Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently offered a 6.4 Hemi with a zf 8 speed transmission (with pcm and all wiring) from a friend with a little over 800 miles for dirt cheap ($3,000).

The question I have is since the 2011-14 awd v6 models have the zf 8 speed is it possible for the 2015+ zf 8 speed to fit into my current 2014 charger R/T AWD?

I plan on ditching the transfer case and rear differential, axles and driveshaft and replacing them with MMX one piece driveshaft, Hellcat LSD and axles. Replica rims for fitment of the brembos.

I already have 6 piston brembos for the front and 4 piston brembos from a hellcat and front spindles for them to fit. I also have the 2015 guage cluster installed and the 2015+ u connect.

If installed properly am i able to get the guts and interior of a 2015 6.4 Hemi into my 2014 RT AWD without the need of fabrication?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The trans will fit and can be retrofitted (with a $1000 adapter harness) by itself, but do you really want to put that much work into the car? Are you going to get a replacement front cradle and front suspension to get rid of the AWD front suspension that you can't put rearward caliper spindles on (ever wonder why your calipers are on the front)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trans will fit and can be retrofitted (with a $1000 adapter harness) by itself, but do you really want to put that much work into the car? Are you going to get a replacement front cradle and front suspension to get rid of the AWD front suspension that you can't put rearward caliper spindles on (ever wonder why your calipers are on the front)?
Well, where can I get the adapter harness for the transmission? I did some research and found this for the cradle

I am going to get rid of my suspension and all awd components, I already have

1. BC racing coilovers (RWD) for a 2008-17 charger
  2. Brembo Brake Calipers, lines and rotors from a hellcat
  3. Spindles from a 2015 Scatpack
  4. 6.4L Hemi + ZF 8 speed (~800 miles on both)
  5. 2015 cluster and U connect
  6. PCM and wiring harness
  7. 2015 SRT Steering wheel (willing to buy 2015+ steering rack to make it fit)
Total Cost so far: $4,750

Reason i'm doing this build is for my future son, and the cost of selling my current parts compared to what i'm getting the new ones for are extremely close. I'm installing all of these parts at my friends shop with no time frame. Tools, etc are not a problem. Only concern is fitment of zf 8 speed and rear differential.

If I replace the front cradle, suspension and put the new engine cradle in along with the zf 8 speed will i not need the adapter harness?

I apologize for all the questions and thank you very much for the information! i'm very motivated for this build and have done all research by myself but this is where I'm stumped on. Will document installation (pictures and videos) if anyone plans on doing this build as well.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Sound German Automotive has the adapter harness...you might wanna chat with them and Hotwireauto since you have the wiring; the ZF TCM is integrated into the valve body (it's internal) but if you have the newer PCM and harness to go with you may not need it. What you need to figure out is how well it will integrate into the body. I have a '12 SRT, if I wanted to retrofit the ZF I'd need that harness to ensure the TCM got the info it needed (on that note, make sure you get the electronic shifter and harness to it). As the way the two different transmissions integrate into the CAN bus, I wouldn't be able to communicate (tune/program) with the trans through my existing OBD port. The adapter harness has a separate OBD port to allow that to happen. If you can get it to integrate into the dash harness as a whole then you won't need it.
Getting a steering rack (keep in mind, you have hydraulic steering while the 15+ has electric) will not make the steering wheel fit. You can fit the wheel on, the problem is the communication protocols, regarding the buttons and the newer cluster. You can use the Tazer (as you know) to allow your existing buttons to communicate with the newer cluster across the bus but the newer buttons communicate through the bus differently.
Front cradle and suspension have absolutely nothing to do with fitting an 8HP70 lol. What it will allow you to do is actually have the room to use those spindles with the Brembos. (y)
More power to ya, especially if you see it through to completion. Alot of people get into builds like this and rarely finish them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound German Automotive has the adapter harness...you might wanna chat with them and Hotwireauto since you have the wiring; the ZF TCM is integrated into the valve body (it's internal) but if you have the newer PCM and harness to go with you may not need it. What you need to figure out is how well it will integrate into the body. I have a '12 SRT, if I wanted to retrofit the ZF I'd need that harness to ensure the TCM got the info it needed (on that note, make sure you get the electronic shifter and harness to it). As the way the two different transmissions integrate into the CAN bus, I wouldn't be able to communicate (tune/program) with the trans through my existing OBD port. The adapter harness has a separate OBD port to allow that to happen. If you can get it to integrate into the dash harness as a whole then you won't need it.
Getting a steering rack (keep in mind, you have hydraulic steering while the 15+ has electric) will not make the steering wheel fit. You can fit the wheel on, the problem is the communication protocols, regarding the buttons and the newer cluster. You can use the Tazer (as you know) to allow your existing buttons to communicate with the newer cluster across the bus but the newer buttons communicate through the bus differently.
Front cradle and suspension have absolutely nothing to do with fitting an 8HP70 lol. What it will allow you to do is actually have the room to use those spindles with the Brembos. (y)
More power to ya, especially if you see it through to completion. Alot of people get into builds like this and rarely finish them.
Okay, on that note I forgot to mention I do have the transmission wiring and transmission mounts. I do plan on picking up the electronic shifter.I just need the electronic shifter harness for it to communicate to the transmission itself? The wiring RE (transmission, engine, u connect and gauge cluster) would be all 2015+ so would I be able to communicate to the transmission from my current obd? seeing as all the wiring is from a 2015 PCM and TCM from the ZF 8 speed that came out of a charger. The only thing that would be 2014 would be my steering wheel and power steering.

I'm completely fine with purchasing a new cradle for these brembos to fit. I assume the upper and lower control arms from my AWD are the same as a RWD model and are a direct bolt in.

:)
I'm gathering all the parts before I install them. Just making sure I have everything laid out and ready so I can Install everything within a week or so. I've heard a lot of people talking about these builds but go MIA in the midst of everything (probably due to cheaper to get an actual 2015 scat) I personally love my body style and find it more attractive than 2015+ models. Before I pulled the trigger on my parts I had knowledge on what this build was going to take. I've been planning this build for over 2 years and everything fell into place with cost. The only thing that caught me off guard was the engine cradle but shouldn't be an issue.

Appreciate your help Lonestar ?‍♂

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Okay, on that note I forgot to mention I do have the transmission wiring and transmission mounts. I do plan on picking up the electronic shifter.I just need the electronic shifter harness for it to communicate to the transmission itself? The wiring RE (transmission, engine, u connect and gauge cluster) would be all 2015+ so would I be able to communicate to the transmission from my current obd? seeing as all the wiring is from a 2015 PCM and TCM from the ZF 8 speed that came out of a charger. The only thing that would be 2014 would be my steering wheel and power steering.

I'm completely fine with purchasing a new cradle for these brembos to fit. I assume the upper and lower control arms from my AWD are the same as a RWD model and are a direct bolt in.

:)
I'm gathering all the parts before I install them. Just making sure I have everything laid out and ready so I can Install everything within a week or so. I've heard a lot of people talking about these builds but go MIA in the midst of everything (probably due to cheaper to get an actual 2015 scat) I personally love my body style and find it more attractive than 2015+ models. Before I pulled the trigger on my parts I had knowledge on what this build was going to take. I've been planning this build for over 2 years and everything fell into place with cost. The only thing that caught me off guard was the engine cradle but shouldn't be an issue.

Appreciate your help Lonestar ?‍♂
The shifter doesn't just communicate with the trans, also ties in to the CAN bus network, that's how you get a display with what gear you're in, how the paddle shifters work, PCM knows what gear you're in, etc. You may trying to integrate 2015 wiring and parts but you're still trying to make them all work within a 2014 framework (you're not thinking of the vehicle as a whole). Unless you're going to replace all the dash wiring, central gateway module, etc with 2015 stuff you will have issues. That 2015 steering wheel would be trying to communicate with that 2015 cluster through 2014 protocols. Only other way around that is some people (with the right equipment and know how) have accessed the bus with a computer and basically went through lines of code to make things work.

Not just the cradle, the front suspension between RWD and FWD are TOTALLY different (diagrams are a few years old but the layout hasn't changed):

Long run it might actually be cheaper to demod and trade yours in on a 12-14 SRT, then retrofit the 8sp. If I keep mine long enough that's what I'll end up doing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve message d
The shifter doesn't just communicate with the trans, also ties in to the CAN bus network, that's how you get a display with what gear you're in, how the paddle shifters work, PCM knows what gear you're in, etc. You may trying to integrate 2015 wiring and parts but you're still trying to make them all work within a 2014 framework (you're not thinking of the vehicle as a whole). Unless you're going to replace all the dash wiring, central gateway module, etc with 2015 stuff you will have issues. That 2015 steering wheel would be trying to communicate with that 2015 cluster through 2014 protocols. Only other way around that is some people (with the right equipment and know how) have accessed the bus with a computer and basically went through lines of code to make things work.

Not just the cradle, the front suspension between RWD and FWD are TOTALLY different (diagrams are a few years old but the layout hasn't changed):

View attachment 291611
View attachment 291612

Long run it might actually be cheaper to demod and trade yours in on a 12-14 SRT, then retrofit the 8sp. If I keep mine long enough that's what I'll end up doing.
I’ve messaged a few friends and Im picking up a (steering rack and pinion, electric power steering unit for $600) off of a 2017 R/T

complete front cradle with suspension components for $200 off a RWD 2017 RT. (Keep in mind I have the spindles, brembos and RWD BC coilovers sitting in my garage)

only issue now is what electric components do I need to replace my current BUS to a 2015 computer unit (I plan on swapping all wiring to 2015 to make it communicate correctly like OEM). If you could possibly lay out or list what they are I can get rolling on this build.

Getting these parts cheap due living in Detroit.....? and I can sell my current parts and have only spend a couple thousand at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
(I plan on swapping all wiring to 2015 to make it communicate correctly like OEM). If you could possibly lay out or list what they are I can get rolling on this build.
Looks like you answered your own question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
68213554AC or 68213561AC is the instrument wiring harness that connects into the BUS. The bus is located behind the glove box.

price directly from mopar is $600 I’m getting for 80

you have to make sure the options match up (speakers, steering column, etc)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Further into my electrical research I've found that the BCM from a 2014 charger and a 2015+ Charger connect through the same wires and ports.

What i'm thinking is if I replace the overall computer and use the existing wires then there shouldn't be a problem considering they will be processed through the new BCM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

For U connect, gauge cluster and Transmission unit to connect within a 2011-14 Charger you will need

2015+ U connect and climate control unit (wiring for climate control access on u connect connects through a harness)
2015+ Electronic shift module and plate
as well as the instrument wiring harness and BCM

:whistle: Still going on with this build

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good afternoon my herbs, I have gotten several important components. Here is some information for wiring and some components you will need to do this swap. This is my list of what I need currently, get parts specifically to your car. For example I have to get a new cradle and suspension components in the front due to AWD. The (###) are the max price I will pay for each part. left some part numbers too but ones that dont have part numbers are not specifc to a certain car. Wiring connects to options (ex: heated seats, power tilt, blah blah blah) you have in the car so you will have to figure that out on your own. I've gotten absolute steals on some parts just scavenging on FB marketplace. hard to find wiring harnesses that aren't cut on fb marketplace. Check out summit racing for harnesses instead of mopar btw

Parts

3.09 Rear differential max 10k miles (600)
Axle shaft new (500)
Rear Wheel Hub Assembly(140)
Front Wheel Hub Assembly WE61070 (400)
Front Spindles if not on fb 5181895AC (900)
front tie rods,components kit (200)
Steering rack and column if not found on fb for cheaper (1000)
Front cradle (300)
Brake Lines (200)
R1 concept front rotors(~200)

Electronics

ABS module 68266996AA (150)
ABS control unit 68258644AA (300)
8.4 U connect and radio (1000)
Steering column module (500)
BCM 68277389AC (100)
Body wiring 68267886AD (800)
Headlamp to Dash wiring 68274144AD (400)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update. The swapping process will be starting at the end of May. The only "issue" I'm having is finding the front wheel hub to knuckle bolts.....HELP. I decided to ditch the R1 concepts for z26 rotors and pads and am getting a set of replica 20x10 5 spoke rims sitting on 305s. Everything else I have (if anyone wants pictures of what the parts look like in-depth to let me know).

Completed the rear end subframe fully, Front end cradle is just missing the hub to knuckle bolts. Got all the electrical and the only issue was finding a used u connect with the anti-theft code (which the original owner of the parted out car needs to give dealership notice that they are willingly selling the u.connect). BCM looks the same but I want to compare the body harness to the one in my current car and see if I can save that hassle by just swapping the BCM. Instrument harness is completely different and the headlamp to dash harness looks the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Swap has started. Need custom trans mount due to AWD body, I am mid electrical right now. Trans mount will be done Tuesday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting the instrument harness situated and noticed the u connect area needs a little fab

(new dash would work fine but I’m retro fitting and upgrading later)

sverything else is smooth plug and play with 2016 body harness (besides tail light plug swap) I looked at wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
plugged everything up, got a key programmer and new key is programmed to all modules. just cleaning up dash area and tomorrow i am putting my mishimoto rad, 180 thermostat and ac + trans cooler. (yes i know about tuning fans after thermostat swap) The fan connections are exactly the same as 2014, along with master cylinder electrical plugs. Need to crimp old abs lines and apply new fittings for new abs module.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts