Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, sorry if this has already been answered, but...

I have a 2012 SRT Charger, daily drive, no mods, completely stock at the moment.

Procharger offers a supercharger kit for the 6.4L Dodge Chargers:
http://www.fasthemis.com/procharger-supercharger-kit-dodge-charger-6.4L-srt8-2012-14-392.aspx

Do I need any additional mods or upgraded parts to run this much power produced by the supercharger offered by ProCharger? Or will my stock setup be able to handle this?

I don't want my transmission or whatever blowing up. If I need other parts modded or upgraded, I would like to know.

Thank you any advice you may have.

·
Registered
704 Posts
From what I have read, hear and been told from local members I know, if you keep the PSI low then you should be fine. It won't net you TOO much power, but with a good installer and a good tune, you'd definitely notice a huge difference. Of course, if you want to up the power, you'll have to start building the motor accordingly. IIRC, about 6-8 PSI is the max that you can safely push in a stock motor on a good tune. I'm sure someone can correct me if that is wrong...

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I dropped my srt off for my D1 instaĺl, there was a challenger there which had the procharger kit running the stock tune. The shop owner said the guy broke his pistons after 2000km, even with the "safe" boost levels, and had to get his engine torn apart anyways. Most of the time, from what Ive read, the engine will live with 6 psi, but anything more is an expensive gamble.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Definitely appreciate the advice everyone. Thank you all.
Right now through midnight High Horse Performance has that kit for a 5% discount. Their complete system like the FastHemi's lists for $93 less not including the 4th July sale/5% off any purchase. It is a great deal with free shipping. The discount will be applied automatically upon checkout. :beerchug:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
So what would be the remedy to avoid the trouble territory? Is just the pistons and rods?
There are plenty of 392's with a blower without the pistons or rod upgrade. You just need a good tuner and not get carried away with the boost. HHP had a 392 in the shop a few months ago that had the boost higher than 8psi and they were tuning it down to 6-7 psi which is the safe level. If I had a 392 and wanted a blower I would not go higher than 6 psi and have Johan tune it. You should check out the HHP facebook site and see some of the newer 392's that have a blower being installed. In the comments section they talk about the mods the car has and how much boost it is running. Most of the dyno's actually show the boost levels down at the bottom.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got a procharger on the way. Only plan on running 6 pounds of boost and pig rich (bought the tuner kit plus a 400lph fuel pump and 65lb injectors), aiming for just 515hp to wheels. Also got the race intercooler which should help with intake temps and reduce knock (was planning on a meth kit but I read the race intercooler basically negates a need for one).

Down the road I will beef up the pistons and rods and tranny and aim for 10 pounds. >:)

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
Got a procharger on the way. Only plan on running 6 pounds of boost and pig rich (bought the tuner kit plus a 400lph fuel pump and 65lb injectors), aiming for just 515hp to wheels. Also got the race intercooler which should help with intake temps and reduce knock (was planning on a meth kit but I read the race intercooler basically negates a need for one).

Down the road I will beef up the pistons and rods and tranny and aim for 10 pounds. >:)
Congrats, Small world, I just ordered the Edelbrock 1534 system, and a 3.5" additional pulley and belt for added boost. Have to start another build thread when I gets here. Shipped by freight truck.

6 psi along with the 3.92 rear gears are going to give us some major traction problems. I am looking at putting my 275/40's on the front and putting on 295/40's in the rear. :beerchug:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats, Small world, I just ordered the Edelbrock 1534 system, and a 3.5" additional pulley and belt for added boost. Have to start another build thread when I gets here. Shipped by freight truck.

6 psi along with the 3.92 rear gears are going to give us some major traction problems. I am looking at putting my 275/40's on the front and putting on 295/40's in the rear. :beerchug:
Great minds think alike lol. :clap:

Are you stock motor as well?

If I can find an installer that would install pistons and rods cheap, I might also get the modern muscle forged piston/rod combo. But only if the install is reasonable, my 2015 budget for the car is pretty much shot lol.

I was thinking about 315 tires in the rear but not sure if that would be feasible. Max I would want to go is 20x10 wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,853 Posts
I was quoted $1000 just to drop the motor by AMP before they went out of business. They were the cheapest and best around. Not sure how much extra putting in the pistons would be.

I have 20 x 10.5 wheels on the rear with no problems. 20 x 10 would not be that much different IMO. I got them because they were on sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts