Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing some new wheels and I wanted to know if I would have issues with rubbing? I am currently at a stock height and I may lower it down the road. I want either 22x10.5 or 22x11 in back. Any thoughts? I am new to the forum and just purchased my new charger and I am anxious to start work on it. Thanks for the input.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
It really depends on total tire/wheel diameter, width and offset.

Larger diameter wheels with lower sidewall height can still fall within the total clearance available.

If the total diameter and width isn't much more than stock, you will be fine as long as you haven't changed the wheel offset much either. You probably have about a total of an inch larger in diameter and also in width to work with if the offset is the same as stock. You have more width available in the rear to work with than the front.

In general, you can't go wider with the wheel than 9" in the front and 10" in the rear. Front tire width is generally restricted to a 245 and the rears can handle up to a 305 before rubbing issues happen.

· Registered
884 Posts
I want either 22x10.5 or 22x11 in back.
Unless you have deep pockets to spring for some custom forged wheels, a 22x11 is going to be seriously heavy. They will do you no favors in terms of acceleration, handling, or braking. They will, however, provide you with a ride that is extra firm; you'll quickly become an expert at avoiding roads with rough and potholed surfaces. Aesthetically, you'll snicker at how your stock rotors look comically small and the rubber band caricature of tire sidewalls.

Stay with 20s. 20x9" is plenty wide up front. And 20x10/10.5" rears will give you a staggered look without introducing serious fitment issues.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for input. I don't like the look of 20s and I've driven 23s and 24s for years, the pothole thing has been a non issue for me. I was thinking about the Rohan rc22 they come in 22x9 and 22x11 in back. The Rohan wheels are lighter than factory so they shouldn't affect acceleration. The big concern is 22x11 to wide? Will I rub or will it be OK?

· Registered
884 Posts
The Rohan wheels are lighter than factory so they shouldn't affect acceleration.
I'd sure love to see an independent confirmation that a cast 22x11 wheel is lighter than OEM!

The big concern is 22x11 to wide? Will I rub or will it be OK?
It will all depend on the offset for those wheels and the size of tires.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a set of 20's on a previous car that weighed less than the factory 16 inch steel wheels, if memory serves the 20's were 32 pounds without tires and the factory wheels were 40 pounds.

I have a call and an email in to the company to get the weight of the wheel. In terms of rotational mass that is certainly different because more of the weight is further out from the hub and you can cheat physics.

I'll see what size tire I can fit under there and see if that has an effect, I commonly see issues with 315 width tires. I believe I can fit 295 or 305 inch tires on the 11 inch wheel but the 295 will have to be only a few brands that actually can do that width.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They just called me back

22x9's are 40 pounds
22x11's are 43 pounds

How much does the factory wheel weigh? I have the 18inch wheel.

Factory 18's are 20 pounds
Factory 20's are 33 pounds dependent on what type.

So yep you're right they are heavier and confirmed your thoughts, which still holds no real bearing on my original question other than to provide commentary that I was unaware I asked for. So back to the original 22x11 statement will they rub? Apparently I need to focus more on tire size than anything else. Thanks.

· Registered
884 Posts
So yep you're right they are heavier and confirmed your thoughts, which still holds no real bearing on my original question other than to provide commentary that I was unaware I asked for.
We try to help newbies by pointing out relevant issues of which they may not be aware. Clearly, you were not aware of the increased weight of 22" wheels (even more weight when you include the larger tires). This was obvious when you stated that the aftermarket 22s were lighter than the OEMs.

You are now aware of this and also the degradation in handling, braking, and ride comfort associated with increasing unsprung weight that you can expect.

So back to the original 22x11 statement will they rub? Apparently I need to focus more on tire size than anything else.
Well, no. It depends on the wheel offset as well. What is the offset on the Rohanas?

Reactions: POWERMAN

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was aware of the weight, I've owned 20's, 22's, 23's (sadly I am still confused why I purchased this size BUTTTTT), 24's and 26's. I've ran the gambit and wasn't to much concerned about that because I've dealt with the drama of them. The website I was looking at advertised they were lighter than factory until I went straight to the manufacturer. You have to love the interwebz and advertising. Thanks for the information though performance is really secondary for me because of I haul kids around and I am concerned about their safety first and foremost. I'll be buying some bigger and better brakes shortly after the wheels to help with the larger rotational mass.

The offset I have found is +15 and +18. It looks pretty close to me if I went with a 295/30/22.

· Registered
884 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.