Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everybody! I was trying to get help to see if my vehicle is getting to operation temperature or if my temperature gage is broken. I will attach a picture of where if always sits.

On top of that, I was wondering I anyone had the correct temperature range for the following; coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and trans temp?

I have the 3.6L flex fuel vehicle I use 89 because I was told it keeps the engine cleaner. Should I be using 87 or 85 to get optimum performance from my vehicle? I'm not sure if it matters but my vehicle had 72K miles.

The the following are the mods I have done to the vehicle; pcm edits- added sport mod srt track (had low gear before), cool air intake, and I have a custom catback exhaust.

I would be happy to answer any further questions you may have in the comments.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Oreo:
First off, thanks for providing important info such as year/model/mileage right from the start. It blows my mind, when folks post a request for help, and tell us nothing about what they drive. I have to wonder, if they visit their doctor, and tell him/her , "I hurt, fix me", expecting the doctor to read their mind.

Your engine temp gauge should run around half way when the engine is at operating temp. I'd say you have a failing T stat, or bad temp sender. The DIC is reporting the same low temp though, so I would start with the t stat. As far as fuel grade goes, you can run it on 87, and suffer little to no ill effect. You "might" lose 5 hp under full throttle, if the knock sensors detect some, and pull some timing. I run 87 in my '14 R/T. When fuel prices dip, or I come across a station that is selling premium for the regular grade price, I'll fill her up. The way I drive, and no more than 5k a year, putting 91 or 93 isn't worth it.

Don

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Do the 3.6's run hotter than the 6.4's? My 6.4 has never once ran close to halfway on the gauge, which would be about 215F unless idling or at a light in the summer. It's always ran 190-197F under normal operating conditions. Slightly cooler in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
It's certainly possible, that Dodge changed their "normal" setting on temp gauges at some point. Both of my V8 Durangos as well as my '14 R/T run at or just under half scale. The few 3.6L Dodges I have driven, ran around 1/4 scale. I assume that is normal for the 3.6. Hopefully other 3.6 owners will chime in.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts