Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2014 SXT and I want to do a navigation upgrade. I did a little search and I believe I only need to swap out the radio unit RE2 to a RB5 because I already have the touchscreen. However, I went to the dealer today and the parts guy looked up my VIN number and told me that I can't do the upgrade because "how it was set up". I was wondering has anyone done this before or been told can't upgrade?:frown2:

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I'm guessing it doesn't have the appropriate wiring harness. But that is truly a guess.

Also, I moved this to the appreciate section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for posting in the wrong section.

I have the 8.4 touch screen and the sirius antenna, I think a simple swap should work. However, I looked at many videos, they all have the traditional shifter, mine is the electronic shifter. I haven't seen a video on how to take that shifter out yet, so maybe it can't be take apart so I won't be able to access the console panel to replace the radio unit?

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I doubt that's the issue. I'd go after a second opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually went from 4.3 to 8.4 nav, didnt have to take out shifter or nothing. Just took out a/c controls and popped off the bezel, thats all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dealer didnt know what they where talking about or didnt want to be bothered with it. You absolutely can do it just like you said, by switching out RE2 unit for RB5 unit. No screen change needed for this. The wiring harnesses are the same and everything, just plug and play! I know because I went from 4.3 to 8.4 nav the same wire connection on those, so I know that it will be the same for yours. It seems to me that no car maker will change all the wiring for each and every model levels of vehicles they like to save money too!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer didnt know what they where talking about or didnt want to be bothered with it. You absolutely can do it just like you said, by switching out RE2 unit for RB5 unit. No screen change needed for this. The wiring harnesses are the same and everything, just plug and play! I know because I went from 4.3 to 8.4 nav the same wire connection on those, so I know that it will be the same for yours. It seems to me that no car maker will change all the wiring for each and every model levels of vehicles they like to save money too!!
Thanks for you input! I went to the parts department and gave them my VIN, and the guy just showed me that the 8.4 nav upgrade is not listed as an option for my car in his computer. I am surprised how little they know about the car they been selling. I guess I'll give it a go myself. Did you buy a used unit or a brand new one? Will it ask you to put in a pin to unlock it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got one from a 2011, they don't require a code but the later year models RB5's do require a unlock code unless whomever you buy from provide you with it. If the dont any dealer will get the code no charge I been told.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts