Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the dashboard "cover" on a 2015 Charger yet? I have it completely unbolted including the 3 bolts at the top front of the dash by the windshield. It is loose, but appears to be hanging up at the front near the windshield. My guess would be the defrost vents ?? Looks as if I pull hard enough it may "break" loose. Having said that I am not too excited about "breaking" something isn't already broke. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Has anyone replaced the dashboard "cover" on a 2015 Charger yet? I have it completely unbolted including the 3 bolts at the top front of the dash by the windshield. It is loose, but appears to be hanging up at the front near the windshield. My guess would be the defrost vents ?? Looks as if I pull hard enough it may "break" loose. Having said that I am not too excited about "breaking" something isn't already broke. Any help greatly appreciated.
You need a service manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Service manual would be nice but 3 week backorder. The problem is definitely the defrost ductwork as it is attached to the dashboard with 8 screws - 4 on each side. (2 vent openings on top but it is a single piece ductwork underneath). The screws that attach the defrost ductwork to the dashboard are installed from the underside of the dash! With a lot of luck and much effort I could probably get to 4 of them.
Thinking if I remove the windshield I may be able to lift the dash up high enough to be able to remove the dash and defrost ductwork together. Not sure how ductwork is connected though and it being in the center of the dash I am unable to see it or how far it goes. My 2015 Challenger looks the same and they are definitely different than the 2014. If anyone has successfully remove a 2015 charger dashboard any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you go to a dealership and ask a lot of times they will look it up and tell you unless they are jerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hellcat conversion after wreck..

I failed to mention in the beginning that my wife wrecked her 2015 SXT Charger T boning a suburban. I bought the car back from the insurance company and decided to replace the broken front end pieces (Hood/Bumper) with Hellcat parts.
Sent the car to a frame shop for frame straightening and hired out for the windshield replacement (x2). The rest of the work I completed myself.
After talking to several dealerships, and not one of them having yet to replace a dash panel on a 2015 charger, I did get several pages emailed by a dealer that gave the procedure for replacing the dashboard cover. It requires removing the entire dash assembly as a unit (basically gutting the interior, Steering column, all wiring, a/c, Heating, etc) and then place assembly on workbench and remove the defrost ductwork as it is screwed in from the bottom up as these screws are impossible to remove with the dash assembly in the car, then remove and replace the airbag and dash panel cover.
Having the dash panel and passenger airbag as the last items to complete my project, I decided to remove the windshield and attack this procedure from a little different angle than Dodge recommends!
With the windshield removed, I decided to cut the front 3"-4'' (used a Jigsaw took less than a minute) of the dash panel that was attaching the defrost ductwork to the dashboard. Remember you must have everything removed from the dash - instrument cluster, gages, radio, Climate control panel, all screws attaching dash cover to dash assembly. Most items are just held on by clips. I think only the radio, gages, and lower panel right in front of shifter have screws. I did not remove the shifter, only popped the cover up and rotated it as need to remove the 2 screws holding the lower tray in.
You must remove the four bolts holding the center console that are located under a pad in the console. It is not necessary to "take" out the console, simply unplug one wire connector (goes to USB ports) on the front right side near the shifter. It is a white connector. That will allow you to push the console back about 8 inches which is needed for the dash to clear when coming out and going back in... It will want to keep moving back In place, just push it back as needed.
Then I was able to very easily remove the dash panel cover from the dash assembly out of the passenger side by lifting it over the steering wheel. (note you must first unbolt the passenger airbag 6 bolts from the dash and support bar, this will leave the airbag laying down against the blower motor). Now without the weight and stress of the entire dash panel removed, the 3-4"s of dash panel remaining makes it easy enough to lift it up a couple inches and use a small ratchet wrench (6mm?) to remove those 8 pesky screws. Now with "all" of the dash panel removed, you can get ready to install the new dash panel with a few modifications. What I did was install Nut Plates (#8 screw thread) onto the defrost vent (8 total). Next drill out the 8 holes in the new dash panel just large enough to fit some 1" long #8 screws into the nut plates that are now attached to the defrost vent.
What this does is allows you to attach the defrost ductwork to the new dash panel from the top down instead of having to remove the entire dash assembly saving countless hours and having to service the a/c, Heating, etc.....
Hope this information helps someone as I spent the last 2 months searching the internet for dash panel removal procedure for a 2015 Charger and found nothing!!
Putting up some pics - only let me put up 5. Have more if interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
WOW. Great work, you must have really loved the car to buy it back. Looks like you got the skills to fix it too. Kudos and good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - it turned out to be a "fun" and interesting undertaking. Looks and drives as good as new!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you danjag1! You have no idea how much time I've spent already teying to remove dash panel on a 2016 Charger Hellcat, it's been driving me nuts! Luckily I have to replace the windshield anyways so on Monday I'll be teying your method. Just to clarify one thing, what exactly did you have to cut with a jigsaw to gain access to 8 screws holding the defrost ductwork? Thanks in advance...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you danjag1! You have no idea how much time I've spent already teying to remove dash panel on a 2016 Charger Hellcat, it's been driving me nuts! Luckily I have to replace the windshield anyways so on Monday I'll be teying your method. Just to clarify one thing, what exactly did you have to cut with a jigsaw to gain access to 8 screws holding the defrost ductwork? Thanks in advance...

Sorry for grammatical errors. For some reason my smart phone thinks "teying" is a proper spelling for word "trying"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for grammatical errors. For some reason my smart phone thinks "teying" is a proper spelling for word "trying"

If you have the new replacement dash cover, you will see the area that goes closest to the windshield where the screw holes (8) that come up from under the ductwork. They screw into the dash cover from the bottom up as they are installed at the factory prior to the entire dash assembly going into the car.
What I did was cut off approx 3" of the dash cover dash cover so I could remove it. It does not require much cutting as you are only after separating the piece that is screwed to the defrost ductwork. It will be pretty obvious once you have the windshield removed. If you are not sure, send me a picture of the front of the dash when you get the windshield removed and i will point it out to you. Using nutplates on the defrost ductwork will allow you to secure it back into place from the top down. I have not had a single problem whatsoever in the almost 2 years since I completed the project.

Good luck,

Danny

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have the new replacement dash cover, you will see the area that goes closest to the windshield where the screw holes (8) that come up from under the ductwork. They screw into the dash cover from the bottom up as they are installed at the factory prior to the entire dash assembly going into the car.
What I did was cut off approx 3" of the dash cover dash cover so I could remove it. It does not require much cutting as you are only after separating the piece that is screwed to the defrost ductwork. It will be pretty obvious once you have the windshield removed. If you are not sure, send me a picture of the front of the dash when you get the windshield removed and i will point it out to you. Using nutplates on the defrost ductwork will allow you to secure it back into place from the top down. I have not had a single problem whatsoever in the almost 2 years since I completed the project.

Good luck,

Danny
Ok, the old dash came out with no problems once windshield was removed. Where did you buy the new dash and how much did it you pay for it? The cheapest I found it online was $1276 + freight...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, the old dash came out with no problems once windshield was removed. Where did you buy the new dash and how much did it you pay for it? The cheapest I found it online was $1276 + freight...

I didn't have to cut anything, just removed the two screws attaching ductwork to A-pillars and two more screws in the center attaching ductwork to the dash panel support. I was then able to lift it up just enough to remove eight screws from underneath. I further followed your nut plate method which is much easier and practical when reassembling the dash. Btw, I had the windshield out during the process, so it was much easier for me. It was cracked and needed to ne replaced anyways. I also replaced those crappy 3.5" Alpine speakers made of paper with a pair of nice JBL GX302 2.3ohm speakers, they sound a world better. Lastly, I replaced the standard "Charger" dash logo with an "SRT" one. The dash cost me $1,266.00 and I picked it up from the local Dodge dealership. It was impossible to find a used one. Thanks for the info man!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I decided to cut the front 3"-4'' (used a Jigsaw took less than a minute) of the dash panel that was attaching the defrost ductwork to the dashboard.
There's instructions on Alldata. While that's lacking alot of things, it didn't mention cutting.
Here's the part where it shows near the windshield

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2017 Dodge Charger rt and I also have to replace my rash because of the deployed airbag I havnt been able to find a used one online but I did find a couple for the 2011-2014 charger and they look identical has anyone tried this before ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts