Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here!

I'm not new to the Hemi/Mopar world - I currently own a '14 Hemi Ram Sport 4x4.. Anyways, I paid it off a couple months ago - and like the sucker I am, I'm going to jump right back into a car payment (Lol) with a 2016 or 2017 Charger SRT 392 in a few months. Just working on building a large cash fund to throw down (not a fan of huge payments or being upside down on the financing when I leave the dealer lot).

My question is about tuners for the new Chargers. I'm a huge fan of my Trinity I have for my Ram. After tuning on just 89 octane, I picked up a little power, and I saw fuel consumption go down. I have a 93 tune for it as well, which actually picked up 30whp and 35wtq over the stock tune - and my truck is completely stock besides a K&N drop in filter, and the tuner. But with my '14, there was no need for an ECU swap. I've had my truck in for warranty work since, and flashing the ECU back to stock is easy enough, and I haven't had any issues with my usual dealer. I'm guessing they aren't aware that I've been flashing it. Or I guess it's possible that they are aware, and don't care.

So, being bored as hell at work, I'm reading (whatever's available) about swapping the modified PCM in for the 2015+ and what caught my eye was needed to enter in the vehicle mileage for the modified PCM... Being in IL - an emission testing state - the first time the car goes in for emissions testing (which is only a OBD II test these days), the mileage is also recorded. That's important to note, because services like carfax and autocheck pull mileage reports from emissions as well as dealer services, ect... So what's the way around this? If any... What happens when the car goes in for warranty work? Leave the modified PCM in there? Swap it out? Will the actual mileage be way off if it's swapped back to stock? Also, if you were to sell the car - what then? If the stock PCM shows less mileage than the last data point available from carfax, ect. there will be red flags for a potential buyer...

Any feedback would be great! I'm mostly curious about this, it's still a ways away from being a real issue anyways, and certainly isn't going to stop me from buying the car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Unless somthing has changed recently with them the PCM doesn't store the mileage. The BCM does

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
163 Posts
That I am not sure of but if it indeed did track the mileage then I do not think Diablo would list the below in their information. Maybe worth a call to Diablo to see what they have to say.
"If you need to go to the dealership for service work, re-install your original PCM and the dealer will not be able to tell that you have done any modifications."

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ordered a ECU and DCX tuner for my 2016 392. They are going in tonight along with a CAI, 180 t-stat. The ported TB is already installed. Neither the mileage or the key fobs are affected by the ECU swap. I chose not to go with the trinity because I don't need it on the windshield as the SRT has the timers and functions that trinity has over the DCX. I did a baseline dyno at 407/409. After I get the tune adjusted for the 91 octane and the other mods, I'll do another set of pulls to see what the improvement was. I'll post pics tonight (maybe tomorrow, I don't get off until 9 CST) of the CAI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts