Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only owning my Charger 1 1/2 yrs at the time my door panels starting warping and and separating from the door. I have read that this has been a problem in many of the model's years. I am not writing about my car but will say when I called to Dodge / Mopar to see why this hasnt been a recall they said they couldnt help me but said, "I can offer you a coupon!" I said, " did you just offer me a coupon? For what a new car? Taco bell? McDonalds?" She didnt know what kind of coupon. Wait. What? Customer service at its finest. I worked my ass off to buy this car and both door panels look like crap! Its off warranty and the new door panels run $1750.00 each & they will just do the same thing. Very, very disappointing. My question is this. Does anyone know if the 2019 or 2020 Chargers have the same issues? I realize there are only scat pack R/T's now but if the same problem that has been plauging the previous "years " with this issue is still not fixed in the new tears I am writing Dodge off. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
After only owning my Charger 1 1/2 yrs at the time my door panels starting warping and and separating from the door. I have read that this has been a problem in many of the model's years. I am not writing about my car but will say when I called to Dodge / Mopar to see why this hasnt been a recall they said they couldnt help me but said, "I can offer you a coupon!" I said, " did you just offer me a coupon? For what a new car? Taco bell? McDonalds?" She didnt know what kind of coupon. Wait. What? Customer service at its finest. I worked my ass off to buy this car and both door panels look like crap! Its off warranty and the new door panels run $1750.00 each & they will just do the same thing. Very, very disappointing. My question is this. Does anyone know if the 2019 or 2020 Chargers have the same issues? I realize there are only scat pack R/T's now but if the same problem that has been plauging the previous "years " with this issue is still not fixed in the new tears I am writing Dodge off. Thank you.
This certainly ins't the owning experience we want for you, Penny Lane. To clarify, have you brought your concerns to the attention of your dealer recently for repairs? Although we cannot guarantee any certain outcome, we do recommend scheduling a diagnostic appointment. If you would like any assistance, please let us know.

Kate
DodgeCares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kate,
Yes I took it to my local dealership where I have taken my car for everything since I bought it. They said there was nothing they could do as it is no longer under warranty. This is an issue that Chargers have had going back to 2014 models. You would think they would have fixed it by now. Have they fixed it on this years models? I paid $30,000 for a car that 1. Looks like a 20 year old car inside and 2. The peeling has come so far away from the door anyone can see right down in there to break in. The dealership said eventually the center console will do the same. I have been a Dodge /Hemi fan forever. Had a Ram that had no problems. This is ridiculous!! A coupon? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi Kate,
Yes I took it to my local dealership where I have taken my car for everything since I bought it. They said there was nothing they could do as it is no longer under warranty. This is an issue that Chargers have had going back to 2014 models. You would think they would have fixed it by now. Have they fixed it on this years models? I paid $30,000 for a car that 1. Looks like a 20 year old car inside and 2. The peeling has come so far away from the door anyone can see right down in there to break in. The dealership said eventually the center console will do the same. I have been a Dodge /Hemi fan forever. Had a Ram that had no problems. This is ridiculous!! A coupon? Thanks.
Understood. So our team can look in to this further, please send us a private message.

Kate
DodgeCares

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
There is an entire thread about this. Search. Many of us had Dodge customer care fix this. 1 (800) 423-6343
But it’s easier to join and ask rather taking 30 seconds of searching here or google and once I get the answer they never post anything again.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
There is an entire thread about this. Search. Many of us had Dodge customer care fix this. 1 (800) 423-6343
Got ~38k miles, what’s the likelihood they replace the ones in my ‘18 R/T that JUST started happening? Literally just within this past week started since I no longer have a garage to use to put the car in and Texas heat + no window tint. :(

I’ve got a source for a complete set of door panels with low miles but would prefer to have them replaced under warranty obviously.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Got ~38k miles, what’s the likelihood they replace the ones in my ‘18 R/T that JUST started happening? Literally just within this past week started since I no longer have a garage to use to put the car in and Texas heat + no window tint. :(

I’ve got a source for a complete set of door panels with low miles but would prefer to have them replaced under warranty obviously.
My '17 Sp has been garaged (with the exception of a few road trips) and the windows are tintesd since I bought it. Last week I noticed mine lifting as well. I think it's more shite materials than our Texas heat (this time lol)

I have a very friendly dealer, I don't think I'll have issues getting replaced when I do take it down there. I'm out of time on warranty by a few months but only have 24k miles on it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have 122,800 miles on my 2013 with 20% tint and just a week ago I noticed the drivers side slight pulling away. It's a 7 year old car so I'll just keep my eye on it for now, but yes quite a few people have had this problem.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
My '17 Sp has been garaged (with the exception of a few road trips) and the windows are tintesd since I bought it. Last week I noticed mine lifting as well. I think it's more shite materials than our Texas heat (this time lol)

I have a very friendly dealer, I don't think I'll have issues getting replaced when I do take it down there. I'm out of time on warranty by a few months but only have 24k miles on it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
That’s disappointing. Well if this set of practically new door panels begin to peel I’ll just staple them shits. Haha.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The dealers will likley say no. 2 by me wouldn't entertain covering it. Your past 36K sorry, wouldn't even look at it. asshats...
So your going to have to call customer care & open a case. Given the scope I don't think they will not approve it. Once approved they will contact the dealer to set an appointment. Then the delaer will have to supply pics & a work order & submit it FCA. Once they have final approval they will order the door panel & call you once it's there to get it done.The process should take 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I just did another one of the panels in the wife's Rallye last week. The problem is the foam backing on the vinyl- it swells up with heat and or humidity (it is really dry here so more to do with heat). If you look very closely at the panel off the car you will see that the vinyl/foam is stretched over the plastic frame and glued into a very thin channel (1/8") on the back side. When the foam expands to much it pops the vinyl out of the channel and then it just goes all to hell after that. Getting new panels won't work in the long run, those will pop loose sooner or later too.

I glued the drivers door on my white car and have now stapled both front doors on hers...stapling is a lot faster & easier but if you are not extremely careful some of the staples will be visible. I also remove the foam from the top 1/2" to 3/4" inch so that there is enough material to stretch over the frame. I paint the staples with grey-black acrylic paint and when dry cover them with RTV. The third pic shows the channel I'm referring to very well::

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just did another one of the panels in the wife's Rallye last week. The problem is the foam backing on the vinyl- it swells up with heat and or humidity (it is really dry here so more to do with heat). If you look very closely at the panel off the car you will see that the vinyl/foam is stretched over the plastic frame and glued into a very thin channel (1/8") on the back side. When the foam expands to much it pops the vinyl out of the channel and then it just goes all to hell after that. Getting new panels won't work in the long run, those will pop loose sooner or later too.

I glued the drivers door on my white car and have now stapled both front doors on hers...stapling is a lot faster & easier but if you are not extremely careful some of the staples will be visible. I also remove the foam from the top 1/2" to 3/4" inch so that there is enough material to stretch over the frame. I paint the staples with grey-black acrylic paint and when dry cover them with RTV. The third pic shows the channel I'm referring to very well::
This is what I will do if/when I have this issue. A tutorial on taking the panel off would be a great help.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Lets see, there are three screws and a push pin: (1) there is a Phillips head screw behind the door handle - pop out the cover plate with a small common screwdriver (2) a Phillips head screw in the armrest -again pop out the cover plate (3) another Phillips screw on the rear part of the door panel that sits inside a rubber donut. (4) A tricky push pin is on the front side of the door panel above the speaker... be CAREFUL ... you push it in not quite a 1/4" and then the head of the fastener comes off ... if you push too far it falls inside the door (forever) and you have to replace the whole fastener with another type (like the ones that hold the fender liners on).

(5) get a FAT plastic panel tool and pry the bottom and sides of the door loose..there are several pins on the inside that are tough to start, but once started they pop loose quickly (yellow and white pins in the second pic). When the bottom and sides are free pull the panel up to get the rubber strip off the door frame. Then you have to unhook all the wiring connectors to the window stitches and lights and then the cable to the door handle. (6) once you have the panel off, remove the rubber strip from the top and put it back on the door frame--makes it 1000% easier to put the panel back on the door (push in on the silver clip with a screwdriver to get the clips loose (see first pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Just bought a complete set of door panels with leather inserts from a totaled 2019 Hellcat that had only 4K miles ($295 total for the win!). If these start to warp I’ll just staple them...OR pay a visit to @krautmaster with some beer in hand to take him up on his offer to staple for me. Haha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts