Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what’s everyone’s operating temperature on a 2012 Charger with the 3.6L? I replaced my hoses, thermostat and flushed the system and mine is running around 222-226F after an hour drive at 70-75mph at 55 degrees outside. My oil temp stayed at 203-204. I have never watched my EVIC while driving so I have no idea what mine normally runs. But my needle is in the same place as before. Kind of seems a little high at 55 degrees outside. Worried what it will get to when Texas gets in the 100’s this summer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Only have one large fan and its running with and without the AC on when that high. I used Zerex G05 HOAT antifreeze instead of Mopar. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
The G05 is fine for a 2011-2012 (changed to OAT in 2013).You probably have an air pocket in it then... crack open the screw on top of the thermostat housing when it is running and see if any air comes out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You probably have an air pocket in it then... crack open the screw on top of the thermostat housing when it is running and see if any air comes out.
Thanks been doing that as well. Don't here any air in the system. Just strange the needle is in the normal spot.

·
Vendor
10,345 Posts
Thanks been doing that as well. Don't here any air in the system. Just strange the needle is in the normal spot.
How many miles do you have on the car?

The Mopar OAT and HOAT coolant is CRAP and plugs the radiator and can plug the heater core.

Here is what we got from my wife's 3.6L Pentastar with MOPAR CRAP COOLANT!:

Once I found out what it was, I designed a chemical to clean it out with distilled water and dissolve the gel that pervades the system.

Get the cleaner from us and the QuantumBlue HP Gold as it evaporates heat at 97% as evaporative as water compared to 81% from G05 and other off the shelf coolants.

Both our Pentastars run 198 to 202 with the A/C on and 95 degrees outside.

Once you open the valve on the thermostat port and it bubbles then starts peeing then you know there is no air in the heads!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well on my hour drive home it ran 226-228 degrees with 80 degree outside temp. I tested my antifreeze and it shows to be off the chart. Well over 265 degree boiling point. Pointer was pointing streight up. Could this be causeing it to be hotter? Wrong ratio.

·
Vendor
10,345 Posts
Well on my hour drive home it ran 226-228 degrees with 80 degree outside temp. I tested my antifreeze and it shows to be off the chart. Well over 265 degree boiling point. Pointer was pointing streight up. Could this be causeing it to be hotter? Wrong ratio.
No, that is not the issue. It is the surface area of the cooling system that can evaporate the heat. If it is constricted or restricted in the flow that will raise the temperature of the fluid as it can't evaporate the heat appropriately. ;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Forum Vendor for 9 years!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Too much anitfreeze can reduce heat dissipation a bit as water is more thermal conductive than the antifreeze itself.

Oddly enough, on my 2011 Pursuit I run 195 on highway 60 OAT and below but will creep up to 217 before fans kick on in traffic siting. Never messed with Thermostat (it does warm up and stay stable above 195) and the Original 1-9/16 core rad was replaced with the smaller 1 in core (I want o fix them eventually)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got home yesterday and left the car running. Cracked open the screw on the thermostat and let it run for about 15 seconds then shut it. Let car cool off and squeezed the hoses to make sure they were full. This morning, on my hour drive to work, it stayed at 217-219 at 55 degree outside temp. Once it got to 221 and came back down to 219. When I got into downtown Houston traffic it stayed around 215. Making improvements but don't know it its fixed yet. May have to take it in to have an air evac done. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Was it running at these same temps before you made the changes?

Have you verified that your thermostat is woking properly even though it is new?

Is the thermostat the right one for your car, what is the temp range listed in its product specs?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was it running at these same temps before you made the changes?

Have you verified that your thermostat is woking properly even though it is new?

Is the thermostat the right one for your car, what is the temp range listed in its product specs?
I really don't know the exact temp my car was running at before doing the work. Never drove with the EVIC on temp, just going by the needle.

Not sure how to test to make sure the thermostat is working properly.

Got the Gates thermostat from rockauto. It shows to be a 203 thermostat per the part number stamped on the plastic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really don't know the exact temp my car was running at before doing the work. Never drove with the EVIC on temp, just going by the needle.

Not sure how to test to make sure the thermostat is working properly.

Got the Gates thermostat from rockauto. It shows to be a 203 thermostat per the part number stamped on the plastic.
One way to tell is to put it in a pot of water on the stove and watch it as the water comes to a boil. It should start to open before the water boils and be fully open by the time the water does come to a full boil since it is a 203 and water boils at 212.

You also might want to try running without the stat to see if there is any change.

It is quite possible you had problems before, but this really does look like a faulty stat to me if it's getting close to 230 on the highway and you have no air in the system. I live in DFW area, have been to Houston recently and when driving on the highway mine (2018 SXT 3.6) usually stays around 205-210.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Got home yesterday and left the car running. Cracked open the screw on the thermostat and let it run for about 15 seconds then shut it. Let car cool off and squeezed the hoses to make sure they were full. This morning, on my hour drive to work, it stayed at 217-219 at 55 degree outside temp. Once it got to 221 and came back down to 219. When I got into downtown Houston traffic it stayed around 215. Making improvements but don't know it its fixed yet. May have to take it in to have an air evac done. Thanks for all the help.
You have done everything to get the air out, I would try a different thermostat first, as they are not all good right out of the box.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well on the way home today it got up to 224-226. So stopped by parts store to get another thermostat. Replaced it and topped the tank off. Cranked it up and it got up to 219 with AC and heater off. Did notice that my fan did not turn on till 219 and turned off at 212. And that is where the temps stayed for 30 minutes. Does anyone know if the fan is working properly?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Maybe the best way to troubleshoot this is with another way to verify the actual temps....Wonder if your gauge is reading correctly..? Wonder if one of those handheld infra red temp gauges , focused on the thermostat housing, and sensor area, radiator, would verify the temps actually being that high...! Low costs one are avail at HF, maybe loaned at auto stores......Obviously adding a mechanical temp gauge would be best...but not easy to do..

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well on the way home today it got up to 224-226. So stopped by parts store to get another thermostat. Replaced it and topped the tank off. Cranked it up and it got up to 219 with AC and heater off. Did notice that my fan did not turn on till 219 and turned off at 212. And that is where the temps stayed for 30 minutes. Does anyone know if the fan is working properly?

This is normal. My fan doesn't come on til around the 217-219 range.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts