Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Charge Scat Pack comes with bright white LED fog lamps, bright white LED headlamp tube lighting, and yellowish incandescent halogen low-beams. I would like them to all match. I know the headlamp bulb is an HIR2/9012LL bulb. I'm assuming the fog lamps and headlamp tube lighting is in the ~5000K color range but am not really sure.

The back of the headlamp housing has a large cap where the bulb is underneath. The LED bulbs have a huge heat-sink that may cause the bulb not fit or get too hot for the headlamp housing.

Has anyone converted this into an LED bulb to match the others?
What do you know?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have you tried the diamond bright Bulb from philips the bright white it is 5000K rating. I used them in the fog lights on my wifes 2014 durango to match the HID headlights they are really close and will not have a fitment issue. They are on amazon or anyplace maybe your auto zone local stores.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
You won't find LED setups for low beams simply because LED bulbs aren't generally made for safe, designated light output in automotive applications (which is confusing considering we, as a human race, have insanely bright LED flashlights and other things). I have LED fogs that are SUPER bright, and they don't light anything up compared to an OEM bulb.

That being said, look into HID's. That's the best way you'll find a good color match and have some awesome light output. There are the other aftermarket bulbs as well like @nurczyk mentioned but I've personally had a line of bad experiences with them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You won't find LED setups for low beams simply because LED bulbs aren't generally made for safe, designated light output in automotive applications (which is confusing considering we, as a human race, have insanely bright LED flashlights and other things). I have LED fogs that are SUPER bright, and they don't light anything up compared to an OEM bulb.

That being said, look into HID's. That's the best way you'll find a good color match and have some awesome light output. There are the other aftermarket bulbs as well like @nurczyk mentioned but I've personally had a line of bad experiences with them.
Do you know how the Bulb is set up on the 2015 I believe the HID just open and closes the cut off line when switching to HI beam? I do not know how they work on the Halogen is it a dual filament or the same concept with the cut off opened up to give the High beam. Question this because if it has a lens cut off i would get the german authentic philips HID bulbs with the ballast. I had good luck with them on my 2012 charger with my spyder head lights after market with a cut line in the lens, and used LED for fog lights to match but not much of a help for lighting up the road.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Also as Invictu said the after market bulbs like the LED and cheap china bulbs to get to 5000K have melted my connectors to the bulb and try to explain to the dealer that the stock ones did it LOL.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You won't find LED setups for low beams simply because LED bulbs aren't generally made for safe, designated light output in automotive applications...
Actually they now make LED headlights, even on some oem BMWs and other high end vehicles. I did the conversion on my '15 cherokee (before it was a lemon)...but it does require extra parts similar to an HID setup minus having to run a lead to the battery.

I checked on Xenon Depot where I got mine for my Cherokee that worked out well. Here's the site for the charger, but send them an email so they can recommend the right parts you need: [email protected]

http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-automotive-bulbs-s/1029.htm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know how the Bulb is set up on the 2015 I believe the HID just open and closes the cut off line when switching to HI beam? I do not know how they work on the Halogen is it a dual filament or the same concept with the cut off opened up to give the High beam. Question this because if it has a lens cut off i would get the german authentic philips HID bulbs with the ballast. I had good luck with them on my 2012 charger with my spyder head lights after market with a cut line in the lens, and used LED for fog lights to match but not much of a help for lighting up the road.
The headlights have the cut as you described. One bulb, one filament, and one projector sphere. There is a window that cuts off the top of the projection to serve as low beam and opens for highbeam.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The headlights have the cut as you described. One bulb, one filament, and one projector sphere. There is a window that cuts off the top of the projection to serve as low beam and opens for highbeam.

I would get a HID kit to replace it then. IMO it will have the best output of light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually they now make LED headlights, even on some oem BMWs and other high end vehicles. I did the conversion on my '15 cherokee (before it was a lemon)...but it does require extra parts similar to an HID setup minus having to run a lead to the battery.

I checked on Xenon Depot where I got mine for my Cherokee that worked out well. Here's the site for the charger, but send them an email so they can recommend the right parts you need: [email protected]

http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-automotive-bulbs-s/1029.htm
Has anyone installed the LED kits? Also, there is a module (maybe fan) inline with the LED kit. There is no way I can mount that inside the headlamp. There is a large cap that covers the headlamp bulb cavity. I suspect this would be the same for an HID conversion kit where the ballast is too large to fit inside the headlamp housing. How do you route the wiring out of the headlamp and then back into it?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Has anyone installed the LED kits? Also, there is a module (maybe fan) inline with the LED kit. There is no way I can mount that inside the headlamp. There is a large cap that covers the headlamp bulb cavity. I suspect this would be the same for an HID conversion kit where the ballast is too large to fit inside the headlamp housing. How do you route the wiring out of the headlamp and then back into it?
Yeah, you won't be able to put the cap back on. I used electrical tape to seal it up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
They normally have a plug and rubber seal that runs the wires out of the large cap. You use a circle hole cutter on a drill and that will keep the moisture out of the light.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought these off eBay and installed them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-STOCK-R3-9012-80W-9600LM-KIT-HID-9600LM-CREE-Conversion-LED-Headlight-Bulb-/381417674961?hash=item58ce43d8d1

My only problem is that I cannot fit the cap back onto the back of the headlamp. The back of the bulb with the weave is too bulky. If I had gotten bulbs with one of those fans on the back, there is no way they would have fit. Any thoughts on what will happen if I leave the cap off the back of the headlamp assembly?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bought these off eBay and installed them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-STOCK-R3-9012-80W-9600LM-KIT-HID-9600LM-CREE-Conversion-LED-Headlight-Bulb-/381417674961?hash=item58ce43d8d1

My only problem is that I cannot fit the cap back onto the back of the headlamp. The back of the bulb with the weave is too bulky. If I had gotten bulbs with one of those fans on the back, there is no way they would have fit. Any thoughts on what will happen if I leave the cap off the back of the headlamp assembly?
That cap just prevents moisture from getting in the headlight, Did your kit come with a rubber seal that was to let the wires out? I would use that where the mesh piece is sticking out. You will need to use a circle cutter where you plan on running the mesh and wires out anyway.

·
Registered
324 Posts
LEDs will never work in a halogen projector/reflector setup. They require special setups to work properly. Every LED vehicle I've seen on the road has had 3-5 LEDs per side, and they are tiny reflector areas that are very good at where they project their light.

On another note, people who put HID conversions in halogen PROJECTORS (like above), does the cut-off actually still work properly, or is there light scatter like usual?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm so frustrated. The LEDs turn on when the car is off, but when running, the LEDs and OE halos will flash 2x and then turn off. Just spent several hours installing these the "right way" and I get shafted. I ordered a CANBUS anti flicker wiring harness to see if it will fix this but now a got an email that it's back ordered.
When the headlight switch is in the parking light mode and fog lights are on, it's bright enough to use at night- for the time being. This sucks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'm so frustrated. The LEDs turn on when the car is off, but when running, the LEDs and OE halos will flash 2x and then turn off. Just spent several hours installing these the "right way" and I get shafted. I ordered a CANBUS anti flicker wiring harness to see if it will fix this but now a got an email that it's back ordered.
When the headlight switch is in the parking light mode and fog lights are on, it's bright enough to use at night- for the time being. This sucks!
Where did you order from? You probably need some resistors, which trick the car into thinking they're regular halogens by drawing enough current. It connects in line so no splicing required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have LED's that I installed with the resistors and they don't come on at all when the car is running. When the car is off they work great. I'm not sure if the resistors are bad or what is wrong. I had a 2012 avenger that I installed LED's on with resistors and they worked great! Throw wasn't quite as far as stock halogen but they were much brighter and clearer.
Resistors are 50W 6Ohm, http://www.ebay.com/itm/161607157810?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
LED's are 3 sided COB 9006/9012/HIR2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111487455659?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Any ideas on how to get them to work or how to test the resistors to make sure they are good? Can the dealer change the Canbus to accept the lower voltage being used by the LEDs?
Thanks for any help!
2015 Charger SE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts