuff like that? I would like to find one and make that swap. Car play would be great. I was so disappointed that the 2016's didn't come with it.
I wish I could tell you. I know locally in DFW we have a ton of salvage yards that could possibly get a newer vehicle's parts from but not sure about your area. I'd call around if you're interested in going that route. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suspect the actual media application portion of the "infotainment" system is independent of the environmental controls. Does anyone think we could extract that software from the newer models and flash them on top of our own units? Is there anyone doing this? 2014 RT AWD here with 8.4 and lots of missing album art.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Does anyone think we could extract that software from the newer models and flash them on top of our own units? Is there anyone doing this?
This would be a great solution, but, the 2015-2016 models apparently are locked. You might be in the clear since you have a 2014 and have the ability to at least take an upgrade via SD card.

A used headunit out of a totaled 2017+ model isn't that expensive so as long as it will work in your 2014 I suggest going that route. I'm going to do the same and sell this 8.4 nav unit for what I can to recoup as much of the cost as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined and purchased a used 2014 SE. Did you get a an after market unit an install it? I am thinking of doing this as well. Just want to know what headaches you ran into?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Just joined and purchased a used 2014 SE. Did you get a an after market unit an install it? I am thinking of doing this as well. Just want to know what headaches you ran into?
I have not bought a new headunit as of yet. I'm waiting to see if my unit can be hacked. :) I'm not sure if the 2015+ headunits will work in a 2014 though, you may want to find that out before you get one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was going to go the route of swapping my '16 radio with a newer one to get CarPlay, but I recently saw the device from NavTool to add CarPlay to the existing radio. I bought one and it arrived yesterday.

I haven't completely closed up my car yet, but I got it all working last night before it got too dark. I'm going to go finish it up later today, and I'll take some pictures of the install and do a quick review/writeup.

This plugs in pretty m the same way as a Lockpick, and mirrors most of the features, but it adds CarPlay, too.

The touchscreen doesn't work in the CarPlay mode, but it comes with a little remote that attaches to the steering wheel, and that seems good enough.

It's not a "cheap" solution at around $500, but I think I'm going to be pretty happy with it, and it's a lot cheaper than spending $1800 on a '17 radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
After starting this thread and going back and forth on a lot of things, I sucked it up and purchased the UAQ from Infotainment. Yes, it was expensive. It is a great radio and very responsive. I was just about settled on an aftermarket unit along with the Idatalink Maestro, but after discovering (from another thread here) that there was a steel dash brace that would have to be cut (on top of a custom dash bezel to hold the radio) that was the ‘last straw’ so to speak. All I can say is Dodge really screwed over owners of the 15s and 16s by not offering an ‘official’ upgrade path to the 17+ radios. For the money spent on these vehicles, this is the radio that SHOULD have been in our cars.

So far, EVERYTHING as worked just as it should. It has integrated right into my vehicle so my backup camera, heated/cooled seats/heated steering and voice commands all work (much better) as with the ‘16 8.4 radio. The fact that I was able to sell my old radio for $700 really helped go a long way into doing this upgrade.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have not bought a new headunit as of yet. I'm waiting to see if my unit can be hacked. :) I'm not sure if the 2015+ headunits will work in a 2014 though, you may want to find that out before you get one.
They don't. That's the short answer. Basically the canbus system changed in 2015 so everything 2014 and down can't upgrade. The sad sad reality cuz mines a 2013 and I really wanted the new radio.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
They don't. That's the short answer. Basically the canbus system changed in 2015 so everything 2014 and down can't upgrade. The sad sad reality cuz mines a 2013 and I really wanted the new radio.

Thanks Drewskie. That's a bummer indeed. Likely later this year or next year I'll be on the lookout for a 2017+ head unit. I need to find a friendly Chrysler/Dodge tech that can "unlock it" for my car. I just wonder what that process is..?

·
Registered
516 Posts

I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. At least as far as any canbus changes go, it’s the same, although some of the command strings are probably different. I’m pretty sure that if you got adapters (or made some yourself) to change the wiring from one interface to another, you could install a ‘15+ radio into an ‘11-‘14 vehicle.

The latest firmware in the TaZer from zautomotive let’s you choose which radio you have, so I think it translates the commands from the older cars to work with the newer radios if you swap them out. It does the same thing if you want to install a newer instrument cluster into your old dashboard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Swapping head units

Hey so I've actually been dealing with a similar headache. My 8.4N system in my 2014 Charger is way inconsistent when it comes to bluetooth audio; dipping in quality and skipping/choppy/interrupting. I have inquired with Uconnectcares and with Chrysler as well. Essentially any models from around 2013 and after with the 8.4" head units are not upgradable. So if your unit is having issues or isn't receiving updates on par with the newer models (i.e. android auto/apple carplay), then you are out of luck because Uconnect doesn't have any idea what their engineering department is doing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Uconnect didn't make this radio. Panasonic did and it's was garbage the day it was created.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
There is a place in Tampa FL called GAGLES that seems to always have newer cars....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts