Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just quick dumb question. Im doing a coolant flush and Im trying to see how far I turn my drain plug. I turned it a quarter by hand and nothing came out. I tried turning it even further by hand and it wouldn’t budge. Ive heard it might be a 360 degree turn but I don't wanna break it and be in a world of sh*t. Nothing some pliers and elbow grease wont fix but I just wanna be sure.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
It's supposed to be a 90º turn, but you will rarely get more than a trickle that way.

You need to grasp the petcock ears with something (I like to use a long-nose Vice-Grips), and pull gently out as you turn, and be prepared to turn about 180º. It's very, very easy to strip and/or break the plug, so it helps to have a spare on hand. The flow is still going to be annoyingly slow. Most of us end up popping off the lower hose.

By the way, on a 2012, make sure to refill with gen-yoo-wine Mopar Pink HOAT concentrate and top off with distilled water. If you don't want to use Mopar, you can use whatever concentrate you want as long as it's HOAT and not OAT.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
It's supposed to be a 90º turn, but you will rarely get more than a trickle that way.

You need to grasp the petcock ears with something (I like to use a long-nose Vice-Grips), and pull gently out as you turn, and be prepared to turn about 180º. It's very, very easy to strip and/or break the plug, so it helps to have a spare on hand. The flow is still going to be annoyingly slow. Most of us end up popping off the lower hose.

By the way, on a 2012, make sure to refill with gen-yoo-wine Mopar Pink HOAT concentrate and top off with distilled water. If you don't want to use Mopar, you can use whatever concentrate you want as long as it's HOAT and not OAT.
Is 2012/13 the cutoff year? My 2013 is OAT.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
2013 is the first year for OAT. But as we all know, Mopar has a habit of grabbing whatever's in the parts bin that day, and I'm pretty sure that if there were few thousand gallons of HOAT left after the 2012 MY run, they didn't pour it down the drain. I usually tell folks with a 2013 to check their owner's manual, because I think it's a safe bet that they changed to the new rev of the manual when they changed over to OAT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you for the help!
Is the pink HOAT coolant the 5 year 100,000 bottle label?

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Thank you for the help!
Is the pink HOAT coolant the 5 year 100,000 bottle label?
Zerex G-05 is a good aftermarket HOAT if the Mopar stuff cannot be found or is too expensive.

Also, removing the coolant reservoir cap will allow the radiator to drain quicker thru the drain plug. Leaving it on while draining will slow the flow to a dribble due to the system being sealed and all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts