Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to move to a 3.06 or 9, (whatever) LSD. My 2.65 is not LSD.
I need to know what is a direct swap and if any one has one gathering dust?

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
3.06 Getrag is what you want. I believe the 3.92 is even cheaper but you will need the axles to go with it. Hubs on your car are fine as is.
axles: LH 4578733AC and RH 4578732AD

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
The axles are required for either the 3.06, 3.72 or 3.92. Was not that specific in my last post.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh oh, that money changes my mind. So no lsd without Axle upgrades eh? Are there non Getrag LSD diffs? Im not gonna track.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
If you have the 2.65 then you have the 215mm axles I believe. Not really 215mm but that is what the the parts guys call them. There are 3.06 electronic diffs (Peg leg) you could swap out the diffs and not change the axles. You would increase acceleration but it would not be LSD.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Electronic? Never heard of these.
I'll double check my build sheet when I get home. I know "performance suspension" is listed, and I remember seeing an axle size.
I like the mpg of the 2.65, but may be bumping up the power soon and a little more gear would be a nice touch.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
For what it's worth my AWD has the 3.06 open 215mm (diameter of ring gear) axle. It's not posi, but the car still spins both tires. Similarly it'll spin both if you give it gas making a turn and let the back end slide out. Now if there's a great difference in traction from side to side you definitely get one wheel spinning while the computer fights it with the brakes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Copy. Thanks. An LSD would be nice but I mainly want the ratio. So, if open, what are the compatible years for my 2013 R/T?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Electronic? Never heard of these.
I'll double check my build sheet when I get home. I know "performance suspension" is listed, and I remember seeing an axle size.
I like the mpg of the 2.65, but may be bumping up the power soon and a little more gear would be a nice touch.
Electronic as in it uses what they call a "brake lock differential". It's a mechanically open rear, traction control uses the rear calipers to control spin.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Copy. Thanks. An LSD would be nice but I mainly want the ratio. So, if open, what are the compatible years for my 2013 R/T?
The rear pumpkin mounting changed in 2015, so you need a 2014 and earlier one (see pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys. We will see what happens. I'm getting ready to add some power and pondering the move to 3.06. We will see.

From my build sheet;
DLC 2.65 Rear Axle Ratio
DPP 215MM Rear Axle

Here is my 17 year daughter old giving me a demo just after I installed my Corsa Cat Back.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
@ Kraut:
The pic you have marked '15 looks like the rear diff in my '14. The other one is not what I have.

@GP"
I believe the AWD 11-14's have the 3.06 open 215 mm standard. You should be able to find a good one at a bone yard for a decent price.

Don

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine don't have the 2015 ears, and is cast iron, it doesn't have fins on the bottom like the aluminium looking 06-14. I'm looking around.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I installed the 3.06 Getrag unit and corresponding axles. It is a direct swap, and you will need a tuner to adjust your speedo. I got mine used (all had less miles than my car) from Cleveland Power and Performance. They crated the diff super well to ensure no damage. The LSD Makes a big difference over the open factory diff. I have seen a slight dip in MPG (1-2) with the change, but overall I love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excuse the late post on this topic but it took a while for me to search (the entirety of) the Forum for an answer before asking it here...

I'm also changing from a 2.65 ratio (215mm ring) to a 3.06 gear with NAG1 trans'ed vehicle. Though I have a Tazer which allows me to effectively compensate for the ratio change via changing the tire height, if I sell the vehicle, I'd rather keep the Tazer and not have to reswap the differential carriers. I also don't want to impose this liability on the next vehicle owner by not unmarrying the device and taking it to my next vehicle (trying to do the right thing here).

This being said, does the dealer (perish the thought!) have the ability to reflash the PCM to reflect the correct gear ratio and if so, is this the regularly acceptable way to do this? Or, do they compensate for gear via tire height as per the Tazer way? I don't mind paying the dealer to do this the right way as long as this is considered normal standard practice.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,799 Posts
Excuse the late post on this topic but it took a while for me to search (the entirety of) the Forum for an answer before asking it here...

I'm also changing from a 2.65 ratio (215mm ring) to a 3.06 gear with NAG1 trans'ed vehicle. Though I have a Tazer which allows me to effectively compensate for the ratio change via changing the tire height, if I sell the vehicle, I'd rather keep the Tazer and not have to reswap the differential carriers. I also don't want to impose this liability on the next vehicle owner by not unmarrying the device and taking it to my next vehicle (trying to do the right thing here).

This being said, does the dealer (perish the thought!) have the ability to reflash the PCM to reflect the correct gear ratio and if so, is this the regularly acceptable way to do this? Or, do they compensate for gear via tire height as per the Tazer way? I don't mind paying the dealer to do this the right way as long as this is considered normal standard practice.

Any help/insight would be appreciated.
I went from 2.65 open to the getrag 3.06 It's a noticeable improvement but didn't really help my 1/4 mile times due to shifting right before the line (NAG1).
The dealer tried flashing mine, it didn't work. I ended up getting a custom TCM so I don't need to worry about losing the tune/tuner when selling the car.
A tuner can do it, but it will be removed when the tune is, causing issues. That's why I wanted it hard flashed on the TCM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess it's too easy to just make the change via a tuner but it is kind of shocking that the manufacturer would expect that you're supposed to be stuck with the ratio your vehicle was originally created with. I wonder what they did when a person wanted to purchase the 3.92 LSD from MP? Did they tell people that they were on their own?

I've heard that for the 2015 and up models it is easier to accommodate gear changes because the speed sensors (or whatever governs/speed) is in the differential. Then again, there's much less need to want or need to change gears when you're equipped with the 8 speed (which is entirely acceptable for all but the most hardcore individuals).

·
Registered
174 Posts
I guess it's too easy to just make the change via a tuner but it is kind of shocking that the manufacturer would expect that you're supposed to be stuck with the ratio your vehicle was originally created with. I wonder what they did when a person wanted to purchase the 3.92 LSD from MP? Did they tell people that they were on their own?

I've heard that for the 2015 and up models it is easier to accommodate gear changes because the speed sensors (or whatever governs/speed) is in the differential. Then again, there's much less need to want or need to change gears when you're equipped with the 8 speed (which is entirely acceptable for all but the most hardcore individuals).
These cars weren't built with the thought of end user modifications. They were built to sell as is and make money.

I'm sure they considered that some would modify them, but if you're spending money on swapping the rear diff, you'd spend the money on a small hand held tuner to change the ratios with.

As far as the A8's go, there's just as many swapping rears as there are Nag1's swapping. The speed sensor is not in the diff, it's on the front wheels. Unlike the Nag1, the newer cars don't care what gear ratio is in the diff :-D

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
So there is a difference between pre and post '15 but I still don't understand why there's no (or less?) care for changes in the post 15 vehicles Is it because speed sensors on the front wheels measure absolute tire rotation as opposed to driveline rotation? Speed sensors in the earlier cars have them in the rears - or are these for ABS only?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts