Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 'used' 2014 RT Anniversary Edition this past weekend - only has 1700 on the clock!

Drove it to work today, and this was the car's first drive through a steady rain (at least with me). when I parked the car at work, I thought I saw steam coming from the front of the car. I looked, and sure enough, there was steam coming out of the grille - as if there was a fan blowing it OUT of the grille to the outside.

I popped the hood and checked underneath too, and no leaks or extra water pooled up anywhere that I could see. No cloud of steam when I opened the hood either. A few seconds later, I heard the radiator fans kick on, and the steam was gone in a flash.

Here's a video I took with my phone.

Anyone seen this before? Is this just water hitting the radiator and steaming off?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It's perfectly normal and happens on my SRT often at this time of year. When you park a hot car with a rain soaked radiator in cool weather, you will see steam coming out of the grille.

It's being pushed out by the expanding air under the hood when the fans aren't running. Cool air is drawn up into the engine bay from underneath the car and the heat is escaping through the radiator to the outside. When the radiator is rain soaked, the warm moist air condenses in the cooler outside air and you see steam.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's perfectly normal and happens on my SRT often at this time of year. When you park a hot car with a rain soaked radiator in cool weather, you will see steam coming out of the grille.

It's being pushed out by the expanding air under the hood when the fans aren't running. Cool air is drawn up into the engine bay from underneath the car and the heat is escaping through the radiator to the outside. When the radiator is rain soaked, the warm moist air condenses in the cooler outside air and you see steam.
Ah, ok. Makes sense for sure. It just freaked me out, as I can't recall our V6 SXT ever doing that (not that we ever noticed anyway, lol)

Thanks for the info! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts