Charger Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to find more information out about doing an LED upgrade on my halogen headlights, but I can't seem to find much about it. I have seen a couple of videos where people have done it, but I can't figure out why it seems to be so unpopular to do this upgrade. I went ahead and did all of my interior lights with LEDs from Diode Dynamics and now I want to complete the puzzle by doing the exterior lighting. Is there some problem with doing this to the stock halogens? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on which bulbs to use? From videos, I have seen one person using some bulb from alla lighting, but I don't know if there's any other options that I could go with. I also want to do my fogs, reverse, and license plate light if anyone has good suggestions on those as well.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
So I've been trying to find more information out about doing an LED upgrade on my halogen headlights, but I can't seem to find much about it. I have seen a couple of videos where people have done it, but I can't figure out why it seems to be so unpopular to do this upgrade.
Because your housings and reflectors are designed for halogen bulbs, not LEDs. In terms of useful illumination and not blinding other drivers, LEDs aren't really an "upgrade". If you just want to impress your friends in a parking lot with your "cool" headlights, they're fine.

If you're looking for improved illumination for nighttime driving, I'd suggest leaving your H11 low beams alone and replacing your 9005 high beams with 9011 HIR-1 bulbs. They offer substantially higher output (roughly 2300 lumens vs 1850 for the stockers, and those are real lumens, not fairy-tale LED lumens) with the same power consumption (55w). You'll have to modify the mounting tabs a bit, but otherwise, they're plug-and-play.

Reactions: that_guy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because your housings and reflectors are designed for halogen bulbs, not LEDs. In terms of useful illumination and not blinding other drivers, LEDs aren't really an "upgrade". If you just want to impress your friends in a parking lot with your "cool" headlights, they're fine.

If you're looking for improved illumination for nighttime driving, I'd suggest leaving your H11 low beams alone and replacing your 9005 high beams with 9011 HIR-1 bulbs. They offer substantially higher output (roughly 2300 lumens vs 1850 for the stockers, and those are real lumens, not fairy-tale LED lumens) with the same power consumption (55w). You'll have to modify the mounting tabs a bit, but otherwise, they're plug-and-play.
Yeah, I know that the housings weren't designed for LEDs, but I just wasn't sure if changing the bulb would cause an electrical issue or if the scatter from the lights would be very bad or what not. That's what I was really trying to figure out. I have already heard that halogens are brighter than the LEDs, but I don't believe it will be that major of a difference where I won't be able to see at night. Perhaps, the word upgrade was a bit misused, but all I'm trying to do is get rid of all the old looking yellow lights and replace them with white ones. I've seen a couple chargers with LEDs in person and it seems to look just fine, but granted it was during the day, so it was hard to say how much the light output actually changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts