Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Charger R/T
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So when I put my settings on "cooled" they cool down for about 10 min then they start going hot. I don't know why this happens because the hot works just fine its only the cooled.

I'm assuming at this point you would have to replace the whole unit but just want to make sure.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The heated and cooled cupholder assembly cannot be adjusted or repaired and must be replaced if defective. Since it cools for awhile you might try using a different cup to see if it makes a difference. The lower section of the mug should be aluminum and fit snug within the cupholder to maximize the heat transfer. Heat is transferred to the cup to warm it and transferred away from the cup to cool it. (i.e. cooling is achieved by removing heat). There's a ventilation duct that helps dissipate heat from within the cupholder assembly. Check that it's not blocked.

When the ignition is in the Run position, battery voltage is supplied through a fuse to the heated and cooled cupholder assembly circuit board. The two heated and cooled cupholders can heat up to 140° F or cool to near 35° F.
A Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) ceramic element provides the temperature change in each of the cupholders. Direct Current (DC) either heats or cools the PTC ceramic element, depending on which way current is applied through the element. Each PTC ceramic element is attached to an aluminum cylinder that forms the side of the cupholder. The PTC ceramic elements are suppose to be self-regulating. As a PTC ceramic element reaches the desired temperature the resistance increases to prevent further temperature change. The desired temperature is determined by the chemical makeup of the ceramic material.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
687 Posts
The heated and cooled cupholder assembly cannot be adjusted or repaired and must be replaced if defective. Since it cools for awhile you might try using a different cup to see if it makes a difference. The lower section of the mug should be aluminum and fit snug within the cupholder to maximize the heat transfer. Heat is transferred to the cup to warm it and transferred away from the cup to cool it. (i.e. cooling is achieved by removing heat). There's a ventilation duct that helps dissipate heat from within the cupholder assembly. Check that it's not blocked.

When the ignition is in the Run position, battery voltage is supplied through a fuse to the heated and cooled cupholder assembly circuit board. The two heated and cooled cupholders can heat up to 140° F or cool to near 35° F.
A Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) ceramic element provides the temperature change in each of the cupholders. Direct Current (DC) either heats or cools the PTC ceramic element, depending on which way current is applied through the element. Each PTC ceramic element is attached to an aluminum cylinder that forms the side of the cupholder. The PTC ceramic elements are suppose to be self-regulating. As a PTC ceramic element reaches the desired temperature the resistance increases to prevent further temperature change. The desired temperature is determined by the chemical makeup of the ceramic material.
Great info, seriously! But damn.
World Purple Organism Tie Font

Reactions: djalbin

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,698 Posts
Great info, seriously! But damn.
View attachment 305427
I am guessing they are basically Peltier devices. One side gets hot the other cold. Reverse the flow of power and it swaps. I pulled a such a thing from a conversion fan and wired it up and its really cool to see work. Thought about adapting it into my pursuit but never did.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am guessing they are basically Peltier devices. One side gets hot the other cold. Reverse the flow of power and it swaps. I pulled a such a thing from a conversion fan and wired it up and its really cool to see work. Thought about adapting it into my pursuit but never did.
Yup, as you mentioned, reverse the polarity and they do the opposite (heat/cool).

·
Premium Member
2021 Hellion Twin turbo 392
1,356 Posts
Heated and cooled cup holders? Nifty..mine only has heated and cooled ass holders

• Haha
Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Heated/cooled cup holders, along with heated/ventilated seats, were an option for a few model years. Then they dropped the cooled cup holder feature and only offered heated cup holders along with the heated/ventilated seats. I'm not sure what they offer on the current models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts