Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 dodge charger sxt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it all started with the check engine light. said p0481 a simple fan 2 relay. I changed relay and changed fan and coolant temp sensor. I had changed one thing at a time then check to see if I fixed problem. and each fan would start smoking but last time fan went up in flames. anyhow I call dodge to see what they can do and they send an investigator to check out the fan issue and see if it needs to be a recall. anyhow a 3rd patty had a tow company pick my car up and take to dealership. long story short tow guy dropped back end off tow truck and had nerve to laugh and then the tow guy who returned it to me was to lazy yo use emergency neutral. so he said he just drug it!!! I was in shock and when I got my car back its dead. it was a new battery. now i have a bunch on lights on dash and center screen. they are service AWD, power stearing, park assist and its also asking for a anti theft code. im so lost im about to give up please help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems like the tow truck guy messed up the car. You never drag/tow a car without it in neutral. It'll damaged it for sure. Every tow truck driver should know that. He probably messed up the AWD, steering and parking systems. The anti theft code is probably from disconnecting the battery/battery dying because someone left it on overnight? Sounds like lots of negligence on the tow truck guys part tbh. The code for the anti theft should be 0000 or 00000 (unless changed before). Unfortunately towers are some of the worst people on earth, you might be lucky if they're part of a bigger chain/company.

This day and age the news and social media can take down a bad business pretty quickly, better shot at that than getting a bunch of towers to own up to their mistake.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
So you replaced the fan and it went up in smoke? Did you repaced the fan with a Mopar one or one from a parts store?

·
Registered
2019 TorRed Charger Scatpack Daytona
178 Posts
This is a whole lot...As a mechanically un inclined person I will second what BlacktopRT said.

Hope this is not another post and ghost.

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
An AWD car or SUV MUST be hauled on a flatbed! It should never be towed with just 2 wheels in the air.
Sorry about your car, but you have a serious problem on your hands now... :(

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
An AWD car or SUV MUST be hauled on a flatbed! It should never be towed with just 2 wheels in the air.
Sorry about your car, but you have a serious problem on your hands now... :(
From the 2014 Charger owner's manual, 5th edition, page 528:

"If the transmission and drivetrain are operable, vehicles equipped with AWD can also be towed with the ignition in the ON/RUN position, the transmission in NEUTRAL (not in PARK!), and the rear wheels OFF the ground with no limitation on speed or distance."

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Okay. I had a 2007 SXT/AWD. ;)

Same was true for my Subarus and my Jeep- should be flatbed only.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Okay. I had a 2007 SXT/AWD. ;)

Same was true for my Subarus and my Jeep- should be flatbed only.
Right. I don't think Dodge recommends towing first-gen LX cars at all. But they allow it on LD cars, like the OP has. And since the Borg-Warner 44-40 is a part-time transaxle, the AWD isn't a problem.

Reactions: Ron380

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
This is painful to read. So sorry you are experiencing this with your car and the tow company.

Reactions: kendrafierce

·
Registered
2014 dodge charger sxt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you replaced the fan and it went up in smoke? Did you repaced the fan with a Mopar one or one from a parts store?
I replaced it from summit racing. that was the issue before the tow truck literally dropped my car. and when my car came back its worse than when the dealer had taken it. I changed all of the relays in the engine compartment not sure if thats the issue eaither....now im so upset dodge made more issues than what they helped with
From the 2014 Charger owner's manual, 5th edition, page 528:

"If the transmission and drivetrain are operable, vehicles equipped with AWD can also be towed with the ignition in the ON/RUN position, the transmission in NEUTRAL (not in PARK!), and the rear wheels OFF the ground with no limitation on speed or distance."
well the tow guy said battery was dead so he dragged it. there is an emergency neutral switch but he said he chose not to use it so it was in park when he drug the car.

·
Registered
2014 dodge charger sxt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems like the tow truck guy messed up the car. You never drag/tow a car without it in neutral. It'll damaged it for sure. Every tow truck driver should know that. He probably messed up the AWD, steering and parking systems. The anti theft code is probably from disconnecting the battery/battery dying because someone left it on overnight? Sounds like lots of negligence on the tow truck guys part tbh. The code for the anti theft should be 0000 or 00000 (unless changed before). Unfortunately towers are some of the worst people on earth, you might be lucky if they're part of a bigger chain/company.

This day and age the news and social media can take down a bad business pretty quickly, better shot at that than getting a bunch of towers to own up to their mistake.
tcar.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm confused how this is any of Dodges fault at all, other than the original P0481 code. No need for a recall here as it was not a Dodge part that caught fire.

The tow company is the one that really messed up your car sadly, they didn't care at all. They are the ones you need to go after. The dealer should be able to provide some data that the tow caused all the damage (other than the fan fire) and get a lawyer and go after the tow company. Providing you have signed paperwork from the tow driver that they ever moved your car for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts