Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading some of the internal/external lights on my new 2014 SXT to LED. I'm upgrading the following only, and trying to figure out if these specific lights are on CANBUS or not (i.e. can I simply switch the lights to LED w/out any issues).

CANBUS LED bulb or some other CANBUS gadget required?
1) License plate = Done.
swapped to a Putco 280003W Type T White LED Stick Bulb - no problems that I can tell (no dash warnings and the LED bulb works). I'm assuming this Putco isn't a CANBUS LED.

2) Step/courtesy =

3) Front turn signals =

4) Front side marker =

5) Rear side marker =

6) Trunk cargo =

7) Glove box =

8) Dome/map lights =

9) Fog lights = (I've ordered PSX24W LED Bulb | 30W CREE Fog Light Bulbs).

If I need some CANBUS resistor or gadget, do you need one for each light location? You can probably guess I'm new to all this. Any help or pointers to any other thread that I may not have found is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
On pretty much most cars, the only ones that will give you issues are the turn signals!

The reason is that if they are originally equipped with a halogen, it is looking for a certain "resistance". The LED's have lower resistance, so the car thinks the lights are out and you usually get a fast flash when you turn them on!

You will need to either:

(1) install a resistor with the bulb

or

(2) install an electronic flasher unit made for LED's!

All of the other lights you listed will be fine to replace with LED's!

I'm upgrading some of the internal/external lights on my new 2014 SXT to LED. I'm upgrading the following only, and trying to figure out if these specific lights are on CANBUS or not (i.e. can I simply switch the lights to LED w/out any issues).

CANBUS LED bulb or some other CANBUS gadget required?
1) License plate = Done.
swapped to a Putco 280003W Type T White LED Stick Bulb - no problems that I can tell (no dash warnings and the LED bulb works). I'm assuming this Putco isn't a CANBUS LED.

2) Step/courtesy =

3) Front turn signals =

4) Front side marker =

5) Rear side marker =

6) Trunk cargo =

7) Glove box =

8) Dome/map lights =

9) Fog lights = (I've ordered PSX24W LED Bulb | 30W CREE Fog Light Bulbs).

If I need some CANBUS resistor or gadget, do you need one for each light location? You can probably guess I'm new to all this. Any help or pointers to any other thread that I may not have found is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On pretty much most cars, the only ones that will give you issues are the turn signals!

The reason is that if they are originally equipped with a halogen, it is looking for a certain "resistance". The LED's have lower resistance, so the car thinks the lights are out and you usually get a fast flash when you turn them on!

You will need to either:

(1) install a resistor with the bulb

or

(2) install an electronic flasher unit made for LED's!

All of the other lights you listed will be fine to replace with LED's!
Wassup RScottyL I did replace all my interior lights with the LEDs. They look nice and bright but one thing I lost the function of using them one at a time like the map lights and the reading lights in the back..I wonder what cause that

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Mr. RScottyL. I was hoping it wouldn't be a headache.

CharKoal - good question. What happens if you press only one map light? Neither comes on? Do you happen to know what make/model LED you used?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I replaced all my interior bulbs with LEDs (including the trunk and glove box) and also did my lic plate light, not one problem and everything turns on just like it did before

I have not touched any of the turn signal bulbs though

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you Mr. RScottyL. I was hoping it wouldn't be a headache.

CharKoal - good question. What happens if you press only one map light? Neither comes on? Do you happen to know what make/model LED you used?
It doesn't come on..I did each of them individually and they don't come on that way just when I open my doors and adjust the little wheel button beside the headlight switch up and down...got the lights from Diode Dynamics..the front map lights are the square board kind with the little pig tail to plug them in and the back are kinda like the ones I pulled out but those flash light in one direction

·
Registered
149 Posts
My bad I think I got those lights from VLED but at any rate they should work like the originals.well at least don't have to worry about leaving a light on accidentally

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What if you put the original bulbs back, except for one LED. Then try swapping that one LED, with one other LED. Just a thought. Wonder if they were CANBUS-based LEDs? I've seen some online from Putco, I believe, that actually had the word CANBUS printed on them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What if you put the original bulbs back, except for one LED. Then try swapping that one LED, with one other LED. Just a thought. Wonder if they were CANBUS-based LEDs? I've seen some online from Putco, I believe, that actually had the word CANBUS printed on them.
Not sure if they were canbus-based I w a s thinking when you use one of the lights as a map light for example it may use a lower voltage and maybe too low for the LEDs to work...the LEDs bulbs that you can now buy for your house comes in two ways dimmable ones and regular ones you can't use a dimmer switch for

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
My bad I think I got those lights from VLED but at any rate they should work like the originals.well at least don't have to worry about leaving a light on accidentally

Glad I found you on this thread. Have you contacted the seller? You shouldn't be having issues like that. From my experience LEDs are very very finicky and can be a pain in the ass. I went through hell with switchbacks and eventually went with amber turn LEDs that work great, but that's another story.

Start by contacting the seller. They should have some suggestions for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks I check into that 702RN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts