Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I took my charger in to the shop because it has a P0305 code for cylinder 5 misfire. When I took it in they said the valve springs and Egr valve need to be replaced. They quoted me around $5k which I thought was way to high. Has anyone else got this done? Trying to figure price point. I have a 5.7 V8 hemi

·
Registered
391 Posts
Find a new shop. 2012 didn't have EGR. I doubt it needs new springs. With a P0305 code chances are pretty good its something simple like coil, or intake leak. But honestly the No.5 cylinder is a huge fan of having it's lifter fail and eat the cam.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Jable:
AS CE9311 says, the cyl 5 misfire has been associated with a failing lifter that usually ruins the cam as well. We have seen quotes of $3500 and up for a new cam and lifters, so $5K for valve springs seems a bit much. Possibly, they are expecting to find more damage once they open it up, and are leaving room in the quote to cover it. At $5K though, you are not real far from dropping in a new(er) engine.

Cylinder 7 is one of the MDS cylinders, and you will usually see a code associated with that as well when the lifter is on its way south. I would not drive it until you get a firm diagnosis/repair.

Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Find a new shop. 2012 didn't have EGR. I doubt it needs new springs. With a P0305 code chances are pretty good its something simple like coil, or intake leak. But honestly the No.5 cylinder is a huge fan of having it's lifter fail and eat the cam.
They said that when it goes over a certain rpm cylinder 5 will float due to the weak valve springs and cylinder 7 is on its way out

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
This might be the case, but as far as I recall, we have not heard of "weak" valve springs since the '04 Hemis had spring issues. Either way, the heads have to come off to do a proper inspection. My money says that once the engine is opened up, other/further damage will be apparent. While you are in there, I would make sure the MDS solenoids are in good shape.

Don

·
Registered
391 Posts
They said that when it goes over a certain rpm cylinder 5 will float due to the weak valve springs and cylinder 7 is on its way out
Yeah, I honestly don't buy that one bit. That year range, and the common issues with it chances are pretty good its a cam/lifter issue. Several ways of seeing. Easiest is watching rocker movement. and one won't move as much as others. You can get the oil analyzed for high iron. Or pull the heads and verfiy that way. If your getting misfires at higher rpms and it is in fact a lifter than damage is already done, the lifter and cam are wiped out. Your symptoms match many folks who have fell victim to the issue. (including me)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts