Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the board and need some of your expertise. I'm in Canada and stock on these cars is terrible. I'm in a city of 1,000,000 + people and out of 8 dealerships in the area there are 3 HCs in stock, two black and one red. I had decided on the red one when I realized it does NOT have the Harmon Kardon audio package. I despise the thought of aftermarket stereo equipment so that isn't going to happen. My question is this, is the HC system a big step up in performance? I'm mostly looking for full sound with decent bass. I hate tinny sounding stereo systems.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
I have the HK system in my 2015 SRT and I have to say I am not super impressed.

Supposedly there is an amp and subwoofer, but the bass response is horrible, especially at normal volumes.

If I crank it way up there is more bass, but I don't typically drive around with it at that volume.

The Kicker system in my 2010 is much better.

That said I have only listened to Sirius and some people say that with better quality input the system sounds better.

But WTF because I only listen to Sirius in the car...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Supposedly there is an amp and subwoofer, but the bass response is horrible, especially at normal volumes.

If I crank it way up there is more bass, but I don't typically drive around with it at that volume.

That said I have only listened to Sirius and some people say that with better quality input the system sounds better.

I daily drive a 2010 Ram with the Alpine system (built in sub) and I'm pretty happy with it. And even in my truck, the satellite radio always sounds like crap compared to pretty much all other inputs.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
I daily drive a 2010 Ram with the Alpine system (built in sub) and I'm pretty happy with it. And even in my truck, the satellite radio always sounds like crap compared to pretty much all other inputs.
OK, lemme throw in my i-Pod when I get home tonight and let you know what I think with that.

There's no CD drive as an FYI.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the board and need some of your expertise. I'm in Canada and stock on these cars is terrible. I'm in a city of 1,000,000 + people and out of 8 dealerships in the area there are 3 HCs in stock, two black and one red. I had decided on the red one when I realized it does NOT have the Harmon Kardon audio package. I despise the thought of aftermarket stereo equipment so that isn't going to happen. My question is this, is the HC system a big step up in performance? I'm mostly looking for full sound with decent bass. I hate tinny sounding stereo systems.

TIA
TIA, follow this 2 links from another forum where the HK audio has been discussed to great lenghts then decide.

I personally have had my 392 with the HK upgrade since Feb 14th and I love everything about my car, EXCEPT THE AUDIO!!! IMHO, Its a waste of 2k.

http://www.******************/showthread.php?t=174232

http://www.******************/showthread.php?t=174454

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Well, I guess I cant do that here, just substitute the S with a Z. Good Luck.
LOL> Yep.

Try posting a link to here over there and the same thing will happen.

·
Registered
324 Posts

FLEX, Sirius audio quality is so bad I struggle to pay the bill for it. I refuse unless they offer me a $20 for 5 mo. deal. I use it as a means to hear new music and feel like I'm listening to a radio sometimes - otherwise, it's my phone with Google Music.

SiriusXM internet radio sounds a bit better if you can spare the data, otherwise I'd not use it at all and find other means of music listening. You're putting the sound system in your car to shame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went to the dealership yesterday to listen in person to A) the Hellcat with the base stereo and another vehicle (happened to be a Jeep SRT) with the HK system and to be honest, if I paid $2000 for the upgrade I would be pissed too! I found a very minor difference between the two and that was with jumping straight from one vehicle to the next. If I would have had a coffee in between I don't know that I could tell the difference.

So the fears have been alleviated, I have entered into purchase negotiations.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have the HK system in my 14 SRT and I am not thrilled with its perfomance. I feel it's under powered and audio just ok.

My Lexus and Acura systems were both nicer. Our MDX audio blows my dodge out of the the water :(

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I thought the whole idea of driving a Hellcat was to listen to the 707 horses stampeding...

I could car less if the thing had a stereo or not....>:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went from a 392 with the HK to the base HC system. The HK was nice but there's not enough of a difference to justify $2k and a trunk full of subwoofer. I'd rather use that space under the trunk mat for storage. I've also heard of problems with the HK. I had to get a speaker replaced right off the bat. Idiots broke one of my interior moldings in the process so that had to be replaced too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Here we go about the HK again.

1) If your car is built after April 08, you have the newest flash in and it should sound very good (Mine sounds better than my 13 and anything past sound level 25 is hurting my ears, I listen to it at about 20 most of the time or lower)

2) If you car is built BEFORE April 08, there is a TSB out to fix the poor sound quality issue, you can go to your dealer for the flash

2) You MUST use very high quality music (like Itunes), the HK is very picky about that, if your songs are less than 13mb, it should sound like crap

3) Radio will sound like crap no matter what

As much as I would've liked to have the HK standard like the challengers, I do not regret having paid for it

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here we go about the HK again.

1) If your car is built after April 08, you have the newest flash in and it should sound very good (Mine sounds better than my 13 and anything past sound level 25 is hurting my ears, I listen to it at about 20 most of the time or lower)

2) If you car is built BEFORE April 08, there is a TSB out to fix the poor sound quality issue, you can go to your dealer for the flash

2) You MUST use very high quality music (like Itunes), the HK is very picky about that, if your songs are less than 13mb, it should sound like crap

3) Radio will sound like crap no matter what

As much as I would've liked to have the HK standard like the challengers, I do not regret having paid for it
What quality is iCrap? Sorry, I hate Apple! Haha... I use Google Play which is 320kbps audio - hopefully good enough. I still can't find good info though on if Bluetooth changes audio quality from using a hardwire such as aux. Comparing myself in my '13 with Beats, I'd say no discernable different and I'm pretty sensitive to things. Maybe the latest versions of Bluetooth don't require compression at that level? Would love some good info on this, but it's a pain losing media info and control when not using BT!

The SRT I'm about to get with HK was ordered 4/9... hopefully 4/8 was a solid fix date for all cars thereafter!

·
Registered
831 Posts
What quality is iCrap? Sorry, I hate Apple! Haha... I use Google Play which is 320kbps audio - hopefully good enough. I still can't find good info though on if Bluetooth changes audio quality from using a hardwire such as aux. Comparing myself in my '13 with Beats, I'd say no discernable different and I'm pretty sensitive to things. Maybe the latest versions of Bluetooth don't require compression at that level? Would love some good info on this, but it's a pain losing media info and control when not using BT!

The SRT I'm about to get with HK was ordered 4/9... hopefully 4/8 was a solid fix date for all cars thereafter!
If you ordered it 4/9, you will be fine as it got built a few weeks down the road. Mine was built 4/24 and it's all good

·
Registered
366 Posts

Bluetooth will definitely sound way worse than an aux chord. It's a very weak signal compared to anything else

1 - 17 of 17 Posts