Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will take pics later today, but has anyone noticed the paint coming off the front bumper surround? It looks to me like there was some kind of contamination under the base coat and now its letting the paint come off in little chips.

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
If it's a 14... Warranty should replace the bumper.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If it's a 14... Warranty should replace the bumper.
One would hope, but I did not get the warm fuzzy from the dealership. It started when the service writer could not tell that these are actually paint chips, and not something on top of the paint.

Then she went and got some monkey from the shop (this dealer does NOT have a body shop) I think it was the detail dude.

First he gets some polish - "Tried that" I said.

Then he gets a clay bar - "Tried that" I said. (then he drops it on the floor and gets up)

The last time he comes back with a wet rag - "What's that?" I said,

"I don't reveal trade secrets" he said

"Smells like lacquer thinner" I said

"It's not lacquer thinner he grumbled" (wouldn't look me in the eyes)

"hmm, that's funny, 'cause it smells exactly like the lacquer thinner in my garage" I said.

"it' not lacquer thinner" he says

"whatever dude LOL"

So when leaving the service writer ends with "I'll do my best."

So needless to say they did not instill any confidence in sorting this out.

Here are some pics, you might be able to see the tan colour chips, they are all over the bumper, but not on the hood or fenders.

cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, crazy...IMHO I'd take your ride to a reputable paint and body shop (Caliber Collision if there is one out your way) and have their tech and manager take a look and give you a write up what they figure it to be. Then go back to dealer with information in hand and have them either replace the problem or have them pay to make it right. I hate it when folks try to pull rabbits outta their corn hole...too many dishonest things going on or folks just not wanting to keep their customers happy...hope the best outcome for you.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
See if you can find out if it had transport damage and was repaired (very common). If so, it may not have been done properly and needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if you can find out if it had transport damage and was repaired (very common). If so, it may not have been done properly and needs to be corrected.
The car did have transport damage, but on the rear quarter.]

I can sense a battle in getting this resolved.

cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some more pics.

More close ups, you can almost make out a pattern.

cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wonder if it could be brake dust from the railcars during shipping? The brakes on a train are hot, stay engaged longer and discharge a lot of material. If it settled on a freshly painted automobile, the heat from the material may have etched into the paint.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Wonder if it could be brake dust from the railcars during shipping? The brakes on a train are hot, stay engaged longer and discharge a lot of material. If it settled on a freshly painted automobile, the heat from the material may have etched into the paint.
Yep. That looks exactly like rail dust that is now oxidizing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But why only the bumper, it's too localized for that.

Yep. That looks exactly like rail dust that is now oxidizing.

It's missing paint, not something lying on top of the paint.

cheers

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
But why only the bumper, it's too localized for that.

It's missing paint, not something lying on top of the paint.

cheers
Rail dust that has oxidized can cause paint to peel. It can also become trapped under the clear coat overspray from repairs following transport damage repair causing lifting of the paint.

The point is that if the car was repaired following transport damage (on top of the transport rail dust), it may have caused these issues and gives you a path to seek compensation and repair of the issue...:wink3:

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Um. I have a bright white 2014 too. I'll have to look closely at mine and see if anything is starting.

If it were me, I would go back and ask for Service Manager. I would tell him I want a satisfactory resolution. If he cannot provide that to you, I would ask for the Zone Manager's name and phone number.

You know, it's a shame that we hear the same kind of story over and over. When will dealerships realize the long term effect this kind of behavior has on your likelihood of doing business with them again?! Then you tell a friend or neighbor, and they tell one, and so on. Corporate should DEMAND better service and customer relations, and react in a way the corrects the problem at dealerships and shows the customer they care. Nope. This same story goes on. Bought new car. Problem with new car. Treated like crap and subjected to b.s. answers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Um. I have a bright white 2014 too. I'll have to look closely at mine and see if anything is starting.

If it were me, I would go back and ask for Service Manager. I would tell him I want a satisfactory resolution. If he cannot provide that to you, I would ask for the Zone Manager's name and phone number.

You know, it's a shame that we hear the same kind of story over and over. When will dealerships realize the long term effect this kind of behavior has on your likelihood of doing business with them again?! Then you tell a friend or neighbor, and they tell one, and so on. Corporate should DEMAND better service and customer relations, and react in a way the corrects the problem at dealerships and shows the customer they care. Nope. This same story goes on. Bought new car. Problem with new car. Treated like crap and subjected to b.s. answers.

Could not have said it any better! I agree

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes my paint is also chiping of my black 2014 Dodge Charger. First they claimed it was tree sap and now it was a BB gun attack. this has been going on welll over 2 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts