Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car makes a click sound. And pretty sure it’s a starter after I did a few things. First I disconnected the battery + & - for 2 mins and nothing same click. I knew battery wasn’t an issue but tried jumping it and same no start just hard click. Pulled starter relay and put different relay and same thing happened. Even gave her the old school starter tap and nada. Any suggestions please and thank you.
Can’t wait for you all to tell me how terrible it is to then change the starter
Also it was previously owned by the NC state police and I flew down and brought it back to Cape cod, Ma

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Since it's a retired LE car, if the starter is original, it's got a gazillion start cycles on it. I would pull it, and have it tested. Re the battery, is it brand new, or has it been load tested? If not, the battery can still be an issue. Making sure the battery is 100%, is easier than pulling the starter.

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for writing. First time ever posting. And okay I don’t see why it would be the battery but I guess possible, lol I am the one looking for help. I will load test tomorrow. But all the power seems to be normal. It did go from NC kind of cold to New England feel likes 5° out. For the last 3 weeks. Again thank you. So glad I found this and have soo many questions on the pursuit just to learn whatever I can.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Nice looking Charger. How many miles? How many idling hours?

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
115k and 1500 idling. Only saw highways and have a folder full of paper work on everything ever done to it. Why I was so lost today when the no start but either battery or starter. Maybe the cold and raw weather last 2 weeks here are a factor.. idk lol I know my f250 6.0 in and out. New world to me and it’s called mopar

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,111 Posts
Also thank you! I guess it was pursuit “street edition”
They had street appearance packages, but typcially those had different rims and foglights. Inside there was a halfway center console.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I’ve seen and heard that too but mine never had a cage or someone who was arrested in it. It never had a spot light and the back doors have handles that work from the inside. And I have a upgraded Center console

·
Registered
245 Posts
It sounds like a starter problem.
Usually it's been the appearance packages I've seen that have the full hub caps. An overhead console is a give away if it has it. Sometimes the full floor one is removed for a radio console.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
X 2 on evaluating the battery first. Ok on the 115k, and 1500 idling hours. Those idling hours add another 49,500 miles to the engine over and beyond the 115k. Still pretty young. I agree it must not have been a road car. The paint looks to good for that. Nice find!

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like a starter problem.
Usually it's been the appearance packages I've seen that have the full hub caps. An overhead console is a give away if it has it. Sometimes the full floor one is removed for a radio console.
Ya
Welcome to the forum. Since it's a retired LE car, if the starter is original, it's got a gazillion start cycles on it. I would pull it, and have it tested. Re the battery, is it brand new, or has it been load tested? If not, the battery can still be an issue. Making sure the battery is 100%, is easier than pulling the starter.

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So went to get car towed to my house today and tried to start it just to maybe be lucky and it’s started. Took it home and in the driveway it started twice after I Parker and that was it. So 99.5% it’s the starter. No the fun of awd starter change lol. Seen a few videos on it but was for 300c awd but had 5.7 so have to imagine being pretty similar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Don
So went to get car towed to my house today and tried to start it just to maybe be lucky and it’s started. Took it home and in the driveway it started twice after I Parker and that was it. So 99.5% it’s the starter. No the fun of awd starter change lol. Seen a few videos on it but was for 300c awd but had 5.7 so have to imagine being pretty similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One way to find out if its the starter is when it acts up again, take a hammer and wrap hard on the starter and then try starting the car. If the starter works, then its the starter and the brushes are worn out on it. If it don't start, then for sure its the starter.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
11 Posts
Wrapping on the starter still works? Haven’t had to do that in ages, I know starters haven’t changed much, just haven’t heard someone say put a hammer to the starter in a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Chief:
Sorry about that. Wrong party.
Comment was directed to 2015CPS.

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey guys sorry for the delay. I’ve been moving and driving my f250 6.0. But I did end up changing the starter myself. Right before I was going to get it towed the day after it wouldn’t start. I did a run down of everything everyone suggested. And for having the little bit of smarts that I have. I was thinking starter. Right before going on the tow truck I said let me try one more time and it started! I drove home and did the starter. But first I kept hearing you have to drop the steering rack and all this stuff. I started to loosen all the bolts for the steering rack and just making sure everything would break lose and tightened back. Was getting annoyed it was getting dark. And still teens on the cape and just said let’s try to get the starter out or free and resting above steering rack and I’ll finish the next day. So was easy to get starter bolts etc. starter wouldnt come out with steering rack at first. But it was so close. I FLIPPED the starter in the little bit of room There is and the sucker popped right out! Was finished in 20 mins.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will say. The pursuit has a little wheel gap, But it’s still low to the ground. The weight of the car makes me nervous too with only jacks and stands. Idk why lol. Doing mid muffler delete today. Thinking about starting a YouTube channel on 2015 5.7 awd pursuit stuff. Trying to stay with the pursuit look and different adding Detroit Steel Wheels. 20x9.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts