Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 police charger at 148k miles, the car has been great with no abnormalities beyond no center console. About a week ago, a few days after replacing the passenger front sill panel. My radio control panel has sense decided to go black. You can hear the normal audio when you touch the (black) screen, however nothing happens. I replaced it today with an identical unit, to no avail. The problem persisted. Checked fuses, disconnected/reconnected battery but nothing changed. Now I’m lost on what to do, and have started taking apart interior panels looking for a damaged wire, stumbling upon this wire... I’m going to cut it/solder it. But beyond this I’m stumped. Ideas? Anyone else ever have this issue? While it is a police car with many after market wires. I’ve driven this car well over a thousand miles with the radio working as it should.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'd trace out your radio illumination and dimming wires. One or the other may have been nicked or otherwise damaged during upfitting or removal of police equipment. If you've already swapped out the radio, that's most likely the issue.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Screen may have just died. Can you still get radio to play at all? What about HVAC controls?

Oddly enough I am very close to doing the 8.4 screen upgrade and may have the 4.3 and radio set for sale within month or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 police charger at 148k miles, the car has been great with no abnormalities beyond no center console. About a week ago, a few days after replacing the passenger front sill panel. My radio control panel has sense decided to go black. You can hear the normal audio when you touch the (black) screen, however nothing happens. I replaced it today with an identical unit, to no avail. The problem persisted. Checked fuses, disconnected/reconnected battery but nothing changed. Now I’m lost on what to do, and have started taking apart interior panels looking for a damaged wire, stumbling upon this wire... I’m going to cut it/solder it. But beyond this I’m stumped. Ideas? Anyone else ever have this issue? While it is a police car with many after market wires. I’ve driven this car well over a thousand miles with the radio working as it should.
I had this happen to me and it was the dim switch next to the light switch and mines a 2012 federal interceptor 5.7 I also noticed when they take out there 5.0 stuff they cut wires as well and it could be a small ground or etc opt for a factory wiring harness it will save a bunch I’m doing so not for a lot of the same Electrical issues with the cop cars because they idle high run the high and the engine gets hot so the wires take a beating

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had this happen to me and it was the dim switch next to the light switch and mines a 2012 federal interceptor 5.7 I also noticed when they take out there 5.0 stuff they cut wires as well and it could be a small ground or etc opt for a factory wiring harness it will save a bunch I’m doing so not for a lot of the same Electrical issues with the cop cars because they idle high run the high and the engine gets hot so the wires take a beating
Good call on dim switch, however that would cause all the lights to dim out wouldn't they?

Also, no such thing as federal interceptor. Just called Pursuits.

Far as the idle high deal, maybe older cars, but newer ones do not have issue and the stock Pursuit electrical system is designed to handle the loads of upfitters. With the cooling package engine stays just as cool as any other car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts